brian89

Young couple

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Dear Everyone,

During my college year 2008-2009 I fall in love with the love of my life, a girl from Oklahoma.

She visited me twice this year in Holland and I will be leaving to be with her for two months during my schoolbreak this summer.

We are planning to get engaged and start the K1 process. We are both 21 years of age now. After the K1 Process will be finished and we are allowed to get married we both will be 22.

A question that rises is, are we old enough to get a K1 visa? Do they accept our relationship?

She has enough funds to support me financially.

Please let me know,

Thank you.

Brian

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

09/20/10 - Package arrived in Dallas,TX

09/22/10 - NOA1 (e-mail), routed to VSC

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Everyone,

During my college year 2008-2009 I fall in love with the love of my life, a girl from Oklahoma.

She visited me twice this year in Holland and I will be leaving to be with her for two months during my schoolbreak this summer.

We are planning to get engaged and start the K1 process. We are both 21 years of age now. After the K1 Process will be finished and we are allowed to get married we both will be 22.

A question that rises is, are we old enough to get a K1 visa? Do they accept our relationship?

Please let me know,

Thank you.

Brian

If you both are legally allowed to marry (prior to sending the petition), and if the affidavit can be met, and the fees are made, and you met within a 2yr period prior to the petition, there is no problem.

That is all they care about.

There is no age limit for the K-1. (unless the country you are in doesn't allow your age group to marry that is :))

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

Alright that sounds great thank you!

She was here during Chrismas and springbreak. So ready to see her again this summer!!

Are there more (international) couples who apply for a K1 at a young age?

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

1) Yes you are old enough

2) Whether or not they accept your relationship will depend on how well you prepare and how much evidence you provide to establish bonifide relationship at the interview.

For the USC to have the petition approved, you only need to prove that you have meet in person within the past two years.

To get the visa approved you will need to prove and factual and ongoing relationship.

Two separate parts of the process. If you have saved things all along since you met that can be used as evidence then you are well on your way. Keep saving everything.

Your off to a very good start by looking into the requirements now. Read up on on the K-1 guide here and Best Wishes.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you both are legally allowed to marry (prior to sending the petition), and if the affidavit can be met, and the fees are made, and you met within a 2yr period prior to the petition, there is no problem.

That is all they care about.

There is no age limit for the K-1. (unless the country you are in doesn't allow your age group to marry that is :))

Is there not an age minimum for the USC petitioner in order to submit and I-129F... therefore an implied age limit (minimum) at least on the USC side?

YMMV

Timeline

1) Yes you are old enough

2) Whether or not they accept your relationship will depend on how well you prepare and how much evidence you provide to establish bonifide relationship at the interview.

For the USC to have the petition approved, you only need to prove that you have meet in person within the past two years.

To get the visa approved you will need to prove and factual and ongoing relationship.

Two separate parts of the process. If you have saved things all along since you met that can be used as evidence then you are well on your way. Keep saving everything.

Your off to a very good start by looking into the requirements now. Read up on on the K-1 guide here and Best Wishes.

Awesome thank you!

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

Is there not an age minimum for the USC petitioner in order to submit and I-129F... therefore an implied age limit (minimum) at least on the USC side?

I see nothing that specifies an age, just as long as you can legally marry. So in the US, that would be mostly around 18.

But some states allow you to marry at 16 (with parents permission) - so you could file for a petition if you meet the requirement.

(that's why i put in the caveat if your country will allow your age group to marry)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Hello Brian!

I just wanted to tell you not to worry. I am 18 years old and still applying for the K-1. That is young, isn't it :D My fiancé is older though. Everybody looks at me like I was crazy when I tell them about my plans. Perhaps I am. However I feel I am old enough for this. We will see.

Good luck with your K-1! :)

Timeline

Hello Brian!

I just wanted to tell you not to worry. I am 18 years old and still applying for the K-1. That is young, isn't it :D My fiancé is older though. Everybody looks at me like I was crazy when I tell them about my plans. Perhaps I am. However I feel I am old enough for this. We will see.

Good luck with your K-1! :)

That gives me hope, thank you so much!

How old is your fiance? are you the USC? And how far are you guys in the process?

Srry for all the questions, they just popped up in me!

All the best to you!

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

Dear Everyone,

Please let me know,

Thank you.

Brian

Congratulations! I'm a former girl from Oklahoma myself! Have been in New York for a long time now, but usually get back once a year to see family. What city is your fiance from, if it's not rude to ask?

K-1:
April 21, 2010: I-129F Sent (from London to VSC)
April 27, 2010: NOA1, check cashed
July 9, 2010: NOA2 (hardcopy)
July 12, 2010: NVC sent petition to embassy in London
October 7, 2010: Packet 3 logged at embassy
November 3, 2010: Interview: APPROVED!
December 7, 2010: POE: JFK
December 10, 2010: Wedding

AOS:
April 27, 2011: Sent I-485, I-864, EAD and AP to Chicago
May 5, 2011: Received text notifications, check cashed
May 9, 2011: NOA hardcopy via mail
May 14, 2011: RFE (for incorrectly filling out I-693)
June 3, 2011: Biometrics
June 17, 2011: RFE response delivered
June 21, 2011: Case under RFE review
June 23, 2011: Transferred to CSC!
June 29, 2011: EAD and AP approved!
July 9, 2011: EAD/AP card arrived via mail
January 4, 2012: RFE
January 28, 2012: RFE response delivered
January 30, 2012: Case under RFE review
February 8, 2012: Green card in production!
February 14, 2012: Green card received in mail

ROC:

December 4, 2013: Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

December 9, 2013: NOA1

January 13, 2014: Biometrics

May 15, 2014: Green card in production!

Timeline

Congratulations! I'm a former girl from Oklahoma myself! Have been in New York for a long time now, but usually get back once a year to see family. What city is your fiance from, if it's not rude to ask?

Ofcourse not! She's from Tulsa. I will be in Tulsa in 59 days yeah! (L)

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

That gives me hope, thank you so much!

How old is your fiance? are you the USC? And how far are you guys in the process?

Srry for all the questions, they just popped up in me!

All the best to you!

Thanks!

I'm the Finnish girl and he is the USC. He is much older, which is just making this much harder for us. We have just begun to look for information and print the forms, so we aren't yet far at all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.