TheWebbys

Lost my job.....

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok, so here we are at that point in our filing process where we have to have all of the support information. Our paper work is at the Embassy in London and they are waiting on us to get our stuff together. Now, out of the blue and quite suddenly, I've lost my job. I am the petitioner.. so this is a HUGE deal. I am feeling very VERY depressed and am very afraid that we will fail at getting our visa. Ok, terrified is more accurate. What happens now? I have a sponsor to begin with just in case but is that enough now? Given that I don't find another job and get our paper work in before the deadline, do we lose everything we have worked so hard for and have to start over? On the flip side, if I do find another job and get our paperwork in before the deadline, will they question it or give us a hard time about the job change?

Edited by The Webbs

I married my British Husband strictly for financial purposes. My heart wrote a check and I cashed it. (L)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

First off, sorry to hear that. Losing a job is one thing, losing it right before your K-1 interview is entirely another!

In this economy, it is hardly uncommon to see job loss or shift. The main thing to address is the viability of supporting the foreign national, even if you do secure a co-sponsor. And is this co-sponsor willing to literally support you two in the event you are unable to find employment? That's the immediate question.

Dealing with facts as they currently are, you do not have an income. Do you have any assets to contribute to the equation?

Obviously, you will have to obtain a sponsor which understands and agrees to the financial obligation. Many folks make just enough to get buy, and the sponsor is sort of a means to correct the slight income deficiency on paper. Your situation may or may not be a more literal application of that.

I can understand as I'm in a somewhat similar situation. After working in Iraq for a number of years, I quit and came to the PI with my fiancée to take a break and process our K-1. That leaves me effectively unemployed, though it is actually more of a hiatus until the visa is granted. But so far as the visa process is concerned, I have no income or employer.

While I have twice the amount in savings that the 5x 125% formula requires, I'm still hesitant to proceed into the interview without a co-sponsor. Even if I just keep it in reserve as a backup, should the CO focus more on my unemployed status than my liquid assets. Which is possible; I don't know how likely it is, but it's not something I want to risk.

I'm guessing anyone's advice would be to evaluate your assets, aggressively search for a new job, and seek a solid co-sponsor that is willing to accommodate the circumstances.

Good luck! Keep us informed, as you being willing to share it with us probably enlightens a lot of other folks that are in a similar situation but are too shy to do so. This is what makes VJ so great.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Timeline

That's just the thing. I don't have any assets. I'm just one of those regular people that are trying to make it. I don't have anything other than the paycheck I used to bring in. I am utterly terrified and have been in gut-wrenching tears since Friday. Panic mode has officially set in. I really wish more people who have been in this situation would chime in and let me know what their experience was and to lend some advice. I know I can't be the only one who is or has ever faced this problem.

I want to get angry because I'm afraid and make nasty remarks about immigration issues, but I know that is only the fear and pain talking.

I married my British Husband strictly for financial purposes. My heart wrote a check and I cashed it. (L)

Timeline

Hey, no one would blame you. There isn't anyone here that doesn't have empathy for your situation.

And I'm sure more people will comment soon, Easter was just keeping them busy.

Again, so far as I understand the system you can be granted a visa with only the use of a co-sponsor, given their income/assets is sufficient to support you, your fiancé, and the sponsor's own household.

If my assets are ignored, we're in the same boat. So I'll be watching other responses closely, too.

Did you have to request an extension on your Interview, or are you still waiting for it?

You'll get a bunch of advice over the next few days, just hold out for it a little longer.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

18-Nov-10 - Approved

Timeline

Our deadline is coming fast. Beginning of May actually. The process is taking longer because my sponsor still needs to file their taxes for the affidavit. I don't know if I should go ahead and request and extension or wait a bit longer and see. I have already been busting tail to find another job, but in my small tiny town that is like using a wet towel for an umbrella. Looks like you might get it to work, but in the end you still get sopping wet.

My sponsor was to help make up for the deficiency. She has her own bills to pay and I know that they will look at every bill and every amount that comes in and out of each household. I'm sure she wouldn't mind doing what she could but I doubt she could fully support us especially considering that I have 3 children. (that's also another reason I'm terrified)

Timeline

A single mother with three children. I get it now.

I know you are upset, but let's be honest. No matter what, you are going to have to find a new job. With no income, no savings, and no one to financially depend upon, this visa is only one of a few pressing issues you face.

You have several options at this point:

1) You secure a different co-sponsor that is able to support his or her own household as well as you, the fiancé, and the three kids.

2) You find a job very soon, and still use the original co-sponsor.

Or, the least appealing,

3) You consider postponing the visa and/or resubmitting it at a later date when your finances are more amenable to being granted a visa.

I can only imagine how frustrated you are, but someone made a good point in another post -- can't remember who -- saying something to the effect that being granted a visa is a privilege, not a right. One of the main functions of the DoS is to determine that the foreign national is entering a stable financial environment in which he/she will be supported at least to the level of the poverty threshold, and subsequently will not become a public charge. I am sure you understand that your situation at the moment raises concerns on an objective level.

That doesn't make any of us feel any better, but it does put things in perspective. While we become irate at the sluggishness and inefficiency of bureaucratic red tape at times, situations like this are cut and dry. Ideally, you have a current stable income meeting at least the poverty guidelines. If it is not enough, you need assets and/or a co-sponsor. If circumstances prevent that, you consider putting it off until they do not.

There really isn't any wiggle room with that. I've already accepted that the CO will not allow me to use my assets in place of an income, and am securing a sponsor to cover that possibility. Same deal.

I know that isn't what you want to hear, but someone is inevitably going to say it once the forum picks up again.

I wish you the best down there finding a job, and hope that you join up with your loved one soon.

Good luck.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

18-Nov-10 - Approved

Timeline

Yes I know :( I have way to much on my plate. My main concern was that if I don't secure a job before the deadline when do I pursue an extension. If I DO secure a job and get it taken care of before the deadline are they going to be raising eyebrows and asking cut-throat questions about the change in jobs.

I know that my main concern is finding a job and taking care of my kids. He and I both willingly admit that, and was the main focus of our conversation tonight. We both agree that we can always refile if we really have to. There are however these two questions of "what if" and "when" that I was not so clear on and needed some clarification.

Edited by The Webbs

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

As long as your co-sponsor meets the income requirements for them self and your fiance, it doesn't matter what your particular income is. The co-sponsor does not have to support you and your children, just the foreign fiance.

Settle down, relax, and work on getting yourself a job. You are not going to have to refile as long as you have a co-sponsor. If your co-sponsor doesn't make enough money, get a second co-sponsor, there is nothing wrong with that. There are several people that apply for K-1 Visas that are students and don't have any income. There family will be the sponsor... so you will be fine!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

01-04-2008 - I-129F Sent

01-09-2008 - I-129F NOA1

03-05-2008 - I-129F NOA2

04-08-2008 - Medical Exam

04-17-2008 - Interview!!!

04-22-2008 - VISA IN HAND!

05-02-2008 - U.S. Entrance

06-14-2008 - MARRIAGE!

Phase 2....

06-19-2008 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06-26-2008 - AOS/EAD/AP NOA1

07-19-2008 - Biometrics

07-22-2008 - Transferred to CSC!

07-28-2008 - Email from CRIS confirming CSC received case

08-25-2008 - Received AP in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

08-29-2008 - Received EAD card in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

09-22-2008 - Received Email from CRIS for I-485 "CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!"

09-27-2008 - Received Green Card in the mail!

Phase 3....

06-29-2010 - Sent I-751 and package to Remove Conditions

07-06-2010 - NOA1

08-24-2010 - Biometrics

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You'll be going through London which is one of the more easier consulates.

If your joint sponsor makes enough, there is no reason to be worried.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Hmmm...see I've had it explained to me that my sponsor need only to be able to support her household with the addition of my fiance (not me or my child). I have it pretty good that my sponsor is my cousin and my fiance's sister in law. So either way she understands the "job" she is being asked and WILLING to help us with.

My suggestion would be to make sure that your sponsor understands that she is saying she will be financially responsible for your fiance. If this is something she decides to forgo, find another sponsor who will do it for you. But also keep in mind that it is very likely that your fiance could possibly be here up to 6months without being able to LEGALLY work. So discuss how that will play into your household. What kind of strain would that put on you and your relationship with him? If he is someone who is used to working and working hard, what kind of strain would that put on him mentally? One good thing that can also be a consideration is because he knows the situation now, he can possibly pick up extra work in his country and stack a pretty nice savings to come over with. That would be able to hold you guys over until your income is more stable.

This could be my optimistic nature talking but I would keep things as they are (with you having a sponsor of course) and continue to search for employment in the meantime.

Good Luck!!

tumblr_l2zffoq44C1qc5x0yo1_400.jpg

My honey is NIGERIAN and I'm AMERICAN

K1 Journey

07/27/10 Mailed Petition

07/28/10 Petition received at VSC then forwarded to Lewisville, TX (received there 7/29/10)

08/02/10 NOA1 Notice date

08/06/10 Touched

08/07/10 Received NOA1 in mail

08/10/10 Touched

10/03/10 Touched

01/31/11 I-129F Petition APPROVED!!!

02/03/11 Received hard copy of NOA2 (although the envelope is stamped Feb 2...so only one day to get to me :) )

02/07/11 Arrived at NVC

02/07/11 MADE APPOINTMENTS FOR MEDICAL AND INTERVIEW. (Will post actual dates after they occur :) )

02/08/11 Left NVC

02/17/11 Medical

03/01/11 Interview (FH is in AP)

04/12/11 AP COMPLETED!!

04/13/11 FH notified to come to the embassy with his passport!

04/26/11 FH received Visa

04/29/11 FH Arrived in the US!!! JFK POE

06/08/11 MARRIED!

Timeline

He all to well understand the situation. He himself lost his job about 2 years ago. He looked and looked for a job and was out of work for almost a year before he finally found one. Now he's worked at his current place of employment for a bit over a year now. I think it would probably benefit us more with him here. If he is out of work for 6 months that would enable to to actively seek a job without having to drag the kids along, save extra money from daycare expenses and allow us to put that extra income back into our family.

My mother is my co-sponsor. She understands fully what she has signed up for. She said she would do whatever it takes to help me get him here. All I hear out of here is "Chris this, and Chris that". lol She loves the guy and so does the rest of my family. I'm considering going forward and trying to obtain a second sponsor just to ease my nerves.

As long as your co-sponsor meets the income requirements for them self and your fiance, it doesn't matter what your particular income is. The co-sponsor does not have to support you and your children, just the foreign fiance.

Hmmm...see I've had it explained to me that my sponsor need only to be able to support her household with the addition of my fiance (not me or my child).

Is this information true?

I could really just kiss all of you for your helping me. I really could. I don't think I could handle losing my job and my husband's visa all at the same time. It would be more than I could take.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your cosponsor will have to prove that they meet the requirements for their family(let's say a family of 3) PLUS your fiance. So that would mean they must meet 125% of the poverty guidelines for a family of 4.

And yes, if you have a cosponsor that meets the eligibility requirements your income doesn't matter. There have been some couples here in which the petitioner was in school and didn't have a job. As long as they've had a cosponsor that met the requirements, they were approved.

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Your cosponsor will have to prove that they meet the requirements for their family(let's say a family of 3) PLUS your fiance. So that would mean they must meet 125% of the poverty guidelines for a family of 4.

And yes, if you have a cosponsor that meets the eligibility requirements your income doesn't matter. There have been some couples here in which the petitioner was in school and didn't have a job. As long as they've had a cosponsor that met the requirements, they were approved.

Oh god, that's enough to make me burst into tears! My mother is my sponsor and it is only her and my dad in her household. She is a nurse at our local hospital and has been for over 15 years. She has a substantial income. I think I am going to go ahead and seek out my brother in law and see what he says about helping out also. I think his income alone would cover it seeing as he is banking close to 5 grand a month and it's only himself and my sister!

Thank you all so much. So very very much!

Timeline

The US fiance is ALWAYS the primary sponsor, but may have a co-sponsor. If there is a co-sponsor, both the

US fiance and the co-sponsor will EACH have to fill out the affidavit I-134 or I-864 and EACH will have to provide

supporting documentation.

This is what it is telling me in the guides. I am so confused. It is saying that my income does matter. That I would be the PRIMARY sponsor. Surely that is going to be a big problem.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

That will not be a big problem.

I used a cosponsor, my fiance had his interview on the 23rd resulting in an approval.

No matter what you will be the primary sponsor because you are the petitioner, meaning that you will fill out an I-134. Your co-sponsor will also fill out one.

All in all, your co-sponsor is going to make up for what you lack. You lack the income, and your co-sponsor has enough income to support their household plus your fiance, which in turn means that you wont be denied based on your support documents(this will not always be true for harder consulates).

Relax, it's gonna be fine. :)

Edited by Kayla*Mathew

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.