VintageEve

California ID

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone :)

I would like to ask if i could get a California ID while waiting for my green card,I came here on K1 visa...I already filed my AOS and my case status is currently on Initial Review. They sent me a letter telling me I will wait for their mail for me to notify that I will go have my biometrics, and at this moment I am still waiting.. well , I checked the website of DMV and saw the requirements on how to apply for a California ID and it says I need my I-94 stamped valid,... well I have it but mine already expired , it expired April 20,2010 and I am confuse if I can apply for California ID or not because of this, coz I need this ID to enroll for NCLEX exam, coz I am planning to review and get started while I am waiting for my green card...actually I already have my Social Security card with me and the one I am lacking for me to get my self enrolled is that California ID..well,what do you think guys? can I apply for an CA ID? :(

mytimeline.gif

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate :Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent :August 04, 2009

I-129F NOA1 :August 05, 2009

I-129F NOA2 :October 27, 2009

NVC Received :November 04, 2009

NVC Left :November 04, 2009

Medical Exam: December 01, 2009

Interview: December 16,2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

No yo will have to wait until you have either your EAD or greencard. To get a Ca. ID you have to show valid status in Ca. and right now you don't have anything they will accept.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

How long will it take for me to get my EAD?

mytimeline.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would like to ask if i could get a California ID while waiting for my green card,I came here on K1 visa...I already filed my AOS and my case status is currently on Initial Review. They sent me a letter telling me I will wait for their mail for me to notify that I will go have my biometrics, and at this moment I am still waiting.. well , I checked the website of DMV and saw the requirements on how to apply for a California ID and it says I need my I-94 stamped valid,... well I have it but mine already expired , it expired April 20,2010 and I am confuse if I can apply for California ID or not because of this, coz I need this ID to enroll for NCLEX exam, coz I am planning to review and get started while I am waiting for my green card...actually I already have my Social Security card with me and the one I am lacking for me to get my self enrolled is that California ID..well,what do you think guys? can I apply for an CA ID? :(

I am from CA, and my husband was only able to apply for the ID card once he had EAD in hand. His I-94 had expired as well. Once we got biometrics done, the EAD card arrived about a month later. So you are probably looking at more than a month before you can get the ID. Would you be able to use your passport for ID until then? I'm not familiar with teh NCLEX exam, but it seems that a passport should be acceptable as ID.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

They wont issue you DL/ID cuz your immigration status is still pending and your I-94 had been expired. Even you have sufficient days of I-94, then DL/ID is that of validity. Only if you got EAD/GC you can apply for DL/ID in CA.

You have to wait until you got EAD/GC in hands, then you can do anything you want (I mean legally :P).

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, from what I understand from reading similiar threads on VJ, it is pretty much impossible to get a drivers license in CA until you get your EAD. But what about a learners permit? My fiance and I will be getting married in about a month (she arrived Apr. 15th) and then applying for the AOS,EAD & AP, so I figure it will be at least 3 or 4 months before she gets her EAD. While we are waiting I would love for her to start practicing driving so that by the time her EAD arrives she can take the driving test right away. So does anyone know if she can at least get her learner's permit?

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

Feb. 2018 - Interview - Approved

Feb. 2018 - VISA Received!

May 6, 2018 - Arrived in the  U.S.! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

No, unfortunately she can't apply for the learner's permit yet. She will be required to submit the same documentatio duscussed above.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Timeline

I am from CA, and my husband was only able to apply for the ID card once he had EAD in hand. His I-94 had expired as well. Once we got biometrics done, the EAD card arrived about a month later. So you are probably looking at more than a month before you can get the ID. Would you be able to use your passport for ID until then? I'm not familiar with teh NCLEX exam, but it seems that a passport should be acceptable as ID.

So if i will go enroll in a review center ,my passport is enough as my temporary ID? since I already applied for AOS I am waiting for my biometrics.. they already sent me a letter I-797 to have my biometrics done ...

and uhmmm...one more question,

How will I know if I will go have my biometrics?will the USCIS send me a letter to notify me I will already go to their office to have my biometrics? coz I am a little confuse to about this thing :(

mytimeline.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

The biometircs appointment letter will get to you if they scheduled. Just wait for it and follow instructions stating on it.

Good Luck for your Journey!

Edited by UnIqUe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.