7 posts in this topic

I got my NOA for the I751 on 2/19 and the biometrics appointment was on 3/24. Last week, my husband assaulted me and was subsequently arrested. I'm pressing charges and am waiting for a court date. Of course, this is going to change things where our marriage is concerned. I'm trying desperately to get hold of a lawyer but in the meantime if anyone has any advice or idea of how/if this will affect my i751 and what I should do about it, I would be very grateful!

March 2005 - Met in Japan

5 August 2006 - Married in Iowa

September 2006 - Military paperwork filed

5 June 2007 - I130 sent

29 June 2007 - NOA1

05 July 2007 - NOA2

07 July 2007 - touched

23 July 2007 - NVC assigns case no

25 July 2007 - Choice of agent form recieved and sent

23 August 2007 - IV bill (says it was generated August 6th but only just recieved it.....)

4 November 2007 - I-864 recieved and sent back. Message says DS-230 has been sent (grrr to postal strike!)

15 November 2007 - DS-230 finally recieved!

11 Jan 2008 - Interview letter recieved from embassy

06 Feb 2008 - Inverview and medical - paperwork incomplete

I am so sorry to hear this happened.

If you are approved without interview, then it will not affect it at all. If an interview is requested, I would then contact a lawyer. I hope against hope you will be approved without interview!

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

I would definitely ask a lawyer if you need to update USCIS about your possible change in marital status. I just read a thread where someone applying for citizenship was denied because of a subsequent divorce after their I 751 was approved on the basis of a joint application.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I got my NOA for the I751 on 2/19 and the biometrics appointment was on 3/24. Last week, my husband assaulted me and was subsequently arrested. I'm pressing charges and am waiting for a court date. Of course, this is going to change things where our marriage is concerned. I'm trying desperately to get hold of a lawyer but in the meantime if anyone has any advice or idea of how/if this will affect my i751 and what I should do about it, I would be very grateful!

Your husbands issue is criminal law, the 751 is immigration law and divorcing him is family law. All these are important separately and cannot be mixed.

If you divorce before your joint 751 is finalized you must append your application to a waiver.

Edited by 3600rs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I just read a thread where someone applying for citizenship was denied because of a subsequent divorce after their I 751 was approved on the basis of a joint application.

.....and to support tracy's post, this is the case she's referring to

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/254908-n400-denied-based-on-prior-i-751-divorce/

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I just read a thread where someone applying for citizenship was denied because of a subsequent divorce after their I 751 was approved on the basis of a joint application.

.....and to support tracy's post, this is the case she's referring to

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/254908-n400-denied-based-on-prior-i-751-divorce/

Except what she meant was, the OP filed for joint-ROC, but BEFORE the I-751 was approved the OP was divorced. Their GC was approved based on marriage and there was no interview. Because they were divorced before the card was approved they should have withdrawn the petition and self-petitioned.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Except what she meant was, the OP filed for joint-ROC, but BEFORE the I-751 was approved the OP was divorced. Their GC was approved based on marriage and there was no interview. Because they were divorced before the card was approved they should have withdrawn the petition and self-petitioned.

aah yes i see what you mean.. well let's hope the OP doesn't get called for an interview..

Edited by Okalian

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.