Sam he Amy

Applied K-1 then got married outside the US

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Happy Chinese New Year all,

I recently applied for the K-1 visa (Jan 30, 2010). As I am currently living and working in China with my girlfriend, we are planning to have a wedding ceremony here in China with her family.

I assume that having a wedding ceremony will not affect the visa application but what if we get married officially by the Chinese government? The reason I am thinking about getting officially married through the Chinese government is because I am eligible for 2 weeks off work and would like to take a much needed vacation.

thanks for your help and I did use the search function but was unable to find anything related.

--------------------------

05/2006 First met in Beijing, China

06/21/2006 Officially together

06/21/2006 to present-day continuously dated while working and living in Beijing, China

10/2006 My mom and aunt finally meet her

03/2007 My parents come to Beijing to meet her

05/2008 Our vacation to Shanghai

10/2008 Our vacation to Thailand. Sawadikaaaa

02/2009 Visit her family for Chinese New Year

10/2009 Our vacation to Malaysia and Macau. Ney ho ma?

05/2009 Began living together in Beijing, China

01/30/2010 Mailed I-129f certified mail to California Service Center

02/02/2010 NOA1

02/03/2010 Touched

03/05/2010 NOA2 APPROVED Emailed me, then checked USCIS website. I can't believe it was so fast!

03/26/2010 Received 'Packet 3' in China.

04/02/2010 Sent 'Packet 3' to Guangzhou consulate.

04/21/2010 Received email that interview will be June 8th!

??? Packet 4 received.

06/08/2010 Interview - Pink Slip!

07/26/2010 Arrived in the US

08/02/2010 Married at City Hall

09/21/2010 AOS sent out

12/17/2010 AOS interview but USCIS cancelled via letter

As long as you have a religious ceremony only and dont register it, you should be fine......If you decide to go all the way and register it, you will have to start all over again and submit the I-130 and pay $355 for that. (basically at this point you will have just paid the USCIS $455 for nothing, but the spouse visa is better and maybe you are able to DCF?? How long have you lived there...most cases you have to live in the country for 6 months, but DCF is faster than filing with the USCIS) You would probably have to withdraw the K-1 petition too.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Well, if you get married, then you are no longer eligible for the K1 as you are no longer petitioning for a fiance, but a spouse... you will give up the K1 and have to start from scratch with a CR1 visa...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

we get married officially by the Chinese government

then you are no longer eligible for the K-1 visa.

That marriage is GLOBAL, buddy, and in China, it's just 2 minutes of paperwork at the clerks office.

K-1 visa is for fiance's - to come to usa, to get married IN the usa.

I suggest a different route for you -

Since you've been living in China all this time, you qualify for a DCF'd I-130.

You can file this in BeiJing, the day after you are officially married.

I suggest you forget about the K-1, totally -

the DCF'd I-130 is much faster in China - about 4 months, start to finish, from 'submittal' to 'interview day'

POST BACK if ya get stumped, about it, ya?

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
we get married officially by the Chinese government

then you are no longer eligible for the K-1 visa.

That marriage is GLOBAL, buddy, and in China, it's just 2 minutes of paperwork at the clerks office.

K-1 visa is for fiance's - to come to usa, to get married IN the usa.

I suggest a different route for you -

Since you've been living in China all this time, you qualify for a DCF'd I-130.

You can file this in BeiJing, the day after you are officially married.

I suggest you forget about the K-1, totally -

the DCF'd I-130 is much faster in China - about 4 months, start to finish, from 'submittal' to 'interview day'

POST BACK if ya get stumped, about it, ya?

:thumbs: Married is Married. Married folks don't have fiancees.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Will USCIS/NVC/US Consulate actually check for overseas marriage status? I was under the assumption that their primary interest is blocking fake marriages or the bringing of multiple K-1 fiance/es into the U.S.

We are also having a ceremony overseas and we've been debating whether to get registered there. Her mother wants us to, but I am against it because of some dual-citizenship issues for me.

Edited by chris_in_nyc

I don't get how there's a grey area here. If you have a ceremony and have it registered, you are married - and by that definition, a K1 visa is no longer an option for you.

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline
I don't get how there's a grey area here. If you have a ceremony and have it registered, you are married - and by that definition, a K1 visa is no longer an option for you.

The same grey area under which a U.S. citizen can have dual nationality ..

Only requirement I can find is that you must use your U.S. passport to enter/exit the U.S. The gov't apparently does not concern itself with how other countries view your status.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I guess I don't see dual citizenship and being married or not as quite the same thing. But I'm funny that way.

It's not a grey area. You are either married or you are not. We recently had a thread where the petitioner completely screwed up their life by marrying again in the USA after having married abroad. If countries didn't recognize marriages that took place in other countries, some people would need several weddings. The US doesn't recognize plural marriages for immigration purposes regardless of where they are performed. Otherwise, married is married.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
Will USCIS/NVC/US Consulate actually check for overseas marriage status?

I don't think they check everyone, but they do sometimes, especially if they suspect a K1 applicant is married based on photos, wedding rings, statements from friends and family, mention of 'wife" in emails or whatever. If they find out you lied and said you were not legally marriedwhen you are, that is missrepresentation, and may lead to a lifetime ban for the foreigner and jail time for the USC.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

It's not a grey area. You are either married or you are not. We recently had a thread where the petitioner completely screwed up their life by marrying again in the USA after having married abroad. If countries didn't recognize marriages that took place in other countries, some people would need several weddings. The US doesn't recognize plural marriages for immigration purposes regardless of where they are performed. Otherwise, married is married.

:yes:

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Will USCIS/NVC/US Consulate actually check for overseas marriage status? I was under the assumption that their primary interest is blocking fake marriages or the bringing of multiple K-1 fiance/es into the U.S.

Some countries (the Philippines for example) have a central registry for this type of records. I've heard that some communist countries have "Family Books" which may indicate married status also. If this is the case then most likely the local US Embassy will require a document to prove that your "Fiancee" is single.

Anyway, regardless of that you are aware that misrepresentation is immigration fraud and can result in criminal charges for the US Citizen and a lifetime entry ban for the foreign national, right? Why take the risk?

We are also having a ceremony overseas and we've been debating whether to get registered there. Her mother wants us to, but I am against it because of some dual-citizenship issues for me.

How do "Dual Citizenship Issues" come into play with regards to where you get married?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Furthermore the OP will have to submit a marriage certificate with the AOS package. I dont think all the dates will jive if he chooses to get married before the K1 is approved. So even if they dont checked initially; it will be an issued later on. It is best NOT to let emotions get the better of you....

Timeline

Yeah, I get it and it all makes sense. Frankly I didn't really think about this issue until I read the post earlier, but of course we'd never act on anything without thoroughly researching it.

Thanks for your comments.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.