victorious

Concern for my friends

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't know if you remember. I shared here on VJ about my Canadian friend who visits US and decided to get married with our friend also who's my husbands childhood friend . They've been married for 2 years and wasn't able to file for AOS. Due to lack of requirements, but he just got a job and on salary now. ( so he can really file soon )

I shared VJ's to her but I don't think she tried to visit the site yet.

I just found out that she leaves her husband and the baby. She said she's unhappy with their marriage. And said that she's looking into immigration processes and will talk about what they're going to do with the baby. I have no idea on what she's going to do and she sounded like she don't know too. I just hope that their relationship will work out or something. I don't know :( just one of them isn't in love with the other anymore. Obviously its her, coz she leave. She's staying with a friend who happens to be a man. I know what you're thinking coz I'm thinking the same thing. Her husband is willing to wait for her to come back after her fling. He still loves her.

I'm bias on both of them cause they happen to be one of our close friend.

What are the consequences on her situation? and what do you think the best thing for her to do?

What do you think he should do? ( I know he will hesitate to process the papers now after what she did )

Edited by victorious

(AOS Sent 12/31/09)

AOS NOA letter received 1/12/10

1/6/10 received date

1/8/10 notice date

Biometrics letter received 1/25/10

01/14/10 notice date

02/04/10 appointment date

(AED Sent 1/19/10)

AED NOA letter received 1/29/10

1/21/10 received date

1/27/10 notice date

Biometrics letter received 2/2/10

1/29/10 notice date

2/17/10 appointment date

(RFE med exam)

RFE letter received 1/25/10

Notice dated 1/22/10

2/08/10 RFE response sent

2/16/10 received date by uscis MO

(Interview)

Appointment letter received 3/17/2010

Notice dated 3/10/2010

Interview date 4/14/2010

Approved GC 4/14/2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

To clear this up -

Your friend is Canadian, and she has been married to a USC for two years, and they have a child. They never did AOS because they weren't able to, but now the USC has a steady job and they can afford to. But, your friend may not want to stay in the marriage.

So, from this I get that your friend has been in the United States for at least two years, but probably more. She has had no status for the majority of the time she has been in the US. So, if she leaves, she will get a ban from re-entering. Their child is a US Citizen, I am assuming as well. I am not sure if having a US citizen child gives you the right to stay in the US or not.

It's a bit of a complicated situation. I think your friend should go see if she can get a consultation with a family immigration lawyer to see what her opinions are....and also see a marriage counselor.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

To clear this up -

Your friend is Canadian, and she has been married to a USC for two years, and they have a child. They never did AOS because they weren't able to, but now the USC has a steady job and they can afford to. But, your friend may not want to stay in the marriage.

So, from this I get that your friend has been in the United States for at least two years, but probably more. She has had no status for the majority of the time she has been in the US. So, if she leaves, she will get a ban from re-entering. Their child is a US Citizen, I am assuming as well. I am not sure if having a US citizen child gives you the right to stay in the US or not. NO!

It's a bit of a complicated situation. I think your friend should go see if she can get a consultation with a family immigration lawyer to see what her opinions are....and also see a marriage counselor.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Timeline

Hence why I said I was not sure sjr09, because I was leaning toward it not giving any rights, but didn't want to say if I was wrong.

Hence why I said I was not sure sjr09, because I was leaning toward it not giving any rights, but didn't want to say if I was wrong.

Hence, Then don’t get your panties in a wad, when someone give a straight up answer your unwilling to give!

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Timeline

Hence, Then don’t get your panties in a wad, when someone give a straight up answer your unwilling to give!

I wasn't. Thankyou for correcting me and getting the right info out there.

Timeline

** moved from "Adjustment of Status Case Filing and Progress Reports" to "Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas" as you are adjusting from a visitors visa and the prior forum is for K1, K2, K3 & K4 case progress/updates**

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Other Timeline

Short version: without AOS she goes home to Canada at which time she triggers a 10-year ban. If the husband agrees, she can take the child with her who at age 21 can petition for her. If the husband does not allow the child to be removed from the US, it will stay with him. If she takes the child without consent, it's kidnapping, a felony with a heavy prison sentence attached.

Not filing for AOS in a timely manner is a really bad idea.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I missed the earlier thread, but if she just drove across the border with a drivers license, what is to stop her from driving back the same way, and visiting her kid when she wants? I no longer live near the border with Canada, and maybe there is a passport requirement now?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I don't know if you remember. I shared here on VJ about my Canadian friend who visits US and decided to get married with our friend also who's my husbands childhood friend . They've been married for 2 years and wasn't able to file for AOS. Due to lack of requirements, but he just got a job and on salary now. ( so he can really file soon )

I shared VJ's to her but I don't think she tried to visit the site yet.

I just found out that she leaves her husband and the baby. She said she's unhappy with their marriage. And said that she's looking into immigration processes and will talk about what they're going to do with the baby. I have no idea on what she's going to do and she sounded like she don't know too. I just hope that their relationship will work out or something. I don't know :( just one of them isn't in love with the other anymore. Obviously its her, coz she leave. She's staying with a friend who happens to be a man. I know what you're thinking coz I'm thinking the same thing. Her husband is willing to wait for her to come back after her fling. He still loves her.

I'm bias on both of them cause they happen to be one of our close friend.

What are the consequences on her situation? and what do you think the best thing for her to do? The best thing for her to do is to get out of that guys bed and go home to her family

What do you think he should do? ( I know he will hesitate to process the papers now after what she did ) Who can blame him for hesitating to process the papers when she has clearly shown he's not the one she wants to be with. She will go right back to the other guy once she gets the card. That's no brainer. The best thing for him is to file for divorce and let the other guy worry about her status

Edited by w8inglongtime

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.