Chris M

Change of plans.... going to Russia. I need some help though.

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well my girlfriend found out her visitor's visa was denied for France/Paris. Long story short.... the French embassy called her to ask why she is going to Paris, then called her manager at work. the manager was not in the office when they called, so they never had a chance to talk to him, and a day later she was denied. we are in a little bit of shock, but are thinking, "What next?" So, I told her I would come see her in Russia. I have not problem visiting her in Kemerovo, Russia, but she said let's try Moscow. Moscow is fine too. the reason she said to try Moscow is so we can visit the US embassy if we decide we want to get engaged. however, I told her I do not think we can really do much in Moscow at the US embassy if we do decide to get married. Now I know we should get married here in the US for getting her here in good time, but is there anything we can really do at the US embassy? My impression is once I return from Russia the application process begins and visiting the US embassy in Moscow does not really help too much.

so the bottom line is if we go to Moscow is there anything we can really do at the embassy if we decide to get married? If there is nothing we can do at the embassy are there other cities that would be better to go to? I was thinking St Petersburg are there any others you all could think of? thanks for the help guys.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Things may change, but its really unlikely you can do anything with the embassy.

When the time came for the K1 or K3 petitions, I wasn't allowed to enter the embassy at all. I hung around at the coffee shop around the street. The US Embassy Moscow isn't the most customer-friendly place for a US Citizen, in my experience.

That said, both Moscow and St. Petersburg are great cities. We've had very nice times visiting both cities.

Be aware that both US Embassy Moscow and the US consultate in St. Petersburg like holidays a lot. They are closed for all legal US holidays and also for all Russian holidays. We visited St. Petersburg around New Years in 2007. The consultate was closed for two weeks, and we were unable to visit it.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I can't think of any reason getting engaged and being near the U.S. embassy would make a difference. In theory you don't even have to be officially engaged. I don't think the K-1 visa (fiance visa) even asks when or if you got engaged. Just the intent to get married after entering the US statements.

Personally I don't think where you get married makes any difference in visa processing time. We got married here in the states, while others got married in various places around the world and so far we're pretty much on par for time.

However, if you do get married in the US you can skip the visa process. There is a lot of legality issues here and honestly if you start poking around about the idea; a lot of people on this site will get offended.

In short: it's illegal to have the intent to immigrate on a non-immigration visa prior to traveling to the United States. It is legal to immigrate after arriving in the states, but you may have to prove your significant other did not have the intent to immigrate. And it's generally better to do this after 60 days; prior to that throws flags.

There is something called Direct Consular filing. Really I don't know much about it. I think the intent of direct filing is to provide a way for those living overseas to obtain a visa for their significant other. So while this is an option, I don't think it's one you can use. Of course I could be wrong, so have a read on it.

so the bottom line is if we go to Moscow is there anything we can really do at the embassy if we decide to get married? If there is nothing we can do at the embassy are there other cities that would be better to go to? I was thinking St Petersburg are there any others you all could think of? thanks for the help guys.

I would say no, there is nothing to do at the embassy if you get married. I would say go to St. Petersburg if you're going there in the summer. I hear it has a lot of nice architecture and things like that. Personally, I think Moscow is the New York of Russia.

If you can swing it though, go somewhere on the Black Sea. Everyone I talked to in/from Russia always talks about going there in the summer. I get the impression it's like our Hawaii or Florida. But it'll be a lot harder to get an international flight to that area; if there even are any.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I agree with both above... because your initial process/application is filed through a USCIS service center, not an embassy. It would only make a difference if you were getting married and that particular country required some kind of embassy-issued document, or were moving there, getting married, and filing DCF. Since you aren't intending that, it doesn't matter. :) You may like to go kind of check it out though, take a look around and get familiar with it if you suppose that is where she will end up eventually. I like to be prepared with these sorts of things. Good luck!

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Well my girlfriend found out her visitor's visa was denied for France/Paris. Long story short.... the French embassy called her to ask why she is going to Paris, then called her manager at work. the manager was not in the office when they called, so they never had a chance to talk to him, and a day later she was denied. we are in a little bit of shock, but are thinking, "What next?" So, I told her I would come see her in Russia. I have not problem visiting her in Kemerovo, Russia, but she said let's try Moscow. Moscow is fine too. the reason she said to try Moscow is so we can visit the US embassy if we decide we want to get engaged. however, I told her I do not think we can really do much in Moscow at the US embassy if we do decide to get married. Now I know we should get married here in the US for getting her here in good time, but is there anything we can really do at the US embassy? My impression is once I return from Russia the application process begins and visiting the US embassy in Moscow does not really help too much.

You, as the USC, can go to the US embassy in Moscow whenever you want. You cannot be denied entrance (unless you misbehave).

She, as the foreign citizen, cannot enter to the US embassy without a previous invitation.

EDIT: Go to St. Petersburg.

Edited by clueless_in_usa

You, as the USC, can go to the US embassy in Moscow whenever you want. You cannot be denied entrance (unless you misbehave).

She, as the foreign citizen, cannot enter to the US embassy without a previous invitation.

:thumbs:

--Moscow is the most expensive city in the world. (all that gansta money being tossed around)

--Go to St Pt's in June. See the "white nights" and watch the bridges go up and down.

--ps, get a jumping cow toy as souvenir you'll love it.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

You can't do anything at the embassy in Moscow at this point - don't let that be the determining factor in going there.

If you're not engaged yet, go wherever you'll be able to spend the most amount of time together getting to know each other better. Moscow is nice (but expensive) St. Pete is nice (but expensive) and getting to her hometown is going to be expensive, but probably pretty nice. There's always the option of going to Egypt or Turkey or another country where both of you can meet without a visa hassle.

No matter where you go, I suggest taking a few forms with you and having her bring a few forms as well. If you do get formally engaged (which, as said above, means absolutely nothing in this process) or you decide you would like to start the K-1 process, having the basic forms there for you to fill out while together (I-129F, G-325A, etc.) and also getting a copy of her forms (passport, birth/divorce/etc. certs) will speed up the K-1 process by several months. You could have everything done the day you get back and then drop it in the mail box. You don't have to fill it out 100%, but there are things on there you probably don't know like her mother's maiden name, her addresses, etc. - things she can fill out.

Also, don't forget wherever you go to take pictures of the two of you together. I like pictures in front of movie posters and/or concert billboards because they have dates on them. (Fills the "met in the last two years" requirements.) Some people say pictures of you with her family are good but I never had any of those. Russians have a special smile they use for photos so don't worry if the two of you don't look happy together - they all look like that. We joke about it here at my house as the "Russian smile." Photographic evidence of your meeting is probably one of the best pieces of "evidence" you can present for your case.

I don't know how well you know her yet or how much time you've spent together, but instead of spending all your money going out and then "getting to know each other better" while you're in, you may want to have serious talks about issues while in person. There's no substitute for seeing the look on her face when you tell her she has to get a full time job. Also, try to warn her of how expensive everything in America is. Many Russians think America is like Real Housewives where they're not going to do anything but meet their friends at Starbucks and spend your money all day.

Or just have sex all week and go to nice restaurants. That usually works too. - Don't forget the photos!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't think that is exactly correct. As I recall I was in the same situation as the OP several years ago just before I learned about VJ. We were in Moscow so we went to the embassy to ask those stupid questions that are covered very well here ...how do we get a Fiance visa, do we need a lawyer, etc. They allowed both of us to enter the embassy together. They guy I talked with (behind the plate glass window) was very nice and helpful but didn't give me much information other than tell me about the K-1 visa forms and assured me I did not need an attorney and I just needed to read the forms and fill them out and send them in.

Glad I found VJ!

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks very much for the information guys. I do have a small stack of documents for Tanya to sign when we meet. i did not think there was much we can do, but at least we can go scout out where the embassy is, so she will know when she comes back. that's fine. Like Juliana said, "be a little prepared."

Slim---- is there anything else you can think of besides copies of birth certificate, I-129F and G-325A ( I made multiple copies of these, so we can at least get her signature. there may be some mistakes, so I think the most important is her signature), passport copies and photos? Do any of the passport or birth certificate copies need to be notarized? anything else you can think of?

It looks like we will be going to Moscow in April. Tanya will already be there for work for a few days, so we thought we would kill two birds with one stone. It makes sense. I am very excited.

So let me ask you all, what is a good site or business to get a visitors visa? a friend of mine gave me one, but I also wanted to see what you all recommend. The one site I went to said they could take care of the "invitation" to get to Russia, which i imagine is required. I thought i needed a hotel reservation or something as well, but it seems as though this invitation will take care of that. Our dates are not set yet, and it depends on getting a hotel or an apartment too. any recommendations on a hotel or apartment in Moscow? Apartment would be better I think.

I was looking through the application on the one site, and it asked about any military service. I was in the Navy, but got out 6 years ago. Could this hurt my chances of getting a visa? I do not want to get denied for yet another visa, but I also want to tell the truth. any ideas here?

Is there anything else I should know about for the application process?

Thanks again folks.

Slim---- is there anything else you can think of besides copies of birth certificate, I-129F and G-325A ( I made multiple copies of these, so we can at least get her signature. there may be some mistakes, so I think the most important is her signature), passport copies and photos? Do any of the passport or birth certificate copies need to be notarized? anything else you can think of?

Check the guides section here on VJ and anything you think you can knock out while over there go ahead and do it. There's really not too much, and most of it you can do on your own, just make sure you get "her" stuff done while there. Copies do not need to be notarized however anything that's Russian will need a translation that is "certified" by someone who signs a statement to the effect of "I"m fluent in Russian and English." That can be her or it can be someone you pay $5 to and they make it look all official. Don't spend too much money getting any of this stuff done, it's a relatively simple process and it doesn't need to be overly complicated. Read the guide section for K-1 and follow the examples. Also, do a letter of intent and have her sign it or you can both sign it together or whatever. You can post-date it for when you return and get ready to send everything in. Don't get hung up on dates and "official" forms and all that. Follow the guide, check the items off the checklist and then send them in. Keep it simple!

So let me ask you all, what is a good site or business to get a visitors visa? a friend of mine gave me one, but I also wanted to see what you all recommend. The one site I went to said they could take care of the "invitation" to get to Russia, which i imagine is required. I thought i needed a hotel reservation or something as well, but it seems as though this invitation will take care of that. Our dates are not set yet, and it depends on getting a hotel or an apartment too. any recommendations on a hotel or apartment in Moscow? Apartment would be better I think.

Gotorussia, visatorussia, russianvisa, or any other visa services you google will do just fine. You basically send them $200 and they do the rest. You will get the visa. Russian visas aren't about anything but money. They're not concerned about you as an American overstaying or anything like that. Use one of those companies that has an office here in the U.S. and one in Moscow and they'll take care of everything. The one I used had an office in Moscow and they registered my visa once I was there too.

As for hotel vs. apartment - apts. are probably the better value depending on how long you stay. Hotels are very nice but everything in Moscow, hotels and apartments, is very expensive. Search around, find a good deal, and then go. Apt. is going to be $1,000/wk. or so. Hotel maybe just a bit more.

I was looking through the application on the one site, and it asked about any military service. I was in the Navy, but got out 6 years ago. Could this hurt my chances of getting a visa? I do not want to get denied for yet another visa, but I also want to tell the truth. any ideas here?

I listed small-arms, chemical warfare, etc. training that they asked about. No problems. I think you just circle what's applicable or write whats on their list, right? Either way, as said above, as long as that visa company gets their $200, you're going to get a visa. No worries. I didn't notice any FSB following me around either so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Basic enlisted guy or officer training in the military isn't a red flag. Hell, half of Russia is trained in that stuff. They're looking for stuff like nuclear scientist from Pakistan or chemical engineer from Sudan or something like that. Same as we are.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

She can find out where it is and where the local DHL office and the medical facility. Other than that, have a nice trip.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

As far as what city you should visit, having been a tourist in both Peter and Moscow, I will give a definite vote for St. Petersburg. And as was mentioned, if you can go in June, do. The white nights are amazing. The architecture is amazing, including the Hermitage. Go on a boat ride on the canals. See Petergolf. Take a night tour of the city. You get to see all the bridges rise, then see various sites throughout the city on a pretty comfortable bus. The tour ends just in time for the Subway to open. It rocks. Also, see the parks and cathedrals. They are awesome. And see the museum of chocolate. It's really just a cool chocolate store. But I liked it.

In terms of going to the embassy, Marina and I never went to the embassy before the interview. I don't think there is any reason to. Read the guides online and you will do better than asking questions at the embassy.

In terms of what documents, again, read the guides. There isn't anything out of the ordinary. Bring birth your birth certificate.

A chocolate museum?

Time to change plans!

Русский форум член.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Sounds like the VISA application package she submitted to the French Embassy was not complete if they had to "call and ask her why she is going to Paris." If she had properly included the trip itinerary and copies of hotel reservations and round trip tickets etc. etc. perhaps she would not have been turned down for the VISA. Moscow is incredibly expensive, so is France. Why not try Poland ? Its still an EU country and if she does a better job on her application she might get the VISA ... supply proof of all places you plan to visit, if you are going then send in your flight information as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.