clueless_in_usa

Watch National Geographic

223 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

I didn't meet my fiancee via an agency, but it makes little difference - co-workers know I've gone for several months to live with her, and I've gotten an occasional 'borderline' comment, but they're shut up easily enough. It's never bothered me much what people think outside of the people who truly matter in my life, but some people will think whatever they wish; I see it as their problem, not mine.

I've seen the 'movie,' though - it can be found on YouTube if you haven't seen it. Here's part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7cM_6q4FeA

It's interesting, but a surprising choice of 'couples' for a National Geographic movie - it's a bit sensationalistic and plays to some of the stereotypes, IMO.

I think one guy never showed his girlfriend his apartment, after being together for years, and the one younger guy claims he knows her well, then mentions something like a half dozen emails in 6 months(!!!). Interesting nonetheless.

Mailed K1: Fedex to VSC Feb 19, 2010

NOA1: Feb 22

NOA2: May 17 (84 days, no touches, both SMS and email notice received a day later)

Rcvd at NVC: May 19

Sent on to Embassy: May 21 (in reality, May 24th)

Received at Embassy: May 26

Packet 3 received: June 1

Packet 3 returned: June 2

Packet 4 received: June 16 (emailed appointment date June 11)

interview: July 19th (Warsaw - APPROVED!!!)

POE: July 24th :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

it is about American women liberating themselves out of the market and getting angry because you refuse to tolerate their BS and find a more traditional woman who enjoys being a woman and looks like it.

100% true

100% true

I second that. :)

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

The worst part of it is that I'm working/living in Dillingham, AK atm and it's like the capital of fat chicks here. They take one look at my wife and give her a sh*tty look for the fact she doesn't have a fat ####### like the rest of them here. It's got to the point to where she doesn't even want to go out anymore for a few drinks and deal with the stares she gets from fat chicks here with chips on their shoulders.

This is priceless. My initial reaction is to laugh, because it is funny, but it does have to get old for both you and your wife.

There's something SO wrong about people trying to judge others because of their own shortcomings. (being annoyed with you/you wife because she isn't fat).

I'm curious - I'm assuming you finally gave in and said something to someone giving an attitude to both of you?

Mailed K1: Fedex to VSC Feb 19, 2010

NOA1: Feb 22

NOA2: May 17 (84 days, no touches, both SMS and email notice received a day later)

Rcvd at NVC: May 19

Sent on to Embassy: May 21 (in reality, May 24th)

Received at Embassy: May 26

Packet 3 received: June 1

Packet 3 returned: June 2

Packet 4 received: June 16 (emailed appointment date June 11)

interview: July 19th (Warsaw - APPROVED!!!)

POE: July 24th :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I watched part of the special, and those dudes were the awkwardest awkwards who ever awkwarded.

It's like they went into a home for mentally retarded and picked the slowest ones.....

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: Timeline

If this is one they showed about a year ago, I've seen it. And yes, of course they have to find the most extreme examples, because who wants to watch a show about the (made up statistic alert) 90% of long distance relationships (LDR) that work out just like so-called "normal" non-LDR's.

I've tried to find a study that I saw some years ago, showing that the divorce rate amongst international LDR marriages is almost exactly the same as the non-LDR divorce rate, but it's either fallen out of Google's cache or maybe my search fu sucks, I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Dating and getting to know somebody who is geographically near you definitely has its advantages, but when it comes down to it I really think you can only know somebody so well. Except for the most extreme cases of men who just jump on an airplane as soon as they find a pretty picture on Elena's, I'd bet that most of us knew our fiancee's at least as well as most people know their SO's before marriage. They like to portray international marriages as a couple people who barely know each other at all, but the reality in most cases is, I think, a lot different. It's too bad the producers focused on such extreme cases, but that's what sells deodorant and car insurance I guess.

Timeline

I have to agree. My fiancee knows me better than some people who've known me for years. It really doesn't take long to get to know someone, just depends on how open you are about everything.

Of course there's other aspects that come in play - like never living together. So that's a period of adjustment too. But who says that all couples that meet locally live together before marriage? Hell, I know people who date girls 2 blocks away from them and see them on weekends MAYBE, if lucky.

The show was retarded FOR the retarded

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Ah, you made me think of another point I was going to make, which is that marriage changes everything. So to some extent it doesn't even matter how much you got to know each other pre-marriage. Even living together before marriage won't prepare you that much, because you always know in the back of your mind that it can be temporary. Marriage changes that, and it changes how you act in a relationship. That's where I think being geographically close to your intended loses any advantages it may have. Living together in a marriage is always going to be different, no matter what your relationship was like pre-marriage.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If this is one they showed about a year ago, I've seen it. And yes, of course they have to find the most extreme examples, because who wants to watch a show about the (made up statistic alert) 90% of long distance relationships (LDR) that work out just like so-called "normal" non-LDR's.

I've tried to find a study that I saw some years ago, showing that the divorce rate amongst international LDR marriages is almost exactly the same as the non-LDR divorce rate, but it's either fallen out of Google's cache or maybe my search fu sucks, I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Dating and getting to know somebody who is geographically near you definitely has its advantages, but when it comes down to it I really think you can only know somebody so well. Except for the most extreme cases of men who just jump on an airplane as soon as they find a pretty picture on Elena's, I'd bet that most of us knew our fiancee's at least as well as most people know their SO's before marriage. They like to portray international marriages as a couple people who barely know each other at all, but the reality in most cases is, I think, a lot different. It's too bad the producers focused on such extreme cases, but that's what sells deodorant and car insurance I guess.

Divorce rates is not the whole story with international LDRs. You'd have to factor in how many Fiancee Visa people never actually got married and split up before the 90 days. I grant that this is an interim stage you would not contend with in marrying a local woman. But as you fiancee visa boys know, the 90 day period can make or break a relationship.

The challenges with language and cultural differences with the Russian ladies adds additional burdens you won't encounter with American women. And with the high costs and limited time most men can devote to travel to be with their Russian women, I can not see their is parity with time devoted to dating local women. So I don't agree with your position. I'll be like you guys and make one of those "I know a lot of people" comments and say I know a number of American men who've married 2 or 3 Russian women. They must get addicted and keep coming back for more. But, obviously, these guys keep getting divorced. Why I don't know. But this does not support a theory that Russian marriages work better than American ones.

The show was retarded FOR the retarded

It's sad to see National Geographic taking the low road like this. I know even NG have to pay the bills, but what's next, documentaries on young earth creationists? The NG name used to stand for a certain level of credibility. Not this kind of garbage.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It's sad to see National Geographic taking the low road like this. I know even NG have to pay the bills, but what's next, documentaries on young earth creationists? The NG name used to stand for a certain level of credibility. Not this kind of garbage.

Face reality...the mail order bride concept turns many people off. And men who have to turn to a frozen wasteland, and spending thousands of dollars, to find a woman who'll tolerate them can seem pathetic. The stereotype of MOB men is as losers. Desperate men (fat, bald, old) permeates the discussion. You jokers have now added "retarded" to the dialogue. And the perception of the women is equally negative. Gold diggers, green card whores, cold, exploitative women desperate to escape an inferior homeland.

What did you expect from NG, Joanie meets Chaccie?

Timeline

Same has happened to Discovery and History.... I mean have you seen that show American Pickers? It's two guys tripping on acid running around the country collecting sh!t... #######...

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Same has happened to Discovery and History.... I mean have you seen that show American Pickers? It's two guys tripping on acid running around the country collecting sh!t... #######...

It's gotten to the point where I won't even watch History Channel. It's become a parody of the word "history." It should just be called "Let's see what kind of ####### we can peddle as legitimate history" Channel. :huh:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.