DarlayJesus

Murders outside consulate Juarez

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

In shock regarding Americans murdered outside of US consulate office in Juarez, Mexico.

This is the ONLY consulate in Mexico that processes K-3's, which means my husband and I will HAVE to go there....

Why would US continue to have an operating consulate in the murder capitol of the world?

How can the US require me to put myself and my family in danger to complete my petition?

El2pm7.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:( I think these are really good questions and your concerns are valid . The situation there is dangerous and has been for a while. These murders strike very close to home for those who are going through immigration from Mexico. I don't know if there is much you can do but you may find some benefit in writing to your Senator or Congressman and asking them these questions. Perhaps if enough elected representatives raise the issue something constructive can be done, such as relocating immigration petitions to another, safer location. I hope your family remains safe and it won't be long before you are all together safely in the US.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

In shock regarding Americans murdered outside of US consulate office in Juarez, Mexico.

This is the ONLY consulate in Mexico that processes K-3's, which means my husband and I will HAVE to go there....

Why would US continue to have an operating consulate in the murder capitol of the world?

How can the US require me to put myself and my family in danger to complete my petition?

I completely agree with you and also in shock when I was reading the details of the 2 incidents that happened. Juarez also is the only location in Mexico that will process a K-1 visa. I just don't understand why it can not be the same as getting a tourist visa, you go to the location closest to where you live. My fiance lives in Cancun, so you can't get any further away. I plan on going to the interview with him and needless to say my family was already worried about us going there but after this weekend they do not want me to go. I wish I knew where to voice our concerns as I know we are not the only ones feeling this way. Also makes me wonder if Juarez is the only location to scare people away from applying!

Edited by jtdr2716

12-28-09 Sent I-29F
12-29-09 VSC received I-29F
01-06-10 NOA1 hardcopy received
03-16-10 NOA2 email
05-18-10 Interview-Approved!
05-20-10 K-1 Visa received-entered US
06-04-10-Married

Adjustment of Status
06-17-10 Sent AOS & EAD
06-18-10 AOS & EAD received at Chicago lockbox
06-23-10 NOA Email & Text received
06-24-10 Check cashed
06-26-10 NOA Hardcopies received
06-28-10 Touched
07-06-10 Biometrics letter-appointment 7-26-10
07-07-10 Walk-in Biometrics successful
07-16-10 EAD Touch, AOS RFE sent ) :
07-19-10 RFE letter received for tax transcript /AOS & EAD touch
07-22-10 text RFE received
07-23-10 AOS touch
08-05-10 AOS transferred to CSC
08-06-10 AOS touch
08-07-10 AOS & EAD touch
08-12-10 case resumed at CSC
08-19-10 EAD card production ordered
08-20-10 text EAD approved-EAD touch
08-23-10 AOS touch
08-24-10 AOS touch
08-25-10 2nd notice EAD card ordered
08-28-10 EAD card received
09-21-10 GC Production ordered
09-27-10 GC and Welcome letter received

N400

1-6-2016-sent N400 express 1 day mail

1-7-2016- received at Texas lockbox and signed by K Coltrin

1-12-2016-check cashed

I agree 100% .. My wife and I are currently waiting for her interview date for her K3 visa and honestly I am terrified of going to the Consulate. Any suggestions that anyone has for the trip to Juarez would be greatly appreciated. We were hoping to cross the border into El Paso and then fly to Salt Lake, but after seeing where those murders took place right by the bridge I am considering flying from Ciudad Juarez even though the tickets are 3 times as much. We are both really just worried.

I don't know if this is any consolation, but it is most likely that you will be forced to puruse the CR1 visa since if the I-129Fs and I-130s are received together at the NVC after 02/01/10, the I-129F (K3) will be closed. Are there other places in Mexico that do CR1 interviews? I sure hope so, that is so scary to think about!

Keep safe, dbarker (F)

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Timeline

For what it is worth I sent emails this morning to my senator, congressman, the uscis and the secretary of travel. I don't expect any immediate changes but maybe it will help others in the future.

12-28-09 Sent I-29F
03-16-10 NOA2 email
06-04-10-Married

Adjustment of Status
06-17-10 Sent AOS & EAD
06-24-10 Check cashed
06-28-10 Touched
07-23-10 AOS touch
08-06-10 AOS touch
08-07-10 AOS & EAD touch
08-23-10 AOS touch
08-24-10 AOS touch

N400

1-12-2016-check cashed

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

First, you are not on a K3 visa path. K3 is dead. Your I-130 will take you down the CR1 visa path.

Only the beneficiary is required to go to Juarez

Because the Consular staff can live in the USA (El Paso, TX) and commute to work every day.

You may choose not to immigrate to the USA. Nobody is requiring you to do so. There are lots of things people find inconvenient, distasteful and even dangerous during the US immigration process all over the world. For example, my wife and daughter live relatively close to the only US Consulate in all of China, that processes family based visas. It was only a 14 hour overnight train ride followed by negotiating the maze of pick-pockets and other scum at the Guangzhou East train station. For some in China it's three full days or more on the train and they need to stay in GUZ for a week or ten days.

It sounds like you are well informed about what's ahead and you have months to make the needed preparations and arrange for any precautions. I suggest you use your energy to that end as the circumstances will not change.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Dangerous Cities

There are dangerous cities all over the world. Embassies are there to protect American citizens and give aid to Americans in foreign countries as well as processing Visas. I know we are all a little one sighteded when it comes to these places because most of us here just consider whether or not these employees in these countries will let our loved ones come home to us. These places are necessary to do as much as possible to try and ensure the safety of Americans in other countries.

I can understand completely why you are nervous and scared now, but the Embassy didn't do this. Some psycho did it, or worse a group of psychos did it. I agree it is not a great decision to go running off into an area after something like this has happened (and the travel warnings have been issued for that area), but you make a choice to live with the fear of walking out your front door in the morning, or doing what you need/want to do to have your loved one here.

The only place you had listed as a location is Phoenix. The link aboce has Phoenix listed as one of the top 10 most deadly cities in 2003, and different bits of other information I found about it gave it pretty bad ratings too. Danger is everywhere, Pine Bluff is in Arkansas and it is listed in the link above. I just noticed Little Rock is on there too and I go to Little Rock EVERY DAY. I've been there and I am still breathing. Control your fear, don't let it control you...and if you're still really freaked out hire a body guard for the day. The peace of mind might make it worth it.

Edited by Rob and Jill

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

To the OP: I wrote to my Senator this morning as Kathryn mentioned, and I suggest you do too. Hopefully it will have some effect.

The Ciudad Juarez embassy is the only immigrant visa post in Mexico. There are many other more desireable cities as I have mentioned before in various other posts. Mexico City would be ideal, as Mexico is a centralized country. Ciudad Juarez ranks among the most dangerous cities in the world and according to the news yesterday, is the largest US embassy in the world. Not only were 3 family members of consulate workers (including 1 consulate worker) killed close to the consulate, but there have been shootings mentioned at the Denny's and other restaurants on the same street in broad daylight. I live in Mexico, and the rest of the country has violence, but nothing compared to that. ANY other city would be preferrible to Juarez.

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Timeline

To the OP: I wrote to my Senator this morning as Kathryn mentioned, and I suggest you do too. Hopefully it will have some effect.

The Ciudad Juarez embassy is the only immigrant visa post in Mexico. There are many other more desireable cities as I have mentioned before in various other posts. Mexico City would be ideal, as Mexico is a centralized country. Ciudad Juarez ranks among the most dangerous cities in the world and according to the news yesterday, is the largest US embassy in the world. Not only were 3 family members of consulate workers (including 1 consulate worker) killed close to the consulate, but there have been shootings mentioned at the Denny's and other restaurants on the same street in broad daylight. I live in Mexico, and the rest of the country has violence, but nothing compared to that. ANY other city would be preferrible to Juarez.

Juarez has a Consulate. The only Embassy is in Mexico City. To conduct interviews for family based visas, requires a fully staffed Immigrant Visa unit and established relationships with panel physicians be in place. Effecting such a change even after the long process of deciding to do so would take quite some time. Anybody in process now needs to make preparations to complete their visa process in Juarez or abandon it for a long time.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Pushbrk, you are being quite rude. Nobody said they were not going to Juarez. Our loved ones are all going to put their lives in danger and walk across a street where people get shot on a daily basis and where the US tells its own citizens it is not safe to be. We all know what it takes to put together an Immigrant Visa section, and the US should long ago have moved that part from Ciudad Juarez instead of just recently building a new "consulate." If you don't have anything helpful to say besides flippant comments about not having to come to the US, you should not post. Next time I'm going to report you.

I quote the TOS: you agree that when using the service you will not: Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Timeline

Pushbrk, you are being quite rude. Nobody said they were not going to Juarez. Our loved ones are all going to put their lives in danger and walk across a street where people get shot on a daily basis and where the US tells its own citizens it is not safe to be. We all know what it takes to put together an Immigrant Visa section, and the US should long ago have moved that part from Ciudad Juarez instead of just recently building a new "consulate." If you don't have anything helpful to say besides flippant comments about not having to come to the US, you should not post. Next time I'm going to report you.

I quote the TOS: you agree that when using the service you will not: Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.

There is no TOS violation or anything even close in my post. It's not argumentative in the least. It is an explanation of the facts posted to assist any reader with interest in setting appropriate expectations. Your reply, on the other hand is off-topic and inappropriate as well as designed to upset, antagonize and instigate and argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by others. As such your post, IMO, IS in violation of the TOS.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Lia thanks for responding as I could not have said it better myself.

Pushbrk making your concerns heard is the only way change will take place. I wrote my senator and congressman to question why when there are plenty of other consulates is this the ONLY one we have the option to go to. I will be going with my fiance' to his interview in Juarez as I am aware there will not be a change anytime soon, but would love to see a change in the future for others that will have to go through the same process.

12-28-09 Sent I-29F
03-16-10 NOA2 email
06-04-10-Married

Adjustment of Status
06-17-10 Sent AOS & EAD
06-24-10 Check cashed
06-28-10 Touched
07-23-10 AOS touch
08-06-10 AOS touch
08-07-10 AOS & EAD touch
08-23-10 AOS touch
08-24-10 AOS touch

N400

1-12-2016-check cashed

Timeline

Lia thanks for responding as I could not have said it better myself.

Pushbrk making your concerns heard is the only way change will take place. I wrote my senator and congressman to question why when there are plenty of other consulates is this the ONLY one we have the option to go to. I will be going with my fiance' to his interview in Juarez as I am aware there will not be a change anytime soon, but would love to see a change in the future for others that will have to go through the same process.

I have not criticized you for making your concerns known. I'm advising you that doing so will have no impact on your own case and have explained why. Beyond that, you're preaching to the choir.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Without denigrating anyone else, I agree with pushbrk's evaluation of this little tiff. Furthermore, it has become known today (see reliable newspapers) that the assassinations "near" the consulate (really near the POE) of the consular employee and her husband were almost certainly mistaken identity, due to similarity between cars. Americans are typically NOT targets of the cartel assassinations, certainly not in the tourist areas during daylight.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.