Waitinggent

English Teacher Needed

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I live in the suburban Detroit area (specifically - Troy, Michigan). Does anyone know of a teacher in this area who would be interested in being hired to help my wife improve her English? Or if anyone can recommend a good English class, or give me a suggestion on how to find a good place for a Russian who is very serious about improving her English, that would be appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Your best bet is to enroll her in your local ESL classes. They are free.

In addition, I would recommend a tutor. If you have Skype, she can do it over the computer.

If you have Skype, and are interested in this, I would be happy to recommend someone for you. She is very good (my Iryna says she is wonderful), and she lives in Ukraine. It's only $10 per 1-hour Skype lesson, and she accepts credit cards via PayPal.

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

LOL sorry to jump on the RUB forum, but I'm familiar with that area. I think you are pretty close to OCC - Oakland Community College, and a lot of people recommend community college classes for ESL. Also, many Detroit-area Michigan cities offer classes in their continuing education programs. Troy apparently has frequent class offerings: http://niles.troy.k12.mi.us/adultenrichment.html

It says they offer ESL, and sometimes it is free. This is the winter catalogue: http://niles.troy.k12.mi.us/docs/10%20winter%20brochure.pdf

You could also check the classified onlines at mlive.com or I think I also used to check online for the Detroit News, although I haven't had much luck with that. I would go with Community College or the city program.

Good luck!

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A local Community College is a good place to look. Most will have ESL classes. Also, try Googling "ESL <your town>"

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I live in the suburban Detroit area (specifically - Troy, Michigan). Does anyone know of a teacher in this area who would be interested in being hired to help my wife improve her English? Or if anyone can recommend a good English class, or give me a suggestion on how to find a good place for a Russian who is very serious about improving her English, that would be appreciated.

They still speak English in Detroit? Kidding.

There should be local adult education "English as Second Language" classes available, usually free or very low cost to get her started and they are really pretty good. Alla is teaching two of the classes now as part of her "student teaching" requirement for a her teaching certificate. In our area there are several offered by local organizations, even one that has two classes per week at the library. Check with a local university linguistics department and I bet they will be aware of all the local classes.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

A local Community College is a good place to look. Most will have ESL classes. Also, try Googling "ESL <your town>"

:thumbs:

Two of the three classes Alla student teaches are at a community college, the other is through a refugee organization. The class will be mixed with many native languges represented. Alla's classes have at least a few Russian speaking students.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

That sounds great. I would appreciate the recommendation. Thanks!!!

Your best bet is to enroll her in your local ESL classes. They are free.

In addition, I would recommend a tutor. If you have Skype, she can do it over the computer.

If you have Skype, and are interested in this, I would be happy to recommend someone for you. She is very good (my Iryna says she is wonderful), and she lives in Ukraine. It's only $10 per 1-hour Skype lesson, and she accepts credit cards via PayPal.

You could also try posting an add on Craigslist.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

You could also try posting an add on Craigslist.

Yes, "Wanted, English tutor for my young and beautiful Russian wife." Not those exact words, but you get my point.

We really gotta think twice when using CL and putting ourselves out there.

:no:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

http://auburn-hills.lib.mi.us/Adult/esl.htm

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I think this question really depends on level. Free ESL classes provided by the community at libraries, etc. are a good starting place. However, if someone can already converse somewhat and wants help improving grammar, writing, vocabulary, spelling, and fluency, I think you will find free ESL classes not to be the best use of time, even if they are free. That is what we found to be the case. Marina, although her English is not perfect, found that there was really little she could learn in these classes. They can be good for improving conversational skills, but for improving conversation, I would recommend seeking conversational opportunities outside of a formal class setting.

We ended up enrolling her in a formal ESL class for credit at the local community college. It does cost some money, but it really gets the job done a lot better than anything we were able to find for free. On the other hand, the teacher is on the level of an American public school teacher, and I'm occasionally surprised at some of the mistakes Marina reports and the erroneous corrections she makes to some of Marina's essays. ("Everyone could meet his or her parents." in Marina's essay was corrected to "Everybody could meet their parents.")

The Skype offer sounds like a fine idea.

Timeline

I think this question really depends on level. Free ESL classes provided by the community at libraries, etc. are a good starting place. However, if someone can already converse somewhat and wants help improving grammar, writing, vocabulary, spelling, and fluency, I think you will find free ESL classes not to be the best use of time, even if they are free. That is what we found to be the case. Marina, although her English is not perfect, found that there was really little she could learn in these classes. They can be good for improving conversational skills, but for improving conversation, I would recommend seeking conversational opportunities outside of a formal class setting.

We ended up enrolling her in a formal ESL class for credit at the local community college. It does cost some money, but it really gets the job done a lot better than anything we were able to find for free. On the other hand, the teacher is on the level of an American public school teacher, and I'm occasionally surprised at some of the mistakes Marina reports and the erroneous corrections she makes to some of Marina's essays. ("Everyone could meet his or her parents." in Marina's essay was corrected to "Everybody could meet their parents.")

What you say is true to a point. I guess you could say "it depends". Our local ESL (free) classes offer 5 levels, the 5th level being fairly advanced. If you can get passed the 5th level of our local ESL then you can pass the TOEFL exam and don't need ESL classes at all. Just go on to regular English 101 at the college level. Our local community college offers some more advanced TOEFL preparation course which are free except for book fees, so it will depend somewhat on the courses offered locally.

If her level is above the usual ESL classes offered then they should consider more advanced classes. Usually the ESL classes offer assessment exams. Alla is currently teaching 3 levels of ESL. Level one is alphabet, "my name is", and very basic English. Level 3 is conversational but not too conversational and level 5 is actually pretty darn good, functional English. Not technical level but definitely normal life function level.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Another thing Alla did right away was to volunteer for a local hospital thrift shop. This gave her practical experience in dealing with the public, conversational opportunities, etc. She does not need a green card or EAD to volunteer and even with limited English, these kinds of places NEED volunteers, they don't turn people away usually. She also, alter, took a "small job" working in a women's clothing store at the mall for the same reason. As her class schedule became more intense she quit working a regular job, but it was good experience.

Gary And Alla

I agree with Gary. I your SO tries the free ESL classes then find out if she is learning anything or is just bored. The classes you pay for are more advanced and likely to give a much better level of English learning. The lower level ESL classes are designed for those with no English ability or little classroom experiences. If your lady is looking just to improve her conversational ability, then keep her surrounded by your English only speaking friends and ask for their help in improving her pronunciation and understanding. But by far the best is the highest level ESL until she/he is able to enter a regular English grammar class. My Lena took the top two levels after her arrival and was disappointed that the classes didn't progress much during the semester. She actually learned more from me but I don't try to talk down to her. I speak just as I would to business associates but with a more calm method so that she will understand and learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.