scandal

2 Chicago state reps: Bring in the National Guard

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

So far this year, 113 people have been killed across Chicago, the same number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan combined in the same period

2 Chicago state reps: Bring in the National Guard

April 25, 2010 10:48 PM

State Representatives John Fritchey and LaShawn Ford at a press conference today at the Thompson Center, where they asked Gov. Pat Quinn to send the Illinois National Guard to Chicago. At right is Willie Williams, who lost his son to gun violence.

Two state representatives called on Gov. Pat Quinn Sunday to deploy the Illinois National Guard to safeguard Chicago's streets.

Chicago Democrats John Fritchey and LaShawn Ford said they want Quinn, Mayor Richard Daley and Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis to allow guardsmen to patrol streets and help quell violence. Weis said he did not support the idea because the military and police operate under different rules.

"Is this a drastic call to action? Of course it is," Fritchey said. "Is it warranted when we are losing residents to gun violence at such an alarming rate? Without question. We are not talking about rolling tanks down the street or having armed guards on each corner."

What he envisions, Fritchey said, is a "heightened presence on the streets," particularly on the roughly 9 percent of city blocks where most of the city's violent crimes occur.

Weis previously identified those "hot spots" and said he plans to create a 100-person team made up of selected and volunteer police personnel to respond to crime there. If guardsmen were to assist police, they could comprise or contribute to that force, Fritchey said.

So far this year, 113 people have been killed across Chicago, the same number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan combined in the same period, Fritchey said.

"As we speak, National Guard members are working side-by-side with our troops to fight a war halfway around the world," Fritchey said. "The unfortunate reality is that we have another war that is just as deadly taking place right in our backyard." While the National Guard has been deployed in other states to prevent violence related to specific events and protests, the Chicago legislators said they are unaware of guardsmen being deployed to assist with general urban unrest.

Weis countered that the only scenario in which the National Guard would be helpful is in the situation of a tornado, earthquake or flood. If the military were brought in to help with city violence, they wouldn't answer to police command -- creating a "major disconnect" in mission and strategy.

Alluding to the 1970 Kent State University incident where the National Guard was called in and protestors and students were shot, Weis said having guardsmen handle crime could be "disastrous." But he said if the Daley suggested it, he would consider the option.

"I'm open to anything that reduces violence. But I have concerns when you mix law enforcement and the military," Weis said.

But Fritchey and Ford said prompt action is needed because summer is right around the corner and with the warm weather comes an increase in violence.

Fritchey and Ford serve two different constituencies, representing the North Side and the West Side respectively. "One half of this city views this as a part of daily life," Fritchey said. "Another part of the city doesn't care because it doesn't affect them." Yet the lawmakers said they are coming together because gun violence should be a priority to all Chicagoans.

"No help is too much help" Ford said. "This is not just about the murders. It's about the crime. It's about people being stabbed, robbed and in the hospital on life support."

Fritchey said he spoke to representatives from Quinn's office about deploying guardsmen and they "seemed open to the idea." The lawmakers had yet to speak to Weis or the mayor's office.

"I don't anticipate the governor implementing it over the objection of the mayor," Fritchey said.

"I hope this doesn't become a territorial issue. I hope this doesn't become an ego issue. This isn't about public relations or politics. This is about reclaiming our communities."

Filed: Timeline

So far this year, 113 people have been killed across Chicago, the same number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan combined in the same period

How many U.S. troops are there in Iraq and Afghanistan?

What is the population of Chicago?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

I'll put it into perspective: 255 people were killed in AUS; in an entire year; out of 22,000,000 people.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Timeline

I'm not buying the argument either.

But.... keep in mind that Iraq/Afghanistan are considered war zones, and the Americans who are there understand that they are in harm's way. Chicago on the other hand is (supposed to be) a civilized city, where citizens should be able to go about their business without fear of getting shot on the way to school.

This sh!t is happening all the time :(

The young victim, Cynia Cole, was shot in the head while she was in the back seat of a car with her two young sisters. The gunman was apparently targeting the girl's father.

ColePhoto2.jpg

Unless a ban is carried out on a federal level it's utterly pointless. DC had a ban gun, so they just purchased the guns in MD or VA. No rocket science.

Too bad these kids were not armed hey. Ask slim, that would have prevented all of this.

Edited by Ali G.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Unless a ban is carried out on a federal level it's utterly pointless. DC had a ban gun, so they just purchased the guns in MD or VA. No rocket science.

Too bad these kids were not armed hey. Ask slim, that would have prevented all of this.

I'm not in favor of any gun ban, but I was wondering if there is one and if so - has it had any bearing on the gun violence.

Timeline

Ron - doesn't Chicago currently have a handgun ban?

Yup. It's being challenged in the Supreme Court right now in a landmark case (McDonald v. Chicago) and is expected to be struck down.

The ban is pretty much total - no handguns within city limits are legal except for those registered before it took effect in 1981. That obviously has no effect on the gangbangers who are turning the streets of the Southside into a killing zone.

I'm not in favor of any gun ban, but I was wondering if there is one and if so - has it had any bearing on the gun violence.

Obviously not. Criminals usually don't pay much heed to gun bans, or any other laws for that matter.

Ron - doesn't Chicago currently have a nipple ban?

Fixxored!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Ah, ok. :thumbs: For sure, this is good example that such bans are not effective.

They're not effective because they can be circumvented. As a previous poster mentioned, the DC ban was pretty much useless, because you could still purchase weapons in MD and VA and other surrounding states Single state bans are never going to be effective, because there are 47 other contiguous states to choose from.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ron - doesn't Chicago currently have a handgun ban?

Chicago does not have a handgun ban. You can have them, but they have to be registered. You cannot conceal carry in the state of Illinois.

Banning guns won't do anything. Criminals will get their hands on them one way or another.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If the Guard were to be called in, what would be the timeline....seems the job would be never ending.

I think the most effective action they could take would be to stop the -catch and release- justice system.

It's amazing how a fairly small percentage of the population can cause so much crime in an area.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

They're not effective because they can be circumvented. As a previous poster mentioned, the DC ban was pretty much useless, because you could still purchase weapons in MD and VA and other surrounding states Single state bans are never going to be effective, because there are 47 other contiguous states to choose from.

Yeah people tend to forget about that. Australia's heavy gun restriction only worked because every state there agree to it. Had one not, people would have simply purchased it from that state.

If the Guard were to be called in, what would be the timeline....seems the job would be never ending.

I think the most effective action they could take would be to stop the -catch and release- justice system.

It's amazing how a fairly small percentage of the population can cause so much crime in an area.

What is the demographic of those committing the crime? Is it the KKK guys that we hear are just the root of evil.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.