mspain

You speak English?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi everyone, so my question is about the foreign fiance´s English and how this could affect the interview...

My fiance and I met in Spain and lived there several years together. We were both foreigners in Spain and do not speak Spanish as our first language. However, Spanish is the language we use to speak to each other. He is Moroccan, I am Amercian.

My fiance speaks very little English, although he has studied it.

I´m a little bit nervous about when he goes to his interview in Madrid. How will this be handled? Will they expect him to interview in English? Will he be scrutinized for his imperfect Spanish? Is it an option to bring in a translator?

:unsure::bonk::blink:

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

Apr 26, 2008 We got engaged

Jan 14, 2010 Left Spain alone to the US to work & begin immigration

Feb 11, 2010 Mailed our I-129F and received NOA1

May 05, 2010 NOA2

May 10, 2010 NVC Confirms receipt & that packet sent to Madrid today

May 14, 2010 Madrid receives case and I receive a job offer!!!

May 20, 2010 Packet 3 Received

May 24, 2010 Packet 3 Sent

Jun 14, 2010 Packet 4 Received

Jul 08, 2010 Flight to Spain to see my baby!

Jul 29, 2010 Return to US

Aug 09, 2010 Medical Exam

Aug 11, 2010 Interview in Madrid

Aug 12, 2010 My "interview" with Madrid

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 15, 2010 Flight home to me

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

Feb 04, 2010 Green Card Interview- Approved

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

This is a common question for the Embassy/Consulate in Thailand. There, many of the fiance(e)s do not speak English very well. Many of the Americans do not speak Thai at all or not very well.

There the Embassy likes to start interviewing in the Language you claim you two communicate in. So I expect the will start interviewing my Fiancee in English. But they will change to Thai if they really want to ask some more questions. Her English has gotten much better in the time I have known her but she speaks Thai everyday at work and home, so that will alwas be best.

I have my fiancee enrolled in English classes on the weekend which I pay for. I bought her an MP3 player and English CDs for her to listen to. I do not know if they are helping her English, but it is something we will add to the pile of evidence to show a serious ongoing relationship.

I think the Consulates/Embassies are very tolerant of the language differences. You are from a low fraud country which MOST of Western Europe is. I think they will need to interview your Fiance in Spanish. There is no other option. The English is not a problem, an intended immigrant does not need to speak English.

I do not think any Consulate will allow a third party outside interpreter. They will have English staff and many Spanish interpreters.

EDITED to add:

Good luck.

Edited by Audy_Rob

Naturalization N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Consulates rarely insist on the interview being conducted in English. They might do this in a case where proof of relationship is required (like a K1) if the applicant says that they communicate with their fiance/e in English. However, the consulate is always equipped to conduct the interview in the local language of the country where the consulate is located. In many cases, the consular officers speak the local language (to some degree), and they will always have local interpreters available.

The consulate in Spain is probably not going to have a CO or translator who speaks Moroccan Arabic, so your fiance will need to speak either English or Spanish at the interview. Consulates can get a little weird when it comes to interviewing applicants who are from a 3rd country. This is especially true if the applicant is from a high fraud country, which Morocco unfortunately is. Be prepared as your fiance's interview may be substantially more difficult than an interview for a Spanish national.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

... This is especially true if the applicant is from a high fraud country, which Morocco unfortunately is. Be prepared as your fiance's interview may be substantially more difficult than an interview for a Spanish national.

Jim, I was wondering about this when I saw her Fiance is from Morocco. I did not say anything because 1) I am not sure if the Spanish Consulate will interview differently, in style, not language and 2) I did not want to give the OP a reason to fret or worry.

But I think you are right. It is better to give her the proper warning and have them prepare substantially for the interview regarding legitimacy of relationship.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

Guys I appreciate your concern, but it´s definitely come to my attention before now that we will have trouble, lol. My family has made it a hellishly difficult experience for me as it is, just for him being from where he is from. However, he legally resides in Spain, has his residence and work permit. So, as I understand it, why would he try to ¨fraud¨ his way in to a western country, if he is already legal in a western country? He got his papers in Spain legally, without marrying a Spanish girl- and yes, he actually got a proposal once for just this, but obviously turned the offer down.

I suppose the real reason I started this post is because I, too, am a little concerned about him being from Morocco and being profiled. I am from the South and there are alot of ignorant people here. I am hoping the CO cannot legally and will not discriminate against him.

Can they do this? We have a very legitimate relationship. We met while I was studying there, lived together for almost two years and have been together for almost three. I even have proof of us registered at the same address, with our passports and everything registered with the municipality in Spain. I have pictures with us at birthday parties and holidays with his family.

Edited by meghan.spain

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Timeline

Guys I appreciate your concern, but it´s definitely come to my attention before now that we will have trouble, lol. My family has made it a hellishly difficult experience for me as it is, just for him being from where he is from. However, he legally resides in Spain, has his residence and work permit. So, as I understand it, why would he try to ¨fraud¨ his way in to a western country, if he is already legal in a western country? He got his papers in Spain legally, without marrying a Spanish girl- and yes, he actually got a proposal once for just this, but obviously turned the offer down.

I suppose the real reason I started this post is because I, too, am a little concerned about him being from Morocco and being profiled. I am from the South and there are alot of ignorant people here. I am hoping the CO cannot legally and will not discriminate against him.

Can they do this? We have a very legitimate relationship. We met while I was studying there, lived together for almost two years and have been together for almost three. I even have proof of us registered at the same address, with our passports and everything registered with the municipality in Spain. I have pictures with us at birthday parties and holidays with his family.

Sorry, I certainly didn't mean any offense because of your fiance's home country. I think you already have some very good evidence for your relationship.

I wonder if we have (unfortunately) gotten off the original topic of your posting or if you think you have the answers? The best thing and really the only way to know for sure is to find someone that has interviewed at the Embassy/Consulate where your fiance will interview. They might not have the same issues in not being native in Spanish or English though.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Jim, I was wondering about this when I saw her Fiance is from Morocco. I did not say anything because 1) I am not sure if the Spanish Consulate will interview differently, in style, not language and 2) I did not want to give the OP a reason to fret or worry.

But I think you are right. It is better to give her the proper warning and have them prepare substantially for the interview regarding legitimacy of relationship.

Warnings that result in critical preparation may or may not be fretted over but to provide information critical to obtaining the desired result is worth the risk of a little healthy fret and worry, IMO.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Considering local or cultural issues is part of every Consular officer's job, not discrimination. Prepare accordingly.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Sorry, I certainly didn't mean any offense because of your fiance's home country. I think you already have some very good evidence for your relationship.

I wonder if we have (unfortunately) gotten off the original topic of your posting or if you think you have the answers? The best thing and really the only way to know for sure is to find someone that has interviewed at the Embassy/Consulate where your fiance will interview. They might not have the same issues in not being native in Spanish or English though.

It´s alright, I´m not offended, but it´s frustrating to be a legitimate couple with a well-known high fraud country involved. My fiance has his Spanish residence and work permit. He is there completely legal. Now that I think about it, I should have sent a copy of this in with the application. Is it too late to send it to the VSC or do they only accept documents that accompany an RFE? I´m wondering if this could be what is holding up our visa (but then again it´s only been about three months).

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Timeline

I don't think it is holding up your I-129F petition. You filed with the VSC which has been taking longer than CSC. Expect some new in the 95 to 105 days range which is fairly soon for you.

I do not think it is a good idea to send additional UNrequested documents to the VSC/CSC at this point. I do not think they will catch up with your petition. It is better to wait and see if you get the RFE but I do not think you will. There is no absolute answer to this question. It is soley up to the USCIS adjudicator.

Your time should be soon.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

I don't think it is holding up your I-129F petition. You filed with the VSC which has been taking longer than CSC. Expect some new in the 95 to 105 days range which is fairly soon for you.

I do not think it is a good idea to send additional UNrequested documents to the VSC/CSC at this point. I do not think they will catch up with your petition. It is better to wait and see if you get the RFE but I do not think you will. There is no absolute answer to this question. It is soley up to the USCIS adjudicator.

Your time should be soon.

Good luck.

Thanks for the warm wishes. I think they worked.... NOA2 approved! Text message received at 10:02 pm 5/5/2010 from USCIS.

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.