w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

A British immigrant's article about his American wife. Good read.

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am English. I moved here in 2005, having met, and subsequently married, a wonderful woman I met in an on-line support forum.

Mrs Twigg was born and raised in a small town in Oklahoma. We still live in "small town" Oklahoma, but a different town. She was raised Methodist, and many of her family are committed Southern Baptists. Mrs Twigg believes in God, but does not, any more, believe in God's Organisers on Earth.

For her whole adult life she has been a registered Republican, and voted straight ticket without ever having to give it much thought. I mean, what was to think about? Liberals were the enemies of her way of life. She may have wondered about some GOP (and Church) attitudes, but her world was protected from those who would destroy America. Her parents said so, her Pastor confirmed it, and her school teachers forgot to teach her to think for herself.

Fortunately, as we will see, she learned that anyway :)

In many ways, it must have been profoundly shocking to her when she met me, a European, Atheist and deeply committed to Progressive ideals and policies. This was a foreign language in more ways that one. I have a cute accent, and I guess that helped :)

It started small. We would drive around Tulsa and I would count the churches. An amusing, but odd pastime to a woman who had never questioned such things. Then I would ask her when driving around some of the poorer neighbourhoods, why the only buildings with decent roofs were the churches? When the local housing was in disrepair, the church not only had a new roof, but a folded metal roof that costs about four times the price of shingles. I mean ... couldn't they have used shingles on the church, and spent the savings repairing the roofs of some parishioners?

There were many other straws in the wind of our conversations, but questions like this, just asked out of curiosity were the start. In reality, I was learning too. I was new here, and America is not the UK. The UK and the US does have a closeness, but it's misleading and I was keen to learn. I was, and am, mindful of the old adage "Britain and America are two countries separated by a common language". In many respects there is very little about life here that reminds me of life back home. So criticism was out, and questioning helped me understand. As a little aside, by the way, Europeans, generally, have no concept of, or understanding of, life and attitudes in the USA, even though we think we do.

At the time this all was happening, Mrs Twigg changed from being a stay-at- home Mom, to a High School Teacher in Special Ed. So it was a busy time.

As our conversations meandered, and time moved along, there was a change. My wife began to ask the questions. She said that I was the first person she had ever met who challenges "those truths we hold to be self-evident", at least from her perspective and upbringing. She was curious, and sometimes it was hard to talk without one or the other becoming upset. This wasn't, for her, a new cake recipe, it was a new life and philosophy on living. Sometimes I was frustrated, often she groped desperately to understand, but we love each other, and we made progress together.

It is useful for us both to remember that, whatever our nationalities, and social or political backgrounds, in the end we all want pretty much the same thing. We want to be safe, we want to be happy. We want to raise our kids, put them through college and live long enough to enjoy the fruits of our efforts; and we would like our kids to improve on that.

Whether we are English or American, French German, Israeli, Palestinian , Black, Whites or Native American. None of that matters, the bulk of our populations, the workers, the middle classes, the wealth creators and builders .... We all want pretty much the same thing. And that is such a fundamental truth that, as I chat with my wife we always have the basic principles to rely on, to keep us grounded.

It also helped her to start questioning those who apparently want something different. That small band of men and women who do not seek to further the ambitions of the people, but work to serve only the interests of a much smaller group of self-interest.

In Oklahoma, as in other places, you don't have to look very far, or very deeply to find examples. Find them she did. She found them in politicians, in Pastors, in schools and in our neighbourhood. She found them in her family.

Mrs Twigg recently changed her Party Affiliation to "Democratic Party". She voted straight ticket Dem last go around, and I drove her to the Poll, as I had driven her to previous Polls where I knew she would vote "Republican". I drove her with equal enthusiasm all times .... because it is her right to vote her conscience, and my job to support her.

But I have to tell you, the last drive was the happiest. Made all the sweeter by meeting the attorney who had handled her divorce when we went to the local Dem Campaign Office to collect our Obama/Biden yard signs :)

Even here .... even in Tulsa change happens. If my wife and I have learned anything it is that change can happen. It may not be fast, and there are setbacks along the way, but if people are exposed to real ideas, real solutions and can see real benefits then they will not go back. Once you effect this kind of change it does not flip at the next election cycle.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/3/26/851092/-I-married-a-Republican

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

I am English. I moved here in 2005, having met, and subsequently married, a wonderful woman I met in an on-line support forum.

Mrs Twigg was born and raised in a small town in Oklahoma. We still live in "small town" Oklahoma, but a different town. She was raised Methodist, and many of her family are committed Southern Baptists. Mrs Twigg believes in God, but does not, any more, believe in God's Organisers on Earth.

For her whole adult life she has been a registered Republican, and voted straight ticket without ever having to give it much thought. I mean, what was to think about? Liberals were the enemies of her way of life. She may have wondered about some GOP (and Church) attitudes, but her world was protected from those who would destroy America. Her parents said so, her Pastor confirmed it, and her school teachers forgot to teach her to think for herself.

Fortunately, as we will see, she learned that anyway :)

In many ways, it must have been profoundly shocking to her when she met me, a European, Atheist and deeply committed to Progressive ideals and policies. This was a foreign language in more ways that one. I have a cute accent, and I guess that helped :)

It started small. We would drive around Tulsa and I would count the churches. An amusing, but odd pastime to a woman who had never questioned such things. Then I would ask her when driving around some of the poorer neighbourhoods, why the only buildings with decent roofs were the churches? When the local housing was in disrepair, the church not only had a new roof, but a folded metal roof that costs about four times the price of shingles. I mean ... couldn't they have used shingles on the church, and spent the savings repairing the roofs of some parishioners?

There were many other straws in the wind of our conversations, but questions like this, just asked out of curiosity were the start. In reality, I was learning too. I was new here, and America is not the UK. The UK and the US does have a closeness, but it's misleading and I was keen to learn. I was, and am, mindful of the old adage "Britain and America are two countries separated by a common language". In many respects there is very little about life here that reminds me of life back home. So criticism was out, and questioning helped me understand. As a little aside, by the way, Europeans, generally, have no concept of, or understanding of, life and attitudes in the USA, even though we think we do.

At the time this all was happening, Mrs Twigg changed from being a stay-at- home Mom, to a High School Teacher in Special Ed. So it was a busy time.

As our conversations meandered, and time moved along, there was a change. My wife began to ask the questions. She said that I was the first person she had ever met who challenges "those truths we hold to be self-evident", at least from her perspective and upbringing. She was curious, and sometimes it was hard to talk without one or the other becoming upset. This wasn't, for her, a new cake recipe, it was a new life and philosophy on living. Sometimes I was frustrated, often she groped desperately to understand, but we love each other, and we made progress together.

It is useful for us both to remember that, whatever our nationalities, and social or political backgrounds, in the end we all want pretty much the same thing. We want to be safe, we want to be happy. We want to raise our kids, put them through college and live long enough to enjoy the fruits of our efforts; and we would like our kids to improve on that.

Whether we are English or American, French German, Israeli, Palestinian , Black, Whites or Native American. None of that matters, the bulk of our populations, the workers, the middle classes, the wealth creators and builders .... We all want pretty much the same thing. And that is such a fundamental truth that, as I chat with my wife we always have the basic principles to rely on, to keep us grounded.

It also helped her to start questioning those who apparently want something different. That small band of men and women who do not seek to further the ambitions of the people, but work to serve only the interests of a much smaller group of self-interest.

In Oklahoma, as in other places, you don't have to look very far, or very deeply to find examples. Find them she did. She found them in politicians, in Pastors, in schools and in our neighbourhood. She found them in her family.

Mrs Twigg recently changed her Party Affiliation to "Democratic Party". She voted straight ticket Dem last go around, and I drove her to the Poll, as I had driven her to previous Polls where I knew she would vote "Republican". I drove her with equal enthusiasm all times .... because it is her right to vote her conscience, and my job to support her.

But I have to tell you, the last drive was the happiest. Made all the sweeter by meeting the attorney who had handled her divorce when we went to the local Dem Campaign Office to collect our Obama/Biden yard signs :)

Even here .... even in Tulsa change happens. If my wife and I have learned anything it is that change can happen. It may not be fast, and there are setbacks along the way, but if people are exposed to real ideas, real solutions and can see real benefits then they will not go back. Once you effect this kind of change it does not flip at the next election cycle.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/3/26/851092/-I-married-a-Republican

my only response is cry my a river. equal opportunity for success was never meant to mean equal outcomes. as a practicing pagan i laugh at anyone stupid enough to pay money to learn about god, not pity them when they finally realize what the tithes are actually spent on. what is it they say about a fool and their money? same goes for belonging to a political party, its just code word for church.

Filed: Other Timeline

Wonderful story. The moment people who've been voting along party lines, just because, because they always have, open their eyes and try to see and to understand and once they realize the difference between "people first" and "corporate interest" first, the evil cycle can be broken.

People put up with ####### because they don't know any better. In Denmark, just to name one example as I lived there for many years, health care cost $0 and a top notch university education cost $0 as well. Try to sell those people health insurance plans for $20,000 a year and a 4-year college tuition for $100,000 and see how many votes you get.

The same will happen here, slowly, but eventually it will happen. Of course, Denmark doesn't spend billions on warfare as they don't have corporations like Haliburton that constantly need to be fed with taxpayers' money. And they don't have "enemies" we have, because they don't invade other nations.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Whether we are English or American, French German, Israeli, Palestinian , Black, Whites or Native American. None of that matters, the bulk of our populations, the workers, the middle classes, the wealth creators and builders .... We all want pretty much the same thing.

Not all of us. Some of us strive for success and excellence and financial

freedom, while others are content working 9-5 jobs earning an average

paycheck and spending all their time with their family.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Wonderful story. The moment people who've been voting along party lines, just because, because they always have, open their eyes and try to see and to understand and once they realize the difference between "people first" and "corporate interest" first, the evil cycle can be broken.

People put up with ####### because they don't know any better. In Denmark, just to name one example as I lived there for many years, health care cost $0 and a top notch university education cost $0 as well. Try to sell those people health insurance plans for $20,000 a year and a 4-year college tuition for $100,000 and see how many votes you get.

The same will happen here, slowly, but eventually it will happen. Of course, Denmark doesn't spend billions on warfare as they don't have corporations like Haliburton that constantly need to be fed with taxpayers' money. And they don't have "enemies" we have, because they don't invade other nations.

my question is how much good to they do for the rest of society, or for themselves even, with their perfect health and education all paid for by people who actually produce some good or service.

typical lib non-sense, vote for the people promising the most handout on the backs of people born with an ambition to provide for their own needs instead of beg that other provide for them

Edited by Dan T

Filed: Timeline

My interpretation of the story is that Mrs. Twigg still hasn't learned to think for herself and still is voting along party lines. She just has someone else whispering in her ear.

:lol: this is likely closer to the truth than many realize.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

My interpretation of the story is that Mrs. Twigg still hasn't learned to think for herself and still is voting along party lines. She just has someone else whispering in her ear.

amen my brother, amen. churches take your money to tell you what god to worship and political parties take your money to tell you which candidate to worship, same animal different name.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I love personal stories like this.

It hurts me much, to think, that someone could make a generalization out of this person's story, though.

Is there a parable in there, somewhere? ;)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I love personal stories like this.

It hurts me much, to think, that someone could make a generalization out of this person's story, though.

Is there a parable in there, somewhere? ;)

i also love stories of sheep in need of a sheaphard disguised as humans being led to the wolf pack. makes for great tv.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

voting along party lines .. then switching to vote along another party line is change all right ... :lol:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
:lol:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Hmm...the guy kinda sounds like a #######.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Health care does not cost $0 and neither does any university education. Just because the payment path for things becomes convoluted and full of middlemen doesn't make things free. As people become divorced from the real cost and value of things, progress is not being made.

Look at public schools. A huge percentage of students treat it like a joke and don't value the education they are getting. Yet in reality, we spend directly almost $11,000 per year per student on public schools. The numbers are higher if you consider the overhead of getting the money there.