kalia3333

Email

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

For the last week or so I have been getting emails from someone claiming to be an immigration attorney at the US Embassy in Accra, Ghana claiming they are reviewing my husbands visa denial. They were BSing me telling me they will review my case and get my hubby here. They knew our names as well which was odd. From the first email I knew it was fake. I sent it to my lawyer and he agreed. Anyways the person kept asking from my marriage certificate, spouses police report, and a few other items the NVC asks for. I played with the person initially to see what they would say. Than today my lawyer emailed me and said the USCIS, etc investigated it and called it a Nigerian-style 419 Scam. Anyone else seen this? How they get my husband and Is name, etc.

Looking for some insight. Thanks

:angry:

Also another odd thing, I offered them money initailly and they declined. I have googled this and found others like it as well.

Edited by kalia3333

For the last week or so I have been getting emails from someone claiming to be an immigration attorney at the US Embassy in Accra, Ghana claiming they are reviewing my husband’s visa denial. They were BSing me telling me they will review my case and get my hubby here. They knew our names as well which was odd. From the first email I knew it was fake. I sent it to my lawyer and he agreed. Anyways the person kept asking from my marriage certificate, spouse’s police report, and a few other items the NVC asks for. I played with the person initially to see what they would say. Than today my lawyer emailed me and said the USCIS, etc investigated it and called it a Nigerian-style 419 Scam. Anyone else seen this? How they get my husband and I’s name, etc.

Looking for some insight. Thanks

:angry:

Also another odd thing, I offered them money initailly and they declined. I have googled this and found others like it as well.

Why would you offer them money if you suspected fraud?

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Do either of you ( especially him ) use a public computer in communicating ? Key loggers are almost always on public computers in west Africa , they harvest everything people type into them and glean through them to find info for scams.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

That is exactly what I was going to say…when my husband goes to the café to chat with me I always tell him to be sure to log out completely. Even if time runs out and the computer shuts “off” if my husband did not log out completely the next person who buys café time and uses that computer will be able to have access to his information. It doesn’t always happen this way but more often during the busy hours of the café.

It is the sole job of some scammers to bounce from computer to computer in the café. When I was in Ghana my husband took me to a café so that I can check my work emails…and he was showing me this…on that day there were 2 women and 3 men doing this…

So just make sure when your husband is using the café that when his time comes to 1 min that he logs out and that he can just be sure before he leaves the café.

We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us...

CR-1

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate Ghana

Marriage: 2008-10-25

I-130 Sent: 2009-05-02

I-130 NOA1: 2009-05-07

I-129F Sent: 2009-05-02

I-129F NOA1: 2009-05-07

I-129F NOA2: 2009-08-14

I-130 Approval: 2009-08-14

File rec'd @ NVC: 2009-08-26

Called NVC to get case #: 2009-08-28

1st email frm NVC: 2009-08-31

Rec'd & Paid AOS fees: 2009-08-31

AOS fees show PAID: 2009-09-02

DS-3020 sent: 2009-09-02

AOS Pack Sent: 2009-09-08

IV Bill Rec'd & Paid: 2009-09-15

IV fees show PAID: 2009-09-16

DS-230 cover page generated: 2009-09-15

DS-230 pack sent: 2009-09-18

Case complete: 2009-10-20

File 4warded 2 Embassy: 2010-04-16

Interview date: OCTOBER 19TH, 2010

Visa pick up date:

Leaving Ghana:

Pick up from airport:

Timeline

If he is using a laptop was he locked down his router or is he borrowing someone else s connection ? Ppeople can break in through there. Because visas from 3rd world countries are very valuable people will do a lot to get information on people that getting one. Keyloggers are a popular tool, They are put on the machine like a virus but they track everything you type and the person that owns the logger can harvest the info. Have him go to Spybot search and destroy and run that and see what he has that he doesn't know about on his machine. You may want to try it also , you would be surprised at who is watching your online activity

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I found out one day when I did a google search on my name that my information from Visa journey came up! Maybe there is a public information that lawyers can access to get leads for cases?

The Attipoe's Richard & Dina

11/15/2008 - Met online

06/05/2009 - Married in Accra

06/06/2009 - Left Ghana :-(

07/01/2009 - Sent I-130 & G325A

07/06/2009 - Received I-130 & G325A

07/08/2009 - NOA1

07/09/2009 - Cashed $355. check

07/13/2009 - Received NOA1 hard copy in mail

09/14/2009 - Received NOA2 hard copy in mail

09/21/2009 - Received NVC Case Number via phone

09/26/2009 - Received I-864 Bill

09/26/2009 - I-864 Fee Paid Online

09/28/2009 - Sent DS-3032 via Email to NVC

09/30/2009 - NVC Payment Received - Received Cover Letter for I-864

09/30/2009 - Sent I-864EZ to NVC Via Priority Mail

10/05/2009 - USPS Delivery Confirmation of I-864

10/16/2009 - Received Email; DS-3032 AOS to receive IV Bill with instructions

10/20/2009 - Received IV Fee Bill

10/20/2009 - Email from NVC Received I-864. DS-230 & Fee request

10/20/2009 - Email from NVC Received Instructions-Pay IV Fee then send DS-230

10/21/2009 - IV Fee Bill

10/23/2009 - IV Fee Paid

11/12/2009 - Sent DS-230 Package to NVC via Express Mail

11/16/2009 - Delivered, November 16, 2009, 11:55 am, PORTSMOUTH, NH 03801

12/02/2009 - RFE

12/10/2009 - Sent Evidence requested to NVC via USPS Express mail

12/11/2009 - NVC Received RFE

12/23/2009 - Case Completed at NVC now the wait for an interview.

09/xx/2010 - Case expedition request. Serious illness.

11/05/2010 - Expedition Request granted.

11/23/2010 - Interview

12/29/2010 - Visa GRANTED! Return on 1/7/2011 to pickup

01/07/2011 - Visa Picked up.

01/12/2011 - on plane in route to USA!

01/13/2011 - Arrived in USA.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Maybe there is a public information that lawyers can access to get leads for cases?

No.

Also, you should change your name on VJ (or any other public forum that you use). I believe you can only change it on VJ once in a year (with the changes to the site, I'm not sure if there is still a restriction). If its there for the public to see, its there for immigration officers to see if they decide to take a closer look at your and your fiancee.

Its not a good idea to bait people and see what they say especially if its immigration related. You never know who you are really talking to, it could come back on you.

Edited by reeses16

Timeline

I don't think it is a VJ issue. I think that one of the computers had tracking software installed. Did your scans come up with any malware?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Reeses, the board admin never answers my emails! Any sugestions. Also whats the point in changeing my name when you can just click and see it. I am scanning my computer daily. Now if the board admin would ever reply to another request.

i'm wondering if your other half may have been using a cybercafe to have conversations with you. places like that may have all kinds of malware on their computers, to include keyloggers. if your scans are not turning up anything, odds are the information was snagged in a cybercafe across the pond and is being staged from there.

i run 2 different anti-spyware programs, a firewall, and an antivirus and i've never had anything come up on vj.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.