Nik+Heather

Contract Jobs

Two jobs start at the same time.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which job would you accept

• Job you want, 3-6 months, part time, lower rate, low chance of conversion to permanent
    • Less desirable (but not bad) job, 2 weeks long, Full time, higher rate, Strong possibility of conversion to permanent
    • Neither, wait for permanent

10 posts in this topic

I think the decision has already been made, but I've never worked contract before, I wonder if other VJers might have a different experience.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

I'm fully self-employed now, no regrets. I feel it is usually best to take the job you really want even if it may not be permanent if the skills and contacts you can make and industry reputation you can build there justify it. One of my jobs is on a six-month contract that is reassessed every six months to see if everyone's happy. If I'm not, I know I can walk away having worked at something I loved, in a role that had high visibility and provided me with even more professional contacts than I had before.

If the job is one you love but it will not be useful in obtaining more permanent employment (if that's what you seek) in an area you want to work in, it is a more difficult decision.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Given these choices, #3.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Timeline

Given these choices, #3.

Wouldn't it matter how long you've been unemployed and what the delta was between your previous take-home and your take-home under UI?

Given these choices, #3.

Wait, you actually voted for #1 but you're saying #3????

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Honestly? If you can get #1 to delay two weeks or give you alternative scheduling the first two weeks, I'd take both. Why not? I see no reason you shouldn't look for a job you love and making contacts doing a job you love (#1), and the two weeks with the lesser job will help pad your pocketbook, enabling you to look longer. And if you're offered job #2 full time, by all means, talk to #1 to see if an alternative schedule could be possible (since it's only part time).

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I like K and L's reply - if you can swing the timing maybe you can do both and if one does turn into the full time job, then well and good. For me, if I was looking to remain in the work force or return to it full time, I would probably take two as it also appears to be a job I enjoy and doing something I enjoy is an important aspect of work for me, plus it has the strong probability of becoming permanent. Personally, right now, I would probably take one as I am not interested in full time employment. Part time doing something I like for a few months sounds great.

I've worked on contract quite a bit - in my field it was common to work on contract for several years before something full time came along.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

a contract job? not W-2 , but 1099?

sorry, regardless of duration, that's at least 2.5 times (at least for me) the amount of any w-2 j-o-b.

if you are a w-2 employee to a 'contract job shop', though, that puts you out on THEIR client's site for work -

yer double screwed if you are accepting 'less rate' - as 'part-time, lower-rate' is an oxymoron.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I love being a contract worker.. I can deduct so much that I could not deduct if I were W2'd....... and when I do the #'s I work far less hours and make alot more $ as a contractor...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.