Nina~

Canadians Fight Back

35 posts in this topic

Canada Parliament eats seal to defy "ignorant" EU

By David Ljunggren – Wed Mar 10, 3:35 pm ET

OTTAWA (Reuters) – Canadian parliamentarians tucked into a meal of seal meat on Wednesday to defy both animal right activists and the European Union, which has banned imports of seal products.

Some two dozen guests, surrounded on all sides by media, crammed into a small room off the main parliamentary restaurant to hear speeches backing the annual hunt off Canada's East Coast, which the EU says is inhumane.

"This support begins on the plates of Canadians," said federal Fisheries Minister Gail Shea as she prepared to eat three small medallions of double-smoked bacon-wrapped seal loin in a port reduction.

The EU imposed its ban last year after a decades-long fight by what Shea called "misguided and mean-spirited" anti-seal-hunt activists. The seals are either shot or hit over the head with a spiked club called a hakapik, which critics say is cruel.

All of Canada's major political parties say they are in favour of the hunt, which takes place on ice floes in March and April.

"The Europeans simply don't know what they're talking about. Since time began human beings have lived with animals and they have culled animals," said Michael Ignatieff, leader of the main opposition Liberal Party.

He spoke at an earlier reception where waiters passed through the room carrying platters of seal terrine snacks. Ignatieff ate several for the benefit of photographers.

"It tastes delicious, actually. It's a meaty taste, a little gamy," he declared.

The meal was arranged by Liberal Senator Celine Hervieux-Payette, who said the hunt provided income for fishing communities in the Atlantic.

"We're sending a message to the European parliamentarians ... we want to say something so that opponents do not take to the floor with lies," she told reporters.

The EU ban has slashed demand for seal furs, meat and oil. Poor weather conditions and a lack of ice mean this year's hunt could be scrapped.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

lol, now that's an interesting thing to do.

Though, the poor seals!

To each his own on what they want to hunt, but that's one animal I couldn't personally go after....

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd rather eat his wife. :devil::devil::devil::devil:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh, Zsuzsanna, oh don't you cry for me...

(you wanna eat HER? really? :blink: )

:secret: I like the crazy ones.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Seal hunt is no different than deer hunt. Just because the baby seals are cute, the activist are besides themselves protesting.

Much ado about nothing.

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I remember a long while back when Paul McCartney was on Larry King with his peg leg wife (at the time) saying how they should stop the seal hunt in Canada.....

What a fking moron.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I remember a long while back when Paul McCartney was on Larry King with his peg leg wife (at the time) saying how they should stop the seal hunt in Canada.....

What a fking moron.

Hey now, don't disrespect Sir Paul. You can disagree with his views, but he's one of the greatest living legends of all time.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
You're the kind of John Birch Society loving nerd who thought Beatles music was too vulgar, so no surprise there. :rolleyes:

how typical ... i make a comment about paul mccartney ... and you make a school yard attempt to insult me. :wacko:

... guess pauls career didn't have the wings to be more than a beatle (btw: the beatles had more members than just paul)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
how typical ... i make a comment about paul mccartney ... and you make a school yard attempt to insult me. :wacko:

... guess pauls career didn't have the wings to be more than a beatle (btw: the beatles had more members than just paul)

If you throw sand in a sandbox, you're going to get sand in your mouth.

What, you can't respect Paul McCartney without agreeing with his views? John Lennon was even more radical than Paul. Which one fits into your John Birch Society standard of goodness?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
If you throw sand in a sandbox, you're going to get sand in your mouth.

What, you can't respect Paul McCartney without agreeing with his views? John Lennon was even more radical than Paul. Which one fits into your John Birch Society standard of goodness?

Come on my brothers, let's sing together:

"ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE! LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED!"