TheWebbys

Lost my job.....

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh, god bless you Kayla (L)

I guess I should relax... cause he is telling me the same thing right now!

I married my British Husband strictly for financial purposes. My heart wrote a check and I cashed it. (L)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's all very stressful and 3 weeks ago I was in your shoes. Instead of bridezilla I was formzilla. I worried so much because I couldn't find my mom's w-2's for 2007, or 2006 and she hasn't filed her taxes for this year yet either. I was so worried they were going to deny us because of it, but the guy spent less than 3 seconds looking at those papers. I'm sure he looked at them before he interviewed us, but still. It's such a stressful situation when you're anticipating it but once it comes it's really not that bad at all. We walked out of the Montreal Consulate after being in the interview room for less than 10 minutes and I felt SO silly for freaking out all the time.

So I know what you're goin through girl. :)

Edited by Kayla*Mathew

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Your cosponsor will have to prove that they meet the requirements for their family(let's say a family of 3) PLUS your fiance. So that would mean they must meet 125% of the poverty guidelines for a family of 4.

And yes, if you have a cosponsor that meets the eligibility requirements your income doesn't matter. There have been some couples here in which the petitioner was in school and didn't have a job. As long as they've had a cosponsor that met the requirements, they were approved.

The requirement of the I-134 is: "Applicants using the I-134 will need to show that their sponsor's income is 100 percent of federal poverty guidelines as required under Section 212(a)(4) of the INA."

Good Luck....sounds like you are on your way!! :thumbs:

Franc

12.31.2009 I-129F Visa Petition rec'd at CSC

01.04.2010 I-797 NOA Receipt Notice WAC1006xxxxxx

03.02.2010 Request for Evidence: CSC wanted copy of previous divorce decree. Arrived @ CSC 03.12.1010

03.16.2010 I-797 NOA-2 Approved and sent from California Service Center 71 Days from NOA-1

03.16.2010 USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center.

03.23.2010 NVC sent file to U.S. Embassy in San Jose, Costa Rica! SNJ2010XXXXXX

03.26.2010 Received NVC letter (hard copy) dated March 24, 2010 in the mail.

03.27.2010 File arrived @ U.S. Embassy.

04.07.2010 Embassy called for Elsie to come and get Packet #3. She will pick up April 13th.

04.08.2010 Embassy e-mailed Packet #3 to me today.

04.15.2010 Interview scheduled for 30 April 2010

04.30.2010 Visas approved...pick up everything on 5/4/2010 @ 3pm.

05.05.2010 Traveling together to the USA...POE Denver, Colorado

07.28.2010 Married today...end to a long journey with more to come!!

Timeline

Thanks everyone! Life suddenly doesn't feel like a big black hole that is going to devour me alive.

Like I said, I don't think I could handle two tragedies at once. Losing my job was horrific enough. Losing our visa and my job... heart stopping!

I married my British Husband strictly for financial purposes. My heart wrote a check and I cashed it. (L)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The requirement of the I-134 is: "Applicants using the I-134 will need to show that their sponsor's income is 100 percent of federal poverty guidelines as required under Section 212(a)(4) of the INA."

Good Luck....sounds like you are on your way!! :thumbs:

Franc

When it comes to AOS time the 125% will be used, and because of this some consulates go ahead and use it as their guidelines anyway. Besides, if you prove 125% now you aren't in for any surprises when the I-864 is used. This has been discussed many times in many threads about the benefits of using I-864 guidelines over the I-134. :)

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Aww, I am very sorry to hear you lost your job. That is incredibly hard...

I'm not sure what advice to give, but reading these posts make me wonder about my situation. Back last May, I wanted to start our visa process, but I didn't have a job... I tried so hard for months to get a job, but I didn't get one until September. I was very depressed at the time because without a job, there was no way I could start this visa process for my fiance, and we missed each other so much. I finally did start our visa process last month. But, I don't make enough money to meet the poverty line. I tried to get a co-sponsor, but my dad is a cheapskate and didn't really want to help, my mom wanted to help but she doesn't work and is on social security disability... But, I went ahead and started the visa process because I have a house in my name, and with that asset, we should be fine, at least I hope so. At least what I read in the book I have, "Fiance and Marriage Visas: A Couple's Guide to U.S. Immigration" I thought with that asset we would be ok. Either way I know I am going to be worried when my fiance goes to his interview, just because of my income issue...

The Webbs, I hope everything goes well for you guys, and that you get a new job soon!

Edited by BirdyGirl85
VJAvatar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

First, relax! There are lots of college students with virtually no income, and they manage to get by fine with a co-sponsor. You're fortunate to be going through a consulate that is reasonably easy. Consulates in high fraud countries will often not accept a co-sponsor.

Yes, you ARE the primary sponsor, even if you have no income, because you are the one who filed the petition. If your fiance ends up collecting means tested benefits in the US then the government is going to come after YOU before they come after your co-sponsor.

The consulates have wide latitude when making the "public charge" determination for a K visa. Most of them do apply the I-864 income thresholds, which means 125% of the poverty guidelines for the household size of the sponsor. Forget what it says in the I-134 instructions about 100% of the poverty guidelines - consulates aren't bound by the instructions in the I-134, and most don't follow them. This actually makes sense, when you think about it. It wouldn't be fair if they let you come into the US using the I-134 standards, and then raised the bar using the I-864 standards after you get here before they'll give you a green card. They use the I-134 instead of the I-864 because the beneficiary doesn't become an immigrant until they arrive in the US and apply for a green card. Since the I-864 is a binding contract (the I-134 is not), it wouldn't make sense to make the sponsor sign a binding contract to support someone who hasn't immigrated yet.

The household size includes the sponsor who signs the affidavit, anyone they support, and the beneficiary. Judging from what you've said, it sounds like your household includes you, your three kids, and your fiance. That means you'd need an income of $32,237 per year in order to qualify on your own.

You can't combine sponsors with the I-134, so if your mother is to be your co-sponsor then she has to qualify on HER income alone, and not the combined income of your mom and dad. If she has no other dependents, then her household would include her and your fiance - the affidavit doesn't make her responsible for supporting you and your kids - the affidavit only adds your fiance to her household. For two people she'd need to make $18,212 per year. If your mom also supports your dad, then he would also need to be included in her household size, and her income would need to be $22,887 per year.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

This was extremely helpful! It gives details that I really needed!

First, relax! There are lots of college students with virtually no income, and they manage to get by fine with a co-sponsor. You're fortunate to be going through a consulate that is reasonably easy. Consulates in high fraud countries will often not accept a co-sponsor.

Yes, you ARE the primary sponsor, even if you have no income, because you are the one who filed the petition. If your fiance ends up collecting means tested benefits in the US then the government is going to come after YOU before they come after your co-sponsor.

The consulates have wide latitude when making the "public charge" determination for a K visa. Most of them do apply the I-864 income thresholds, which means 125% of the poverty guidelines for the household size of the sponsor. Forget what it says in the I-134 instructions about 100% of the poverty guidelines - consulates aren't bound by the instructions in the I-134, and most don't follow them. This actually makes sense, when you think about it. It wouldn't be fair if they let you come into the US using the I-134 standards, and then raised the bar using the I-864 standards after you get here before they'll give you a green card. They use the I-134 instead of the I-864 because the beneficiary doesn't become an immigrant until they arrive in the US and apply for a green card. Since the I-864 is a binding contract (the I-134 is not), it wouldn't make sense to make the sponsor sign a binding contract to support someone who hasn't immigrated yet.

The household size includes the sponsor who signs the affidavit, anyone they support, and the beneficiary. Judging from what you've said, it sounds like your household includes you, your three kids, and your fiance. That means you'd need an income of $32,237 per year in order to qualify on your own.

You can't combine sponsors with the I-134, so if your mother is to be your co-sponsor then she has to qualify on HER income alone, and not the combined income of your mom and dad. If she has no other dependents, then her household would include her and your fiance - the affidavit doesn't make her responsible for supporting you and your kids - the affidavit only adds your fiance to her household. For two people she'd need to make $18,212 per year. If your mom also supports your dad, then he would also need to be included in her household size, and her income would need to be $22,887 per year.

Every one of you are so wonderful! Because of all of your support and well wishes things aren't seeming quite so bleak. Everyday is brighter and I find it easier to keep a smile on my face...especially since I'm looking for a job lol. I am keeping an optimistic attitude and I have good hope that I may have struck the right cords with some possible employers today! I'll just have to keep at it until someone breaks and gives me a job. I'll call and go by everyday until they realize how determined I am lol I am going to make this work. I am going to find a new job and I will marry my husband.. even if I have to drive everyone in my town crazy until I do! :lol:

Edited by The Webbs

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

I hope that everything works out for everyone! I am just beginning this (seemingly horrific!) process with my fiancee, Giancarlos, who is Peruvian. I've been in Peru living off savings as well as taking online classes through my college in the States for the last two years (I'm 25 years old). Thus, I have no money, no assets, pretty much nothing! Giancarlos is in the same boat as me... has pretty much no money. However, my family is willing to be his co-sponsor. I almost choked when I saw that I had to be his sponsor! Do you think it is possible for my mother to sign off to be his sponsor (even though he is from Peru)? I am so nervous...

Take care and good luck everyone!

Katie

My mother is my co-sponsor. She understands fully what she has signed up for. She said she would do whatever it takes to help me get him here. All I hear out of here is "Chris this, and Chris that". lol She loves the guy and so does the rest of my family.

My mom is like that too! We have the cutest picture of her and Nik at our wedding with her head on his shoulder. For her it's really a case of gaining a son not loosing a daughter! :lol:

I think Jim answered a lot of your technical questions. There was another London petitioner who lost her job in about the same part of the process - She posts under John and Camie. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/189104-yikes-laid-off-after-noa-2-for-k-1 Of course, her story ended up alright with a new job before the interview, but I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one who gets bitten by this issue!

London definitely accepts cosponsors. Be sure that you stop by the UK regional forum and learn about some of the quirks for the forms for London - like checking "Do intend to provide specific contributions" especially for cosponsors. Since you have people willing to help you, there is a clear path forward, so don't loose hope!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Thanks for those links. Him and I will be reading over them tonight when he wakes up. I'm much less terrified now because of all of you! (L)

Timeline
:wow: I just spoke more in depth with my mother and.....needless to say... a second sponsor isn't going to be needed...."gulp". Guess it's a good thing I'm going to be trying to get my CNA license. It's a foot in the door to what she does... wow!

Timeline

Ok, one more question pertaining to my issue. We are almost done gathering all the paperwork to file. What we need now are the letters from our employers. My mother (sponsor) is getting hers, but what about mine? Seeing as how I lost my job, will I be filing with my separation notice instead?

Ok, one more question pertaining to my issue. We are almost done gathering all the paperwork to file. What we need now are the letters from our employers. My mother (sponsor) is getting hers, but what about mine? Seeing as how I lost my job, will I be filing with my separation notice instead?

You only need an employment letter if you are employed and planning on claiming that income. Since you aren't employed, not claiming that you have that income, then you don't need to have an employment letter.

You should still send your taxes information.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Ok so... sponsor's tax forms, my tax forms, and both our I-134 affidavits, her last few months of pay stubs, and her letter from employer is all I need?

Her tax forms.... check

My tax forms....check.

Her check stubs... check

2- I-134 documents... pending.

Letter from employer..pending

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.