Ali G.

But we don't want health insurance!

115 posts in this topic

The insurance model doesn't work well for routine care. I doubt it'll save

you money if you have a chronic illness - the money given to the insurance

company would be better spent treating your illness. If the insurance company

didn't think they could ultimately get more money out of you than the cost

of your benefits, why would they keep you as a customer? (Yeah, yeah, they

may be required by law to do so NOW, but they certainly weren't before.)

How many people get more out of their insurance company than what they paid

in premiums (including the "hidden" part of the premium paid for by their

employer)? The answer is "not many", otherwise the insurance companies

would be out of business.

Not to mention that many people have "high deductible" plans where the

the insurance doesn't even kick in until you've paid a certain amount

(which kind of defeats the purpose of having insurance in the first place.)

The purpose of insurance is to insure that you'll survive financially due

to an unforeseen event. If you have a ton of money, insurance on smaller

things is a lot less important.

I imagine that is why insurance companies traditionally have large loss adjustment departments where they attempt to disallow as many claims as possible. I do agree that insurance is not a great way to pay for health care, least of all chronic health conditions, but I do not see any viable alternative for those who can't pay out of pocket unless you go down the universal health care run by government model which isn't going to happen period. I don't think anything about the cost/payment side of the American system is particularly positive for the majority of health care users and I don't think this new bill has gone very far to improve the lot of those who struggle to pay for health care.

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I imagine that is why insurance companies traditionally have large loss adjustment departments where they attempt to disallow as many claims as possible. I do agree that insurance is not a great way to pay for health care, least of all chronic health conditions, but I do not see any viable alternative for those who can't pay out of pocket unless you go down the universal health care run by government model which isn't going to happen period. I don't think anything about the cost/payment side of the American system is particularly positive for the majority of health care users and I don't think this new bill has gone very far to improve the lot of those who struggle to pay for health care.

The whole "deductible" business is a scam, too. If your deductible is $500, it doesn't mean

that the insurance will kick in after you've paid $500.

Here's a real-life example:

A routine visit to the doctor costs $400 (of course you have no idea how much it actually

costs until you get the bill.)

You give the doctor your insurance card which has a $20 co-pay.

The doctor submits a claim to your insurance company for $400. The insurance company breaks

it down into three categories, $250, $100 and $50. They deny the last two and reduce the

first one to $160 which is then applied to your deductible:

Claim: $250

Approved: $160

Paid: $0 -----> $160 applied towards deductible

Claim: $100

Approved: $0

Paid: $0

Claim: $50

Approved: $0

Paid: $0

The doctor gets nothing and sends you the bill for $400 - $20 co-pay = $380.

You've paid $400, but only $160 was applied to your deductible.

Neat trick, is it not?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Neat trick, but not applicable if you have HMO. ($20 copay would be all)

If you have PPO, then you shop around for a better price, as you do have freedom to do so.

The whole "deductible" business is a scam, too. If your deductible is $500, it doesn't mean

that the insurance will kick in after you've paid $500.

Here's a real-life example:

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Doctors sign contracts too, and quite willingly. Competition to get into medical schools is fierce.

I do not see any difference. :no:

The army signs a willing contract. The police have an employment agreement (and sometimes a contract) that they willingly sign. They are also "employees" more than they are individuals as well when working for their respective agencies... It's a bit different than an individual doctor.

And speaking of medical schools - there is not enough of them. And there will not be more, due to doctors' lobby. Then doctors need their high wages to pay their large student loans and insurances against malpractice. And tell me, why would a doctor's visit cost $400, for the whole 10 min of it?.. that's waaay too much.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Nope, I don't live in the US so it's of little interest to me.

:huh:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dental care costs are really pricey :( but they are in the UK too, and actually the care I have had here has been absolutely excellent, but then for some reason my dentist likes me.

Is that why a lot of Brits have horrible teeth?

post-44465-12719866215998_thumb.png

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

One pic is some kind of proof that the stereotype that Brits have bad teeth is true? I'll tell you what's true, less Brits are obsessed with having unnaturally shiny white teeth than US phony plastic types, but they exist both sides of the Atlantic. Good teeth are not white, bright and regular, good teeth are ones that require little to no dental attention.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

One pic is some kind of proof that the stereotype that Brits have bad teeth is true? I'll tell you what's true, less Brits are obsessed with having unnaturally shiny white teeth than US phony plastic types, but they exist both sides of the Atlantic. Good teeth are not white, bright and regular, good teeth are ones that require little to no dental attention.

black(teeth) and proud, shout out loud.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Maybe I'm taking this too close to home, but this is my personal feeling.

It seems like some people (I mean those who have insurance paid for them or are wealthy enough to pay cash) feel that if you can't afford insurance and/or care, that's just too bad for you. I don't have health insurance. I can't afford it. Period. If I go to the doctor, it has to go on the credit card, which is already too high.

I consider myself a responsible person. I have a full time job. Insurance is offered at my workplace but I still can't afford the part I would have to pay.

So what about someone like me? I'm not lazy. I work. I work extra hours just to buy groceries. I try to take care of myself. But if something bad were to happen and either my husband or I got really sick or injured, we're screwed.

So good for anyone who can afford their own health care with no problem. The simple fact is that most people are not fortunate enough to be in that situation.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

must be all that binge drinking and barfing.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

NOMB, but, since you brought it up - You have a credit card, but can't afford a company supplemented health policy? Frankly, I wonder how well you're managing your money, but, this is not the place to go into that.

NOMB, but, since you brought it up - You have a credit card, but can't afford a company supplemented health policy? Frankly, I wonder how well you're managing your money, but, this is not the place to go into that.

Not really sure how you worked that out, but like you said, this isn't the place. Doesn't answer my question at all.

24q38dy.jpg

Maybe I'm taking this too close to home, but this is my personal feeling.

It seems like some people (I mean those who have insurance paid for them or are wealthy enough to pay cash) feel that if you can't afford insurance and/or care, that's just too bad for you. I don't have health insurance. I can't afford it. Period. If I go to the doctor, it has to go on the credit card, which is already too high.

I consider myself a responsible person. I have a full time job. Insurance is offered at my workplace but I still can't afford the part I would have to pay.

So what about someone like me? I'm not lazy. I work. I work extra hours just to buy groceries. I try to take care of myself. But if something bad were to happen and either my husband or I got really sick or injured, we're screwed.

So good for anyone who can afford their own health care with no problem. The simple fact is that most people are not fortunate enough to be in that situation.

Which means hypothetically speaking, under such a situation, your most likely outcome would be bankruptcy. Rest assured, repubs will try to amend those rules too soon. Oh wait they already did under Sir Bush.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama