What is the faster visa?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What is faster: K1 or K3?

• K1
    • K3

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I am a USC and planning on getting married to my Peruvian fiancee as soon as possible. It doesn't really matter to us if we get married here in the US or in Peru, we just want the fastest and more secure option.

At the moment we are unsure if we should go for the K1 Fiancee visa or the K3 spouse visa. Basically we want to do this fast and we don't want to have our application denied.

Any thought and advice on this would be greatly appreciated :D

~Bela & Darwin~

P.S. We are good at doing all the forms, is a lawyer recommended ??

event.png

One look

One smile

One touch

One embrace

One kiss

One love

Two people

Two minds

Two souls

Two destinies

One road

One journey

One ending

Together

358272338v5_240x240_Front.jpg20821470_125x125.png

Well, there is no K-3 anymore...just CR-1/IR-1. For the month or 2 extra on average that a CR-1 takes, I feel it is worth it. With a K-1 you can file right now instead of having to wait a couple of months to make another trip to get married and wait on the marriage certificate. I dont know how the consulate is there as far as K-1 visas, but spouse visas are rarely denied. As long as you have all your documentation, either way is good. It just depends if you want to file right now, or wait a couple of months? Both ways end up costing about the same...actually I think the CR-1 is more because you have to make another trip to get married...and it depends on if you have a wedding or just civil.

As far as the forms...yes you can do it without a Lawyer. Just read the guides here and ask questions if you have them.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

your comparing apples to oranges. one is a Fiance visa the other is a spousal visa. the only commanality between the two is that neither gives work authorization upon arrival in the u.s.a.

HWDWm6.png

Besides the fact that the K-3 is in fact dead now, your comparison is like asking "Is an Orange sweeter than an Apple?" The answer depends... To me, it really comes down to

• Costs
  • Immediate plans (work, travel, etc) after entering the US

**Since the thread is a Poll am moving it from K-1 Proc. to General Polls.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
I am a USC and planning on getting married to my Peruvian fiancee as soon as possible. It doesn't really matter to us if we get married here in the US or in Peru, we just want the fastest and more secure option.

At the moment we are unsure if we should go for the K1 Fiancee visa or the K3 spouse visa. Basically we want to do this fast and we don't want to have our application denied.

Any thought and advice on this would be greatly appreciated :D

~Bela & Darwin~

P.S. We are good at doing all the forms, is a lawyer recommended ??

We went the K-1 route & got married in the US. I sent in the application in April of 2008 and Luis got the visa in Oct 2008. Check out my timeline. I didn't hire a lawyer I did everything myself. Good luck!

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Timeline

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I am gonna go with the K1 =) Hope all goes well

event.png

One look

One smile

One touch

One embrace

One kiss

One love

Two people

Two minds

Two souls

Two destinies

One road

One journey

One ending

Together

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I went the CR1 route. I am glad I choose this option. I think you have alot to think about when deciding where to get married. If money is a concern you may want to get married in Peru. It is by far cheaper to get married there. I also choose the CR1 because it allowed my husband to get a job, go to school, get his social security card, and drivers license as soon as he got to the United States. With the K1 you have to wait to do all those things. So if your fiancee want's to be able to work, drive, or go to school as soon as possible then the CR1 is the better option. We also don't have to deal with USCIS until it is time to file for his 10 year green card. (2 years from entry into the usa).

We did not use a lawyer. If you use this forum you should be able to do all of the paper work yourself.

create_maleScene.jpg

USCIS *CR-1 Visa*

2008-07-26 : I-130 Sent

2009-04-02 : Interview at Embassy in Lima, Peru Approved

2009-04-08 : POE Atlanta (256 days from sending I-130)

USCIS *Removal of Conditions*

2011-02-28 : Mailed I-751

2011-03-02 : USPS Delivery Confirmation

2011-03-10 : Check Cashed

2011-03-11 : Touched

2011-03-25 : USCIS confirmed they did not mail NOA 1, given case number

2011-04-05 : Infopass appointment passport stamped with I-551

2011-04-19 : Walk in Biometrics completed (2 weeks early)

2011-05-03 : Biometrics appointment (3 year anniversary)

2011-08-25 : Approved

2011-08-31 : Card in hand (184 days after sending I-751)

*Application for Naturalization*

2012-03-24 : Mailed N-400

2012-03-26 : NOA1

2012-03-29 : Check Cashed

2012-05-14 : Biometrics Appointment

2012-06-04 : Interview Letter

2012-07-09 : Interview in Raleigh, NC (Passed)

2012-07-20 : Oath Ceremony (119 days after sending N-400)

[/center]

Timeline
I went the CR1 route. I am glad I choose this option. I think you have alot to think about when deciding where to get married. If money is a concern you may want to get married in Peru. It is by far cheaper to get married there. I also choose the CR1 because it allowed my husband to get a job, go to school, get his social security card, and drivers license as soon as he got to the United States. With the K1 you have to wait to do all those things. So if your fiancee want's to be able to work, drive, or go to school as soon as possible then the CR1 is the better option. We also don't have to deal with USCIS until it is time to file for his 10 year green card. (2 years from entry into the usa).

We did not use a lawyer. If you use this forum you should be able to do all of the paper work yourself.

our main concern is whatever is the fastest, and we of course dont want to be denied. I read somewhere that he could request work authorization at border customs...is that right??

I doesnt really matter if we are getting married here or there, at the moment it will only be a civil wedding.

With the k1 how long after the wedding can he apply for SSN and work??

event.png

One look

One smile

One touch

One embrace

One kiss

One love

Two people

Two minds

Two souls

Two destinies

One road

One journey

One ending

Together

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
our main concern is whatever is the fastest, and we of course dont want to be denied. I read somewhere that he could request work authorization at border customs...is that right??

:guides: and a plethora of other posts on these subjects, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I doesn't really matter if we are getting married here or there, at the moment it will only be a civil wedding.

IMO the K1 is a flawed visa. Like you we wanted the fastest option. However if I were to do it again I would go CR1. Average wait to work is 3 months from filing AOS....so unless you plan on marrying immediately its about 4-7 months. K1 is also more expensive with more hoops to jump through.

All in all its a poor visa...if you have the option to marry outside the US quickly and file CR1....do it.

Edited by Sousuke

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
I doesnt really matter if we are getting married here or there, at the moment it will only be a civil wedding.

our process took less than 6 months, I think is the average time to k1 or CR1, and to get SSN and EAD could take 3 months.

my advice read the guidelines, when you submit follow the instructions very well to have not issues

We can all make a difference. Please recycle

por favor no escribas en mayúsculas sostenidas, eso equivale a GRITAR

crazy-cats.jpg