11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi all...

I was looking at the US Embassy - Brazil web page and saw an announcement about a new DS-160 form that came into effect on April 5... I then went to their "Forms for Fiance(e) Visas" page (Link here) and saw the following note:

Note:

1) DS-156 and DS-157s are still required for K and Refugees Visas, until further notice. DS-160 will be accepted on those cases.

2) Applicant must present two copies of this form. It will only be accepted in the electronic version.

I do not understand Note 1... What does "DS-160 will be accepted on those cases" mean? Is DS-156 and DS-157s still required? Is DS-160 accepted in their place?

Can anyone clarify this new Form DS-160?

Thanks in advance

Dec. 28, 2009... NOA 1

Dec. 31, 2009... Touched

May 12, 2010... Nice guy at the USCIS mercifully sent a Service Request to the VSC to inquire about our petition

May 27, 2010... Received an e-mail stating that the VSC received the Service Request. Unfortunately, the e-mail also states that the processing time for service requests is 3 MONTHS!!

June 28, 2010... Heard from my senator that the USCIS is going to send me a RFE on July 1 asking for a certified copy of my birth certificate. Why do they have to wait until July 1 to ask for this??

July 13, 2010... Received an e-mail from the VSC explaining the delay in processing our petition. Apparently, the USCIS had put on hold all petitions from US citizens born with Puerto Rican birth certificates (like me). On July 1, USCIS headquarters finally gave clearance for these petitions to be processed.

July 26, 2010... Touch

July 27, 2010... Received text message and e-mail stating that our petition was approved on July 26!! We finally received our NOA 2!!

July 31, 2010... NVC received our approved petition

August 2, 2010... Received paper copy of our NOA2

August 4, 2010... Received letter from NVC confirming receipt of our approved petition

August 13, 2010... US embassy in Brazil received the approved petition

August 23, 2010... Missuzu received Packet 3/4

October 19, 2010... Interview... VISA APPROVED!!!

November 4, 2010... Missuzu received her passport with visa

December 27, 2010... POE... Houston, Texas

December 28, 2010... We got married!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

It's my understanding that the DS-160 is not used for K-1 visas that were filed with an I-129F petition.

I smell some ambiguity on that embssy's web portal, alas.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I agree 100% - very confusing!

I searched through the web site and it certainly looks like the DS-160 is absolutely required. However on that page you linked it makes it sound like you need the DS-156 and DS-157 also.

I thought I was pretty smart but right now I'm just stumped :blink:

Based in your timeline it looks like you've got time to get answers, maybe someone else is going through this now and can advise on the experience!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

As usual you can't get strait answers form other govt resources either. I went to the travel.state.gov website and they don't even have Brazil on the list of Embassies and Consulates requiring the use of this form yet!!! :bonk:

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

One other K1 petitioner posted/said the following:

**********************************IMPORTANT NOTICE****************************

* The application process for U.S. visas will change as of April 5, 2010. Appointments made for April 5 and beyond REQUIRE that you complete the new DS-160, and upload your photo electronically. As of March 15, you may access and fill out the new form found at this link: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

* For appointments made for April 5, 2010 and beyond, the Consulate will ONLY accept the new DS-160 form. Applicants who do not present the DS-160 form as of April 5,2010 will NOT be interviewed and MUST reschedule their appointments for the next available date.

* Your DS-160 application must be completed no less than 2 days prior to your appointment date.

* For additional information about the DS-160, please click here.

* For additional information about visas for the United States, please click here.

Just wanted to post here since it seems to impact all of us as a heads up.

beijos!

We have a small forum about Brazil K1 that could help you a bit..

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/224868-brazil-k1-processexperience-feedback-concerns-advise/page__st__195

Good luck

Edited by ImWaiting

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I got a straight answer (reply to an e-mail) from the US Embassy in Rio... Surprisingly, they responded within 1 hour!

Here is their response (in case anyone else has the same question):

The new form DS-160 is not used for K1 visas. You can still use forms DS-156 and DS-157 for this purpose.

Regards,

Consular Communications Office

United States Consulate General

Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brazil

I guess that is pretty definitive, so we will have forms DS-156 and DS-157 in our documentation packet for my fiancee's interview... Of course, we still haven't even received our NOA2! :( ... (101 days, and not even a touch)

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Dec. 28, 2009... NOA 1

Dec. 31, 2009... Touched

May 12, 2010... Nice guy at the USCIS mercifully sent a Service Request to the VSC to inquire about our petition

May 27, 2010... Received an e-mail stating that the VSC received the Service Request. Unfortunately, the e-mail also states that the processing time for service requests is 3 MONTHS!!

June 28, 2010... Heard from my senator that the USCIS is going to send me a RFE on July 1 asking for a certified copy of my birth certificate. Why do they have to wait until July 1 to ask for this??

July 13, 2010... Received an e-mail from the VSC explaining the delay in processing our petition. Apparently, the USCIS had put on hold all petitions from US citizens born with Puerto Rican birth certificates (like me). On July 1, USCIS headquarters finally gave clearance for these petitions to be processed.

July 26, 2010... Touch

July 27, 2010... Received text message and e-mail stating that our petition was approved on July 26!! We finally received our NOA 2!!

July 31, 2010... NVC received our approved petition

August 2, 2010... Received paper copy of our NOA2

August 4, 2010... Received letter from NVC confirming receipt of our approved petition

August 13, 2010... US embassy in Brazil received the approved petition

August 23, 2010... Missuzu received Packet 3/4

October 19, 2010... Interview... VISA APPROVED!!!

November 4, 2010... Missuzu received her passport with visa

December 27, 2010... POE... Houston, Texas

December 28, 2010... We got married!

I got a straight answer (reply to an e-mail) from the US Embassy in Rio... Surprisingly, they responded within 1 hour!

I guess that is pretty definitive, so we will have forms DS-156 and DS-157 in our documentation packet for my fiancee's interview... Of course, we still haven't even received our NOA2! :( ... (101 days, and not even a touch)

Cool! Glad you got your answer - and fast too!!

Hope you hear news soon on your NOA2 and good luck along your journey!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well that was a very good response from the Consulate/Embassy an very timely too. You cannot be any clearer than that.

Naturalization N-400

Thanks for the update on both forums..

Best of luck on your process

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Here's a nice video from the Consul General in BeiJing -

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTUwMTk2ODg0.html

It's NOT for I-129F or I-130 petitions, at all.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.