I AM NOT THAT GUY

TSA to swab airline passengers' hands in search for explosives

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Washington (CNN) -- To the list of instructions you hear at airport checkpoints, add this: "Put your palms forward, please."

The Transportation Security Administration soon will begin randomly swabbing passengers' hands at checkpoints and airport gates to test them for traces of explosives.

Previously, screeners swabbed some carry-on luggage and other objects as they searched for the needle in the security haystack -- components of terrorist bombs in an endless stream of luggage.

But after the Christmas Day attempted bombing of Northwest Flight 253 over Detroit, Michigan, the TSA began a program of swabbing passengers' hands, which could be contaminated by explosive materials, experts say. The TSA will greatly expand the swabbing in the coming weeks, the agency said.

"The point is to make sure that the air environment is a safe environment," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told CNN. "We know that al Qaeda [and other] terrorists continue to think of aviation as a way to attack the United States. One way we keep it safe is by new technology [and] random use of different types of technology."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/02/17/tsa.h...dex.html?hpt=T1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

better not be shooting several days before a flight.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
better not be shooting several days before a flight.

Or, eating hot dogs, shoveling fertilizer, or anything else that exposes you to nitrates. I wonder how sensitive the swab test is: Will it detect things other that nitrogen salts?

Edited by Lone Ranger

You'll be fine unless your name is Muhammed, then you'll be hauled off to jail, waterboarded for all your terrorist information before being hung, drawn and quartered and your head placed on a spike fixed to the airport railings as a deterrent to other travelers with arabic sounding names.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

You'll be fine unless your name is Muhammed, then you'll be hauled off to jail, waterboarded for all your terrorist information before being hung, drawn and quartered and your head placed on a spike fixed to the airport railings as a deterrent to other travelers with arabic sounding names.

No, it's better off that we waste time hassling an 80 year old grandma whose metal hip beeps, or a kid with Cerebral palsy whose crutches beep, in the name of being PC :wacko: Gotta be fair right...

The day handsome white Europeans like myself start blowing things up, feel free to pull me aside to send me through secondary screening. Until then, step aside ###### and let the authorities catch the real threat.

Edited by Booyah

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
The day handsome white Europeans like myself start blowing things up, feel free to pull me aside to send me through secondary screening. Until then, step aside ###### and let the authorities catch the real threat.

wasn't your other name McVeigh?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
No, it's better off that we waste time hassling an 80 year old grandma whose metal hip beeps, or a kid with Cerebral palsy whose crutches beep, in the name of being PC :wacko: Gotta be fair right...

Would you think he was a terrorist ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...sion-drama.html

The day handsome white Europeans gay antagonistic fuckwits like myself start blowing things up, feel free to pull me aside to send me through secondary screening. Until then, step aside ###### and let the authorities catch the real threat.

Fixored. :devil:

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Or, eating hot dogs, shoveling fertilizer, or anything else that exposes you to nitrates. I wonder how sensitive the swab test is: Will it detect things other that nitrogen salts?

it will.

The machines are so sensitive that alarms can sound for passengers who have recently taken heart pills containing nitroglycerin, or if they have recently fired guns, Jenkins said. The machines also are used on checked luggage.

so old people with angina, drs, nurses and paramedics are also going to have to put up with extra drama when they fly, along with cops, etc.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

gay antagonistic fuckwits like myself

Fixored. :devil:

Dude, no need to describe yourself.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

I've just noticed your new avatar, Bill. :blink:

I'm glad sparklers don't explode.

sparklers.jpg

sparklers will explode, all needed is a roll of black tape!!! WARNING! DO NOT TRY!!!! TRUST ME: IT WORKS VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

sparklers will explode, all needed is a roll of black tape!!! WARNING! DO NOT TRY!!!! TRUST ME: IT WORKS VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

Howdy neighbor. Sounds like there might be a good story there. ;)

24q38dy.jpg