clueless_in_usa

Watch National Geographic

223 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Busy day so I've been missing the fun here.

I agree with the NG taking the low road. I mean when I think of NG, I think of those yellow magazines we used to always read in school. They were always about some crazy far away place that hadn't been developed yet.

Or just an article featuring one animal having an Antelope buffet.

As for the History channel, I must be missing the really bad stuff since I only watch it late at night. Everything I see on there is generally war/weapon documentaries. Although some of that plays up to the "We were the good guys, they were the bad guys". And that takes steam out of the analytical aspect, which is what I enjoy the most.

Filed: Timeline

As for the History channel, I must be missing the really bad stuff since I only watch it late at night. Everything I see on there is generally war/weapon documentaries. Although some of that plays up to the "We were the good guys, they were the bad guys". And that takes steam out of the analytical aspect, which is what I enjoy the most.

The war stuff is fine, and in fact there really is some good stuff on HC. It's the ####### like "The Real Face of Jesus" (which is based on the Shroud of Turin, a known fake "artifact," not to mention that there's not even any evidence that Jesus actually existed) or Ancient Astronauts and ####### like that, that really puts me off. They try to pass stuff off like this as science, when in fact it's mostly just crazy people who can manage to sound scientific.

Timeline

The war stuff is fine, and in fact there really is some good stuff on HC. It's the ####### like "The Real Face of Jesus" (which is based on the Shroud of Turin, a known fake "artifact," not to mention that there's not even any evidence that Jesus actually existed) or Ancient Astronauts and ####### like that, that really puts me off. They try to pass stuff off like this as science, when in fact it's mostly just crazy people who can manage to sound scientific.

Oh right, I think I actually stumbled on that one for a minute. Fortunately either Mythbusters or Family Guy must have been on.

I do hate the biblical related ones as well, I can't change the channel fast enough. I don't have anything against most religious beliefs, but to pick one religion and pass it off as fact is a bit insulting to the people who don't align to that faith.

One that really annoys the ####### out of me is the alien finder one (I'm pretty sure it's on History Channel). They're always probing highly sensitive military facilities with camera's and then acting surprised when people with guns show up to persuade them away. They always respond with "They mus be hidin some of dem Alien saucers in der". And then they get some guy with a 10th grade education to verify he's seen it with his own eyes.

Oh right, I think I actually stumbled on that one for a minute. Fortunately either Mythbusters or Family Guy must have been on.

Oh man, Mythbusters is one of my absolute favorite shows!

I do hate the biblical related ones as well, I can't change the channel fast enough. I don't have anything against most religious beliefs, but to pick one religion and pass it off as fact is a bit insulting to the people who don't align to that faith.

Being a right-thinking atheist :), I'm pretty much insulted by all religion. But whatever, if people want to worship a cosmic zombie who is his own father and a ghost but also not a ghost, who can make you live forever if you symbolically cannibalize his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in all humans because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree and thereby pissing off an invisible wizard who lives in the sky, then yeah ok whatever, knock yourself out. Just please don't try to pass it off as science.

One that really annoys the ####### out of me is the alien finder one (I'm pretty sure it's on History Channel). They're always probing highly sensitive military facilities with camera's and then acting surprised when people with guns show up to persuade them away. They always respond with "They mus be hidin some of dem Alien saucers in der". And then they get some guy with a 10th grade education to verify he's seen it with his own eyes.

Oh yeah, the alien believers are almost as annoying as the invisible magic man believers. Again, whever, if people want to believe in flying saucers then more power to them, just please don't pretend it has anything at all to do with science or reality. I absolutely hate the fact that they pass this stuff off as anything but fictional silliness.

Timeline

Oh man, Mythbusters is one of my absolute favorite shows!

Being a right-thinking atheist :), I'm pretty much insulted by all religion. But whatever, if people want to worship a cosmic zombie who is his own father and a ghost but also not a ghost, who can make you live forever if you symbolically cannibalize his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in all humans because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree and thereby pissing off an invisible wizard who lives in the sky, then yeah ok whatever, knock yourself out. Just please don't try to pass it off as science.

Oh yeah, the alien believers are almost as annoying as the invisible magic man believers. Again, whever, if people want to believe in flying saucers then more power to them, just please don't pretend it has anything at all to do with science or reality. I absolutely hate the fact that they pass this stuff off as anything but fictional silliness.

For your sake, I hope your Russian wife (assuming she exists) is a real commie and, thus, an atheist. Otherwise, you must have some interesting Sundays. And I guess you won't be posting any wedding photos at your local Russian Orthodox church.

For the rest of you non believers, I guess this poses a dilemma for you. Dealing with staunchly religious wives while you make fun of their beliefs secretly here on the forum.

Edited by visaveteran

Timeline

I avoid conversations about religion like the plague. As long as they can respect the fact that I don't want to be a part of their belief, then I can respect they want to have that belief. It's the ones that try and "save" me where the conversations end with them telling me I'm going to burn in a lake of fire or whatever the consequence is for that particular religion.

Same has happened to Discovery and History.... I mean have you seen that show American Pickers? It's two guys tripping on acid running around the country collecting sh!t... #######...

I'm ashamed to admit I formed a slight addiction to "Pawn Stars" for about 5 episodes. But the blatant HORRIBLE acting on what is supposed to be a reality show was just too much for me. I'm a sucker for other peoples' junk, but I finally just had to let it go.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I avoid conversations about religion like the plague. As long as they can respect the fact that I don't want to be a part of their belief, then I can respect they want to have that belief. It's the ones that try and "save" me where the conversations end with them telling me I'm going to burn in a lake of fire or whatever the consequence is for that particular religion.

It's so nice when both people in marriage don't have any religious beliefs. So SOOOOOOOO nice

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

I definitely avoid *religious* conversations, because I really have nothing more to add to them other than "you really haven't thought this through, have you?" :D My own personal belief is that *ALL* religion is violent, destructive, and harmful to mankind. So those few who do actually try to "save" me find out very quickly that it's a lost cause. :lol:

Divorce rates is not the whole story with international LDRs. You'd have to factor in how many Fiancee Visa people never actually got married and split up before the 90 days. I grant that this is an interim stage you would not contend with in marrying a local woman. But as you fiancee visa boys know, the 90 day period can make or break a relationship.

I'll be like you guys and make one of those "I know a lot of people" comments and say I know a number of American men who've married 2 or 3 Russian women. They must get addicted and keep coming back for more. But, obviously, these guys keep getting divorced. Why I don't know. But this does not support a theory that Russian marriages work better than American ones.

I agree with most of what I see above. I think the trouble is that for some USCs that reach overseas for a spouse believe that the cultural differences are not just just nice or exotic, they are a cure all for the relationship or personality problems they had to begin with. Other than a cure for lonliness possibly, I think that position is bunk. Whatever personality/emotional problems you have just get packed up in your luggage when you range afield to find some one. In other words, if you are a jackass here, you are a jackass there. It is all about what your SO can put up with, and how much of your SOs emotional baggage you can handle IMO.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

if you are a jackass here, you are a jackass there. It is all about what your SO can put up with, and how much of your SOs emotional baggage you can handle IMO.

The old adage "it takes two to tango" is apropos here. Because this forum is (yet another made up statistic alert!) 95% male, we often hear about how horrible our ex-wives were, or at least how bad our experiences were with American women. But there are two sides to that coin, and I imagine there are a plethora of nasty, horrible men who were married to a good woman that had just had enough of his #######. And some of those nasty, horrible men look overseas because they've heard FSU/Filipino/Chinese/whatever women will put up with just about anything to get away from their miserable lives. Sadly, some of these men find exactly that, but probably more often than not they find another woman who eventually figures out what a nasty, horrible guy he is, and loses her too. Note that I'm not saying this is always the case (and I'm sure the reverse is often true also), but I guess it's just a round-about way of saying "yes Brad, I agree." :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

but I guess it's just a round-about way of saying "yes Brad, I agree." :P

Before someone beats me to it..... can I get in on the circle-jerk? Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase, Mox, pretty pleeeeeeeeease?

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is a violation of TOS to: Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.

Two posts that violate TOS have been removed. Any additional posts of like nature will also be removed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.