ineedmylover

My fiance is 19, Can She Apply for K-1

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiance who is 19 is a us citizen, we want to get married but our main goal is to get me into the USA so we can live together.We really love each other and cant afford the traveling. We are looking for the easier way to get this done. So we are wondering if getting the K-1 visa then get married or make she travel to my home country and married her there then let her apply for a green card for me??

What is the best thing for us?If there are any other way please let us know.

We really need some help.Looking forward.

Thank You.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Honestly, we can't tell you what is best for you. Only you and your fiancee can determine what is best for you.

Take a look at the benefits and costs of each visa based on the guides here.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

This should help you decide what route is best for you and your fiancee to take

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

If money is an issue, the CR-1 (getting married in your home country, then applying for a visa for you to come to the US) might be the better option. You will pay less in fees, and you will be eligible to work immediately upon entering the US, instead of having to wait for 2-3 months or so while an EAD is processed, as you would on the K-1.

I-129F

6 Nov 2009: NOA1

2 March 2010: NOA2 (116 days)

14 April 2010: Interview (159 days) Approved!!

30 April 2010: Married!

AoS

18 May 2010: NOA1 for AoS, EAD and AP

8 June 2010: Case transferred to CSC

10 June 2010: Biometrics completed

31 July 2010: EAD and AP received!

9 Sept. 2010: RFE email for AoS

(RFE for medical. We replied with letter stating that it's not required since done overseas within one year)

18 January 2010: Interview - passed! Card production ordered!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The entire K-1 visa process costs about $2,000 from start to finish. It also takes at least 6 months. There is no "easy" option or quick fixes - both methods take a long time and are costly.

Summer 1997 - met for the first time :)

04/2010 - reunited

12/18/09 - engaged

01/14/10 - I-129F mailed to CSC

01/19/10 - I-129F NOA1

02/22/10 - I-129F NOA2

03/01/10 - NVC sent along to Montreal embassy

03/09/10 - Embassy mailed packet 3

03/10/10 - Called NVC, spoke to an operator, received case number, verification of delivery to MTL

03/11/10 - Packet 3 Received from MTL embassy

03/19/10 - Packet 3 Mailed in

04/12/10 - Medical in Toronto

04/12/10 - Packet 3 Logged

04/23/10 - Packet 4 Received

06/11/10 - Interview Date! - Passed!

06/18/10 - Receive visa

07/14/10 - Enter USA

07/30/10 - Wedding Day

Honestly, we can't tell you what is best for you. Only you and your fiancee can determine what is best for you.

Take a look at the benefits and costs of each visa based on the guides here.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

This should help you decide what route is best for you and your fiancee to take

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply, I think the k-1 is best for us because after marriage i can stay in the US and wait for AOS.Am i right? I also have some doubt about certain things that may cause problem with approval..The financial part is not a worry because i have a aunt and an uncle which will support me and my finance financially with the process although my finace has a job that pays 400+ per week.

Doubts

We haven't meet allot because of the cost of flights,. So im wondering if that will be a problem.

Im also wondering if our age will be a problem. I am 20 and she is 19.

Im also out of a job in my country and have no kids.

The entire K-1 visa process costs about $2,000 from start to finish. It also takes at least 6 months. There is no "easy" option or quick fixes - both methods take a long time and are costly.

Thanks for your reply friend, Its not the cost we are worry about its the requirements.Like what i state above.

Thanks for your reply, I think the k-1 is best for us because after marriage i can stay in the US and wait for AOS.Am i right? I also have some doubt about certain things that may cause problem with approval..The financial part is not a worry because i have a aunt and an uncle which will support me and my finance financially with the process although my finace has a job that pays 400+ per week.

Doubts

We haven't meet allot because of the cost of flights,. So im wondering if that will be a problem.

Im also wondering if our age will be a problem. I am 20 and she is 19.

Im also out of a job in my country and have no kids.

Thanks for your reply friend, Its not the cost we are worry about its the requirements.Like what i state above.

Will you have met in the 2 years (In person) from the date you submit the K-1?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My fiance who is 19 is a us citizen, we want to get married but our main goal is to get me into the USA so we can live together.We really love each other and cant afford the traveling. We are looking for the easier way to get this done. So we are wondering if getting the K-1 visa then get married or make she travel to my home country and married her there then let her apply for a green card for me??

What is the best thing for us?If there are any other way please let us know.

We really need some help.Looking forward.

Thank You.

US Citizens cannot apply for K1 visas. They petition for the foreign fiance and when the petition is approved the foreign fiance can apply for a K1 visa. There is no easier way. Make your life decision about marriage, time and place and then follow the immigration path appropriate to that decision, either the K1 for a fiance or CR1 for spouse.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

We are going to meet this year.

so thats not a problem.

Wondering if the age will be a problem If we choose to use K-1 or CR-1.

meeting would be a good start...19 shouldnt be a problem...providing you are 18+

US Citizens cannot apply for K1 visas. They petition for the foreign fiance and when the petition is approved the foreign fiance can apply for a K1 visa. There is no easier way. Make your life decision about marriage, time and place and then follow the immigration path appropriate to that decision, either the K1 for a fiance or CR1 for spouse.

Very thank full for your reply.But i have some doubts about the CR1.I read where it says if me and my spous is merly living together we are not qualified..Im so confused. Sigh.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I Think the K-1 is a good idea,but pushbrk in his post saying my soon to be wife cannot apply for the k-1(Its the US citizen that do the applying not me rite?)..Im a bit confused here dont know if i shud just engaged or get married..

Thanks for your reply friend really appreciate it all..Loving the help.

I think you're getting confused by the semantics.

What pushbrk means is that there are two stages in the K1 visa process. The first stage is the petition, which the US citizen submits to USCIS. Once the petition has been approved, then it will be sent to the consulate in the foreign country and next stage begins - the visa application, which is submitted by the intending immigrant.

pushbrk is simply saying that the US citizen doesn't apply for a visa - they submit the petition. The foreign fiancee applies for the visa.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Going a little deeper.

If you chose to file for a K-1, the others have told you about the two step process.

Step 1 is for the USC to file a peition for alien finace(e) to the USCIS. In all reality, this is the easy step. It has minimal requirements. You must prove that you have met in person within the past two years, provide proof of meeting, an application (I129f), Bigraphic background info for each of you (G325a), a letter of intent to marry form each of you, and a few other documents from the USC. It's generally not to difficult to get past this (provided you complete the paperwork properly and have proof of your meeting (save any baording passes, receipts and things that can show the two of you in the same place at the same time, as well as some pictures.

Step 2 is typically much more difficult. If Step 1 is approved, the petition will make its way to the consulate. Depending on what country you are from does make a difference here too. Some consulates are much more difficult that others. During this step, the consulate will send the beneficiary a list of instructions and forms to complete (visa application). The application is submitted to the consualte and then they send further insructions for items and documents that are needed for an interview. The burden is upon the two of you at the interview to provide sufficient documentation and proof that you have a real and factual relationship. This is the tough part. In some countries one visit may be enough, in others it may not be enough. There are alot of supporting documents that need to be obtained and the USC will need to show he can support you.

This is a general overview. If you chose to get married and file CR-1, it is a little different but you still have the burden of proving that your relationship is factual and real. It may sound silly but this is where most people fail. Not because they do not have a true relationship but because they fail to provide sufficient evidence to convince the Consular Officer that this is true.

It can be a very stressful process so you want to be mentally prepared for everything.

If you let the VJers know what counrty you are from they can inform you of more specific hurdles you may have to overcome particular to that country. There is not equality for all in this process unfortunately.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, just want you to know that it can be a challenge. The better you prepared and the more you understand the better your chances.

Your both young and have some challenges ahead of you - be prepared.

Best Wishes

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am getting mixed messages from the original poster, first: "We really love each other and cant afford the traveling."

Then later: "Thanks for your reply friend, Its not the cost we are worry about its the requirements."

Regardless of which visa route you pursue, K-1 or CR-1, at least one visit will have to occur between your fiance and yourself. She doesn't necessarily have to travel to your country, you could meet in a neutral country. Or, depending on which country that you live in, you could get a tourist visa and meet her here in the U.S. During that visit, you could get married, return home, your then wife could start the process for a CR-1 visa. If you prefer the more expensive K-1 route, don't get married yet, your still fiance would start the K-1 process.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and get married first, and go the CR-1 route. It is cheaper, and probably a little easier. Especially if you are from a high fraud country.

Good luck!

donald -n- analyn

For Filipino events on the Space Coast, see our organization's web site.

2006-09-21 :: met online

2007-05-23 :: first met in Philippines

2009-03-22 :: welcome to USA, POE Detroit!!!

2009-06-13 :: married in Florida!!!

2010-03-18 :: AoS approved, no interview :-)

See our timeline for the riveting details! Good luck on YOUR journey!

^^ Agreed. The process itself is not cheap, so if money is a concern, its not going to get easier once you start this process. In fact, it will be harder - esp. as you'll have to prove that the alien will not become a public charge upon arriving in the US - both at the time of the consular interview AND adjusting status (if you go the K1 route).

SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.