cle_w2000

Question about arrest record when I don't have one

17 posts in this topic

This could be a stupid question.

I am scheduled for an interview on April 12. And today I received the yellow letter from USCIS telling me that "You indicated in your application that you have been arrested. For these arrests and any other incidents in which you may have been involved, bring originals or certified copies of all arrest records and court dispositions showing how each incident was resolved"

The thing is, I have never been arrested. I had a parking ticket and a speeding ticket. And somewhere on this board, I read that I need to report those on N400 forms. So I don't have any arrest records. I can find the print outs of the checks that I used to pay for both tickets, but I could not find the original copy of these tickets. What's the best way to resolve this situation?

Thanks. Any inputs would be much appreciated.

Besides, I thought you don't need to include any evidence for fines lower than 500 dollars. I indicated both cases that the fines were below 500 dollars.

I am scheduled for an interview on April 12. And today I received the yellow letter from USCIS telling me that "You indicated in your application that you have been arrested. For these arrests and any other incidents in which you may have been involved, bring originals or certified copies of all arrest records and court dispositions showing how each incident was resolved"

The thing is, I have never been arrested. I had a parking ticket and a speeding ticket. And somewhere on this board, I read that I need to report those on N400 forms. So I don't have any arrest records. I can find the print outs of the checks that I used to pay for both tickets, but I could not find the original copy of these tickets. What's the best way to resolve this situation?

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Cle_w2000,

Lol..No questions are stupid...So to answer your question:

I posted this last year on another VJ message thread for someone else, but I thought it could help you here too...

Good too, that you were honest about the traffic ticket and disclosed of such, as they are going to find out anyways, and you might as well tell such now. In terms of how to get more info about that, if I were you, I would go to your local courthouse and/or police station, to see if they have documents regarding such, and that you paid such, and is not on your record. Don't worry, a lot of people get traffic tickets, so no big deal there, and I don't think that would affect your case, as long as you disclose of it. Just tell the truth when asked about it, and you should be ok there.

Hope this helps too. Good luck on your journey.

Ant

P.S. You might want to change/update your current profile status to: Naturalization (pending) instead of Removal of Conditions

Besides, I thought you don't need to include any evidence for fines lower than 500 dollars. I indicated both cases that the fines were below 500 dollars.

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hi Cle_w2000,

Lol..No questions are stupid...So to answer your question:

I posted this last year on another VJ message thread for someone else, but I thought it could help you here too...

Good too, that you were honest about the traffic ticket and disclosed of such, as they are going to find out anyways, and you might as well tell such now. In terms of how to get more info about that, if I were you, I would go to your local courthouse and/or police station, to see if they have documents regarding such, and that you paid such, and is not on your record. Don't worry, a lot of people get traffic tickets, so no big deal there, and I don't think that would affect your case, as long as you disclose of it. Just tell the truth when asked about it, and you should be ok there.

Hope this helps too. Good luck on your journey.

Ant

P.S. You might want to change/update your current profile status to: Naturalization (pending) instead of Removal of Conditions

I don't know if this will help, but I wonder if you call them or schedule an infopass and see if they can provide you with details on the arrest record they see, and then as Ant suggested you provide a record from your courthouse or local police showing a "clean bill of health".... aside from the traffic tickets.

Good luck!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

You can get a copy of the tickets from the courthouse and bring them with you to the interview.

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hogwash. Let me say that again: Hogwash!

If you didn't tell 'em you had been arrested, it's a clerical error on their part. All you have to do is tell them at the interview and that's the end of the story. No need trying to get arrested now in order to comply.

And, yes, or no, nobody gives a rat's behind about the fact that you got a parking ticket and a speeding ticket shortly after Dinosaurs roamed the Earth. What they want to know before declaring you a US citizen is if you eat little children for breakfast or chop up old Ladies.

You need to relax, Dude. I mean, really.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello,

To my great amusement I received the same letter shortly after my biometrics appointment. For a moment I even considered xeroxing and framing the thing.

The way I understand it, answering yes to any question of the section about arrests and citations triggers the yellow letter ;)

Just like you, I disclosed a speeding ticket with a fine of $210. I did not submit any evidence for this with my application as the guidelines state clearly that any traffic violations under $500 do not need to be "proven".

However, the issue came up during my interview and I was glad that I had brought a copy of the ticket as well as the check I had written to pay the fine. The officer took a copy of both "documents" and that was the end of it.

As the previous posters stated- just relax... you will be fine.

Wishing you smooth sailing for the rest of your journey,

Rebecca

Edited by shadowboxer

N-400 (based on 5 years of Permanent Residence)

11/2/09 mailed application to Lewisville TX Lockbox,11/3/09 received by USCIS, 11/9/09 received NOA, 12/2/09 Biometrics, 1/13/10 Interview done- now waiting for oath letter, 3/8/10 received oath letter, 3/29/10 OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did you check off that you had been arrested? Or did you just make reference to the fact that you had been fined for the speeding tickets? Although you don't need evidence of traffic related offenses, in this case you might just want to bring copies of the tickets and your cancelled cheques just so you don't get delayed by someone becoming overly officious or nit-picky and asking for them as proof that you were not arrested.

If you did check off that you had been arrested, then you need to explain in the interview that you weren't arrested but you were being very honest and declared your two traffic offenses, and that you have the evidence of those with you if they wish to see them. Since your biometrics check will come back showing you have no criminal offenses you should be fine.

If you didn't check off the yes box to that question, then then bring your copy of your application (I hope you made one) with you to show that you didn't check 'yes' there. In that case, it is as JustBob stated - a clerical error on their part and won't be a problem.

It is better to be safe than sorry so don't worry about disclosing the traffic violations. I had an old 'windsurfing without a life-jacket' offense from 1988 and the way the application is worded I needed to disclose it - again - plus include documentation. At the interview, the IO looked at the report, smiled and just moved past it. So, once you explain the mix-up about the 'arrest' check mark on your form, you should be fine.

Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I had an old 'windsurfing without a life-jacket' offense from 1988

Instant grounds for denial, surely :D That's got to be the best 'offense' I've ever seen!

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

I think you will get an automatic yellow letter if you answer yes to any of the questions. I received a letter like that, and on the day of the interview I explained the issue to the officer, and she said not to worry about it. She even did not ask me for any supporting documents. Now I am waiting for my oath letter.

To be on the safe side take proof of payment, and copy of the tickets from the court.

Good luck

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I received the same letter today ( yellow letter ) and it said same thing as yours ,and me too i disclosed the 2 speeding ticket i got on the form . but i do have a copy of originals ticket and proof that i paid them .

February 01, 2010 Filed N-400 Citizenship.

February 08, 2010 Check Cashed.

February 10, 2010 NOA.

February 17, 2010 RFE Email.

February 22, 2010 Biometric Letter Received.

March 03, 2010 Biometric done.

March 13, 2010 Yellow Letter Received.

March 23, 2010 Email ( case transferred to local office for interview.

March 25, 2010 Interview Letter Arrived.

April 29, 2010 Interview (Rescheduled)

May 24, 2010 Interview (Passed)

June 17, 2010 Oath Letter Received

July 14, 2010 Oath Date ...........

July 14, 2010 DONE

Yes i understand that it is not a bid deal. :)

Just that I did not bother to keep an original ticket for my record when i had to mail in the ticket.

I will try to go to RMV and try to get a record from them. Was able to print out a copy of the check though.

Hello,

To my great amusement I received the same letter shortly after my biometrics appointment. For a moment I even considered xeroxing and framing the thing.

The way I understand it, answering yes to any question of the section about arrests and citations triggers the yellow letter ;)

Just like you, I disclosed a speeding ticket with a fine of $210. I did not submit any evidence for this with my application as the guidelines state clearly that any traffic violations under $500 do not need to be "proven".

However, the issue came up during my interview and I was glad that I had brought a copy of the ticket as well as the check I had written to pay the fine. The officer took a copy of both "documents" and that was the end of it.

As the previous posters stated- just relax... you will be fine.

Wishing you smooth sailing for the rest of your journey,

Rebecca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Bring a copy of your speeding ticket with you. I had nothing on my record but I still had to go get my record from the DMV. Everything can be done in a matter of minutes. As for the "you indicated you've been arrested" part, don't sweat about it. Just take the copy of the speeding ticket and the driving record and explain the situation at the moment you have the face to face interview with the officer. He/she will correct the issue.

Edited by ziia

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

I see. So I can get a copy from DMV of the ticket? I did not keep a copy of it.

It seems to work differently in MA, since I do not go to court for a traffic ticket.

Bring a copy of your speeding ticket with you. I had nothing on my record but I still had to go get my record from the DMV. Everything can be done in a matter of minutes. As for the "you indicated you've been arrested" part, don't sweat about it. Just take the copy of the speeding ticket and the driving record and explain the situation at the moment you have the face to face interview with the officer. He/she will correct the issue.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I see. So I can get a copy from DMV of the ticket? I did not keep a copy of it.

It seems to work differently in MA, since I do not go to court for a traffic ticket.

You can obtain a copy of your driving record from the DMV but my guess is that copies of speeding tickets you'd get from the police department that issued the ticket. If you don't know what department, you can try the courthouse in the county or city in which you received the ticket and the clerk on duty can guide you from there to find out what police department issued it. From what I know this is pretty standard no matter of state.

Edited by ziia

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update. I did go to DMV to ask for a printout of the ticket. Also I had a copy of the check to pay for the fine. I did not bother with the parking ticket.

Today during my interview, the IO just confirmed that there was no arrest and I just had to mail in an administrative fine to pay for the ticket and that was the end of it. He did not ask to see any proofs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.