Emmamama

RFE for Birth Certificate, need help!

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi guys,

Just got off the phone with an NVC operator (who was not as nice as the people I have spoke with before!). We have an RFE for my husband's birth certificate. It is not the original the woman told me. It in fact IS the original, the problem is that on the back side of birth certificate is that it says "...this document is a true copy of the its genuine birth certificate." We called the civil registrar's office and were told that this is the only birth certificate that they can and will issue. It is the only certificate that husband has had ever. The registrar's office said they can't give us the "original" because it is THEIR document and they will NOT give it to anyone.

It is stored away (god knows where) in their records somewhere. Again, they told us that the certificate he has is the ONLY one that citizens are given.

What should we do?

Should we write a letter explaining this and mail it back to the NVC? Ask the registrar's office to write this letter??

GRRRRRRR...

advice por favor!

Timeline

Forgot to ADD this...

I read in Lingche

"Annotation by the appropriate authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records"

I said before that the document says that "this document is a true copy of its genuine birth certificate" and it is signed and stamped. Wouldn't this be annotation by the appropriate authority????

If we write a letter stating this would it be ok or does it need to be done by an official?

Because it looks like they won't write that the registrar may not write an explanation...

The BC you currently have - does it have a raised 'official' seal on it?

It's not raised, but it is an official stamp.

There is one on the front and one on the back.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Can you talk to an operator? Explain the situation and see what they suggest?

Sorry about your RFE, btw.

They suck, bigtime. :(

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

Can you talk to an operator? Explain the situation and see what they suggest?

Sorry about your RFE, btw.

They suck, bigtime. :(

I KNOW. I cried, I'm not even going to front.

Will call now.

Timeline

Don't worry--I went completely ballistic when mine was issued. I didn't even know what it was for three whole days. It was like a sh*t-show.

I hope you can resolve it soon. (F)

Maybe the registrar's office can write a letter stating that THAT is the only BC they issue to its citizens. And add a copy of it with some official stamps on it?

Edited by sachinky

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Don't worry--I went completely ballistic when mine was issued. I didn't even know what it was for three whole days. It was like a sh*t-show.

I hope you can resolve it soon. (F)

Maybe the registrar's office can write a letter stating that THAT is the only BC they issue to its citizens. And add a copy of it with some official stamps on it?

That really blows Em. See, it makes no sense to me how the NVC cant understand (being that they deal with other countries) that different things apply to different places? Please keep us posted on how you are going to proceed.

$hit Show Sachinky? That made me laff... :rofl: I remember them days. You were a FORCE NOT to be reckoned with... thats for sure.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If that is the only birth certificate the region your husband was born in issues, then get an official letter from the registrar stating so. This should staisfy NVC.

Alternatively, if there is something specific that they are looking for (perhaps an issue with the seal or what it says) then ask a live person at NVC

Sorry, we got an RFE as well, it is frustrating.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

Just to clarify an error that occurs frequently. The original birth certificate is issued after the birth. Sometimes the same day, sometimes a day or even two later. Mine was issued on December 1, 1957, which is one day after I was born. I have it, and I would never, not in a million years mail it to anybody. So please don't say it's the original, unless the document you mailed was as old as you are now.

What you sent is an official copy, and that should be sufficient, once you prove it is what it is.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

My original birth certificate too was issued the day after I was born. It is literally as old as I am. Yellow and fading and torn at the edges held together by tape.

NVC accepted it without any issues.

God help them if they lose it. :devil:

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I would ask the operator to transfer you to a supervisor of they are of no help. A supervisor may have better handle on things. Your BC sounds to me as a certified copy so I am not sure why they have issue to begin with. This really blows tongue_ss.gif

02-09-2007 : Marriage

I-130 Stage (Filed while I was on Green card)

California Service Center

06-11-2007 : I-130 Sent

08-04-2009 : I-130 Approved

NVC Stage

09-04-2009 : NVC Received

09-08-2009 : NVC case# assigned (Waiting game begins to Upgrade my case to IR-1)

01-22-2010 : Became U.S. citizen (Sent request to upgrade petition from F2A to IR-1 catagory)

02-17-2010 : Case finally upgraded to IR-1

03-20-2010 : Case complete

04-12-2010 : Receiced interview notice.

Chennai Consulate Stage

05-01-2010: Medical

05-04-2010: Interview Approved!!!!!!

05-21-2010: POE at San Francisco

06-21-2010: Received GC in mail

Timeline

If that is the only birth certificate the region your husband was born in issues, then get an official letter from the registrar stating so. This should staisfy NVC.

Alternatively, if there is something specific that they are looking for (perhaps an issue with the seal or what it says) then ask a live person at NVC

Sorry, we got an RFE as well, it is frustrating.

Good luck.

Thanks. I called and the operator said that I could "write a quick little note" and then sort of went in the direction of getting a note from civil registrar.

RFEs are like...

eh. I think you could fill in the blank with any horrible thing.

Timeline

I would ask the operator to transfer you to a supervisor of they are of no help. A supervisor may have better handle on things. Your BC sounds to me as a certified copy so I am not sure why they have issue to begin with. This really blows tongue_ss.gif

Right??? Got off the phone with a second operator who was nicer but I'm getting all confused and angry and am not 100% sure I understood what she was saying. She then said that they hadn't actually sent out any info but on the AVR said that something was sent out last Friday. What's the deal??

That really blows Em. See, it makes no sense to me how the NVC cant understand (being that they deal with other countries) that different things apply to different places? Please keep us posted on how you are going to proceed.

$hit Show Sachinky? That made me laff... :rofl: I remember them days. You were a FORCE NOT to be reckoned with... thats for sure.

Grrrrr...I know, I know. Things can be a lot worse just feelin' sorry for myself. Slash wanting to get "the show on the road" once and for all!

Thanks for looking out guys!

Will keep you updated!

Boa sorte!

Timeline

Just to clarify an error that occurs frequently. The original birth certificate is issued after the birth. Sometimes the same day, sometimes a day or even two later. Mine was issued on December 1, 1957, which is one day after I was born. I have it, and I would never, not in a million years mail it to anybody. So please don't say it's the original, unless the document you mailed was as old as you are now.

What you sent is an official copy, and that should be sufficient, once you prove it is what it is.

It was issued AFTER his bday.

How should prove that "it is what it is"??

Argue on the phone (ha!) or send them a written statement??

And what should I put in the written statement?

So confused.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Oh Em, I'm so sorry! NVC is sending out RFEs like candy!

Hope you can fix it soon!

(F)

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.