Calypso

A Successful AOS Interview

34 posts in this topic

Nota bene: The immigration officer has apparently familiarized himself with our case. He didn't ask for my husband's birth certificate, passport, or any proof of U.S. citizenship. He didn't even mention anything that related to affidavit of support. The IO didn't care to ask for W-2s, 1040s, paystubs, letter of employment, etc. althought I brought them all. He must have seen those documents and forms from our initial submission. I believe that he was particularly assigned to us and was selected for a reason by the higher ranks way ahead of time. He has been to the Philippines more than once and commented that he knew my hometown Cebu even before I found out such a place existed.

When my AOS journey began, I hoped a lot for my case to be moved to CSC so that I wouldn't have an interview. I just learned one day that applicants residing in California rarely or do not get transferred to CSC. On February 24 this year, I received my interview letter with the date March 29, 2010. I noticed the advantage of having an interview and have been very excited for it. I kept thinking that I have one specific day to get a sure approval or denial instead of waiting and guessing when.

My husband and I arrived outside the Federal Building on 300 North Los Angeles St., Los Angeles at past 12:20 p.m. today. There were many people outside so we asked the guard if we still ought to join the queue in spite of our appointment letter. It was a yes and it took us approximately 30 minutes before we had the security check. We hastily headed for the elevator after passing through the detectors and guards.

There were signs on the fourth floor that led us to Room 4377. We spotted a female officer inside the room and we told her we were there for the interview. She instructed us to drop our appointment letter to Window 1. The man inside Window 1 asked us to choose a seat and wait for my name to be called.

Different groups of people were inside Room 4377 and most of them seemed to have lawyers. One person was called to go to Door # 1. A few others sitting with that individual stood up with her and went to Door # 1. Less than 10 minutes from the moment my husband and I arrived in that room, the man in Window 1 spoke my name and urged me to proceed to Door # 1. A non-Caucasian man opened Door # 1 and directed us to follow him. We reached his office in a few strides and started the oath that ended with "So help me God."

The IO asked even before the three of us sat, "You have been married for a year already, right?"

My brows met and I shook my head then said NO.

The rest of the interview was a soothing breeze. There must have been less than 20 questions. It was more like a casual conversation between people getting to know each other rather a formal interview.

His questions for my husband:

How did you meet?

Do you have kids? (He answered not yet and the IO commented that was good.)

What do you do?

His questions for me:

Where did you live in the Philippines?

What's your complete address at present?

What was your major in college?

Did you have a strict upbringing?

Are you currently working?

Did you have a big or a small wedding?

The officer sang once in a while. He is a very pleasant and cheerful man. He asked if I had received my EAD and AP. I showed those to him. He kept them and said that I don't need those because all I have to use is my green card. He also wanted to see my birth certificate and marriage certificate. Once he saw the original versions of those, he gave them back to me. He continued, "You don't have papers with your name together like joint bank accounts because the time was very short to secure those, right?"

I said that my husband added my name in his health insurance and we have a joint bank account. I showed him the health insurance certificate, the separate paper from another company for the dental and vision insurance, joint bank account, and four notarized letters (from both of my parents-in-law, one of our neighbors here, and my husband's childhood friend who lives several blocks from our place). I also presented our YMCA membership IDs, twin credit cards, twin ATM cards, two real health insurance cards, and another two actual cards for the vision and dental insurance. He let me keep the cards after seeing them but took the original insurance certificates and bank statements. He then skimmed through my album and after seeing a few pages, he gave it back to me without bothering to look at other portions of it.

The IO stamped the front page of my I-485 "Approved" and began facing the computer while singing. He explained to me that he'd print a few notes and then we could get out of there already. He said that he already notified the right people who would produce my green card and they replied that my green card would show up rapidly. He also elaborated what permanent residency is and said that mine is still conditional so I should return in less than two years to lift conditions and that I could already be a U.S. citizen in three years. He handed me the papers he had printed. One has the line "Congratulations! Your application to adjust status has been approved." The other paper has the title "Notice to Conditional Permanent Resident Alien." According to the IO, the date he wrote there would be the actual expiration date of my green card and I should use Form I-751 to remove conditions within 90 days preceding the second anniversary of the date my conditional permanent resident status was granted.

I thank our Eternal God for His loving kindess and magnanimity; my exceptional baby love husband for being the best every single day; our cat Prince; all other helpful people around me; my fellow January 2010 AOS filers (you guys are amazing); my OT playmates and chopfvck friends; and VJ for being a fun playground.

My husband and I left our phones inside his car. There was a text message saying that my case was already updated online. I logged in to my USCIS account and that round thing moved to "Card prodution ordered" for my I-485. I got the same e-mail. My baby and I went back to the restaurant (Cravings in West Hollywood) where we got married in order to celebrate the approval of my AOS.

God bless us constantly and may we all have a contemplative Holy Week. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Congratulations ! Great Write-Up, Too !!!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Congratulations, Calypso!!!

AOS (from VWP)Application Removal of Conditions Timeline Naturalization Timeline
12/28/2009 Sent I-130,I-485,I-765 02/25/2012 Sent out I-751 via USPS to VSC 01/15/2013 Sent out N-400 via USPS to Dallas, TX
03/24/2010 AOS Interview APPROVED!!! 10/24/2012 RFE 04/03/2013 Naturalization Interview - Passed!
04/05/2010 Greencard arrived!! 01/03/2013 Approved! Card production ordered! 05/15/2013 Oath Ceremony - Kyle is a US Citizen!

***Detailed time line in my About Me page***

My husband and I left our phones inside his car. There was a text message saying that my case was already updated online. I logged in to my USCIS account and that round thing moved to "Card prodution ordered" for my I-485. I got the same e-mail. My baby and I went back to the restaurant (Cravings in West Hollywood) where we got married in order to celebrate the approval of my AOS.

God bless us constantly and may we all have a contemplative Holy Week. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

CONGRATS CALYPSO!!! kicking.gifkicking.gifkicking.gifkicking.gif

Our Timeline - AOS from J-1 & J-2

10/03/09 - Wedding in Reno, NV

01/14/10 - I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 filed

01/25/10 - Checks cashed, NOAs sent!! (Day 1)

01/28/10 - NOAs received - dated 1/25/10 (Day 3)

02/04/10 - Biometrics letter received! (Day 10)

02/16/10 - Biometrics appointment, Modesto, CA - COMPLETED! (Day 22)

03/11/10 - Received interview notice - April 15, 2010 in Fresno, CA (Day 45)

03/18/10 - AP Approved (for my daughter - not me)!! (Day 52)

03/24/10 - Touch I-485 and email that RFE received on 2/18/10 (Day 58)

04/05/10 - INFOPASS appointment -- was told NBC must have decided not to process AP or EAD because interview was so soon. (Day 70)

04/13/10 - Email - EAD Card production ordered, Touch on my AP (Day 78)

04/15/10 - Interview @ 10:30am - APPROVED!!! Email - Green Card production ordered! (Day 80)

04/16/10 - My AP received in mail (no approval email), ANOTHER email EAD Card production ordered, Touch on I-765, I-485 & I-130 (Day 81)

04/20/10 - Green card status changed to post-decision activity, Touch on I-765 & I-485 (Day 85)

04/26/10 - Greencard RECEIVED!!!! (Day 91)

Our Timeline - ROC

02/09/12 - I-751 Filed

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: Just to add to what Darnell said, your account was descriptive and thorough and will serve well those who have yet to have their interviews. Kudos to you, but I know that the outcome was never in doubt, HE made sure of that when HE made you. :innocent:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations! I'm happy for you and I'm so excited for my own interview too.

(AOS Sent 12/31/09)

AOS NOA letter received 1/12/10

1/6/10 received date

1/8/10 notice date

Biometrics letter received 1/25/10

01/14/10 notice date

02/04/10 appointment date

(AED Sent 1/19/10)

AED NOA letter received 1/29/10

1/21/10 received date

1/27/10 notice date

Biometrics letter received 2/2/10

1/29/10 notice date

2/17/10 appointment date

(RFE med exam)

RFE letter received 1/25/10

Notice dated 1/22/10

2/08/10 RFE response sent

2/16/10 received date by uscis MO

(Interview)

Appointment letter received 3/17/2010

Notice dated 3/10/2010

Interview date 4/14/2010

Approved GC 4/14/2010

Here are photos of what I brought with me for the interview (one is the yellow plastic envelope that I used during my K1 interview in Manila while the other is a scrapbook-like album):

167ryih.jpg

20gk7lv.jpg

nfsket.jpg

246540i.jpg

symo8k.jpg

Thank you everyone for the greetings. :star:

Yes, I used the same envelope that I got for my K1. I just modified the labels inside.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Timeline

Nota bene: The immigration officer has apparently familiarized himself with our case. He didn't ask for my husband's birth certificate, passport, or any proof of U.S. citizenship. He didn't even mention anything that related to affidavit of support. The IO didn't care to ask for W-2s, 1040s, paystubs, letter of employment, etc. althought I brought them all. He must have seen those documents and forms from our initial submission. I believe that he was particularly assigned to us and was selected for a reason by the higher ranks way ahead of time. He has been to the Philippines more than once and commented that he knew my hometown Cebu even before I found out such a place existed.

When my AOS journey began, I hoped a lot for my case to be moved to CSC so that I wouldn't have an interview. I just learned one day that applicants residing in California rarely or do not get transferred to CSC. On February 24 this year, I received my interview letter with the date March 29, 2010. I noticed the advantage of having an interview and have been very excited for it. I kept thinking that I have one specific day to get a sure approval or denial instead of waiting and guessing when.

My husband and I arrived outside the Federal Building on 300 North Los Angeles St., Los Angeles at past 12:20 p.m. today. There were many people outside so we asked the guard if we still ought to join the queue in spite of our appointment letter. It was a yes and it took us approximately 30 minutes before we had the security check. We hastily headed for the elevator after passing through the detectors and guards.

There were signs on the fourth floor that led us to Room 4377. We spotted a female officer inside the room and we told her we were there for the interview. She instructed us to drop our appointment letter to Window 1. The man inside Window 1 asked us to choose a seat and wait for my name to be called.

Different groups of people were inside Room 4377 and most of them seemed to have lawyers. One person was called to go to Door # 1. A few others sitting with that individual stood up with her and went to Door # 1. Less than 10 minutes from the moment my husband and I arrived in that room, the man in Window 1 spoke my name and urged me to proceed to Door # 1. A non-Caucasian man opened Door # 1 and directed us to follow him. We reached his office in a few strides and started the oath that ended with "So help me God."

The IO asked even before the three of us sat, "You have been married for a year already, right?"

My brows met and I shook my head then said NO.

The rest of the interview was a soothing breeze. There must have been less than 20 questions. It was more like a casual conversation between people getting to know each other rather a formal interview.

His questions for my husband:

How did you meet?

Do you have kids? (He answered not yet and the IO commented that was good.)

What do you do?

His questions for me:

Where did you live in the Philippines?

What's your complete address at present?

What was your major in college?

Did you have a strict upbringing?

Are you currently working?

Did you have a big or a small wedding?

The officer sang once in a while. He is a very pleasant and cheerful man. He asked if I had received my EAD and AP. I showed those to him. He kept them and said that I don't need those because all I have to use is my green card. He also wanted to see my birth certificate and marriage certificate. Once he saw the original versions of those, he gave them back to me. He continued, "You don't have papers with your name together like joint bank accounts because the time was very short to secure those, right?"

I said that my husband added my name in his health insurance and we have a joint bank account. I showed him the health insurance certificate, the separate paper from another company for the dental and vision insurance, joint bank account, and four notarized letters (from both of my parents-in-law, one of our neighbors here, and my husband's childhood friend who lives several blocks from our place). I also presented our YMCA membership IDs, twin credit cards, twin ATM cards, two real health insurance cards, and another two actual cards for the vision and dental insurance. He let me keep the cards after seeing them but took the original insurance certificates and bank statements. He then skimmed through my album and after seeing a few pages, he gave it back to me without bothering to look at other portions of it.

The IO stamped the front page of my I-485 "Approved" and began facing the computer while singing. He explained to me that he'd print a few notes and then we could get out of there already. He said that he already notified the right people who would produce my green card and they replied that my green card would show up rapidly. He also elaborated what permanent residency is and said that mine is still conditional so I should return in less than two years to lift conditions and that I could already be a U.S. citizen in three years. He handed me the papers he had printed. One has the line "Congratulations! Your application to adjust status has been approved." The other paper has the title "Notice to Conditional Permanent Resident Alien." According to the IO, the date he wrote there would be the actual expiration date of my green card and I should use Form I-751 to remove conditions within 90 days preceding the second anniversary of the date my conditional permanent resident status was granted.

I thank our Eternal God for His loving kindess and magnanimity; my exceptional baby love husband for being the best every single day; our cat Prince; all other helpful people around me; my fellow January 2010 AOS filers (you guys are amazing); my OT playmates and chopfvck friends; and VJ for being a fun playground.

We had our AOS today as well and went well, and it almost sounds about like yours. But I was quite shocked that most of what we had brought to the interview was never even mention. The IO simply said "Ok, what documents do you have for me, and to start we produced five (5) joint accounts, checking, utilities, etc. and that was it. She asked my wife what is her address and our dates of birth, and no other questions, at least what one would expect. She didn't ask for any updated I-864, pictures, cards, etc., nothing. She was hole-punching the few papers that we did give her as fast as we were handing to her and putting them in the file. Don't get me wrong as I'm not complaining one bit. Our appointment was at 1pm today, and we were back home at 1:50pm. By the way congradulations. :)

Edited by Mike N Julie

qip3dmkzd14e.png

01/05/12 - Mailed I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions.

01/09/12 - Petiton arrived us VSC.

11/15/12 - Wife Received ten year PR Card.

Congrats, Calypso!!! :-)

Hopefully see you in two years or so for the removal of conditions!!!

cheers!!

25 January 2010: Concurrent filing of I-130, I-485, EAD and AP - sent via UPS overnight delivery to Chicago Lockbox

26 January 2010: Received by receptionist CHIBA at 8:30 AM/Received date on NOA

02 February 2010: Checked cashed/Notice date

05 February 2010: Received NOA's for I-130,I-485,I-131,I-130

13 February 2010: Received ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics.

17 February 2010: Date of RFE for Federal Tax 1040/Received Text & Email confirmation

19 February 2010: Received RFE in mail

22 February 2010: Mailed Response to RFE via USPS Express mail

24 February 2010: Package delivered and received at Lee's Summit office

26 February 2010: Biometrics DONE/RFE Received-case processing resumed

17 March 2010: Email approval notifications - EAD & AP.

22 March 2010: Received AP by mail. Received interview schedule notice for 22 April.

22 April 2010: Greencard Approved :)

Removal of Conditions

24 January 2012: Sent I-751 petition via USPS Overnight

25 January 2012: Delivered at CSC, Receipt Date NOA1

27 January 2012: Checked cashed

30 January 2012: Received NOA in mail.

06 February 2012: Received Biometrics notice (dated 03 Feb)

02 March 2012: Biometrics appointment.

We had our AOS today as well and went well, and it almost sounds about like yours. But I was quite shocked that most of what we had brought to the interview was never even mention. The IO simply said "Ok, what documents do you have for me, and to start we produced five (5) joint accounts, checking, utilities, etc. and that was it. She asked my wife what is her address and our dates of birth, and no other questions, at least what one would expect. She didn't ask for any updated I-864, pictures, cards, etc., nothing. She was hole-punching the few papers that we did give her as fast as we were handing to her and putting them in the file. Don't get me wrong as I'm not complaining one bit. Our appointment was at 1pm today, and we were back home at 1:50pm. By the way congradulations. :)

Thank you and congratulations to you both, too. :thumbs:

We had our interview at 1 p.m. We left the IO's office around 1:30. The interview was completed in less than 20 minutes. We spent more time outside the Federal Building.

Congrats, Calypso!!! :-)

Hopefully see you in two years or so for the removal of conditions!!!

cheers!!

Thank you. :star: I'm sure we'll still see each other around.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations Calypso and Mike N Julie, as well! I'm glad both of your interviews went so well, and great report, Calypso :).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Congratulations Calypso and Mike N Julie, as well! I'm glad both of your interviews went so well, and great report, Calypso :).

Thank you, and its a relief. :whistle:

qip3dmkzd14e.png

01/05/12 - Mailed I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions.

01/09/12 - Petiton arrived us VSC.

11/15/12 - Wife Received ten year PR Card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.