Ali G.

But we don't want health insurance!

115 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

It seems like some people (I mean those who have insurance paid for them or are wealthy enough to pay cash) feel ...

So good for anyone who can afford their own health care with no problem. The simple fact is that most people are not fortunate enough to be in that situation.

If you are saying "most people" can't afford insurance, you'd be wrong. Most people are insured. A minority are not.

That said, I'm all for doing all we can as a society to help that minority. But it's important to not fall into the trap of thinking not being able to afford insurance is the norm. It is not.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

If you are saying "most people" can't afford insurance, you'd be wrong. Most people are insured. A minority are not.

That said, I'm all for doing all we can as a society to help that minority. But it's important to not fall into the trap of thinking not being able to afford insurance is the norm. It is not.

How many are under-insured or have BS WALAMRTish policies that wouldn't cover a band-aid? Certainly not without a $200 deductible.

This reform is not just about covering the uninsured, it also about beginning to reign in shenanigans like anthems 30% increase in CA, yet inflation being in the negative.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

How many are under-insured or have BS WALAMRTish policies that wouldn't cover a band-aid? Certainly not without a $200 deductible.

This reform is not just about covering the uninsured, it also about beginning to reign in shenanigans like anthems 30% increase in CA, yet inflation being in the negative.

You're preaching to the choir. I supported HCR and am pleased we passed that bill, flaws notwithstanding.

That all said, the 'bad policies' you refer to are mostly in the small group and individual market. Large group insurance is still quite good.

What I had meant by that was that most people can't pay for their healthcare out of pocket. I guess I worded it funny.

I always had insurance before I moved to Texas. Before that I lived in Upstate NY. It was pretty much the norm that employers (in my field anyway) paid at least part of, and more often, 100% of health insurance. I was actually kind of shocked when I moved here. My employer only started offering it last year. Many places do not offer it at all.

Maybe it's just the field I'm working in, or this part of Texas, I don't know. I'm kind of curious really.

Our plan is to move from here as soon as what's going on in the rest of our lives allows us to.

Edited by trillium13
24q38dy.jpg

What I had meant by that was that most people can't pay for their healthcare out of pocket. I guess I worded it funny.

Oh ok. Yes, of course. Even the people on this thread who claim to be paying for their own healthcare are lying.

You're preaching to the choir. I supported HCR and am pleased we passed that bill, flaws notwithstanding.

That all said, the 'bad policies' you refer to are mostly in the small group and individual market. Large group insurance is still quite good.

Not in my actual experience. Nothing I have used, seen or experienced is something to write home about. Unless paying $30 (deductible) to see the doctor in 15 minutes rather than 25 is a benefit.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Not really sure how you worked that out, but like you said, this isn't the place. Doesn't answer my question at all.

The mention of high credit card debt triggered thoughts of mounting interest which would take funds away from the ability to pay for health insurance. Just a thought . . . Without knowing more about your finances, it's difficult to give you a plausible answer.

Going along with what I said above, the plan where I work has pretty high deductibles-around $500 I think. And I'm pretty sure they only cover 40% or some such thing for most stuff. I don't remember fully since I don't actually have it.

Still, I suppose it would be better than nothing, if I could afford it. But it's not great.

24q38dy.jpg

The mention of high credit card debt triggered thoughts of mounting interest which would take funds away from the ability to pay for health insurance. Just a thought . . . Without knowing more about your finances, it's difficult to give you a plausible answer.

Well, much like poverty, debt is a trap. Actually debt is probably worse. Companies here know this, so they exploit it.

Edited by Ali G.

Not in my actual experience. Nothing I have used, seen or experienced is something to write home about. Unless paying $30 (deductible) to see the doctor in 15 minutes rather than 25 is a benefit.

The delivery of primary medicine to the American middle class is quite abysmal when compared to most developed nations. That is what you're comparing it to I imagine. American care excels in areas that are high-profit like cancer and rare procedures that require a high degree of cost and skill.

That said, the quality of medical care in the large group market and the small group/individual markets are still light years apart.

My question was, what are people like me supposed to do if we get sick or injured, not what to do about my personal financial situation. It was a broader question.

24q38dy.jpg

My question was, what are people like me supposed to do if we get sick or injured, not what to do about my personal financial situation. It was a broader question.

If you have a traumatic brain injury resulting from a car crash, pay off your credit card debts ya bum! :jest:

If you have a traumatic brain injury resulting from a car crash, pay off your credit card debts ya bum! :jest:

Hmmmm...I wonder if they would take my cat as payment, or my old TV. :whistle:

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
If you have a traumatic brain injury
I know a LOT of folks regarding whom a traumatic brain injury would only improve their intellect, social skills, powers of articulation... si, man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).