A glimpse into the mind of a terrorist

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As the shells fall around them, Hizbullah men await the Israelis

Ghaith Abdul-Ahad, south of Tyre

Saturday July 29, 2006

The Guardian

Inside a well-furnished apartment in a village on the outskirts of Tyre, with shelves of books piled from floor to ceiling, a black turbaned cleric and three men sit sipping bitter coffee. By the door is a pile of Kalashnikovs and ammunition boxes; handguns are tucked into the men's trousers. The four are Hizbullah fighters, waiting for the Israelis.

"Patience is our main virtue, we can wait for days, weeks, months before we attack. The Israelis are always impatient in battle and in strategy," says the cleric, Sayed Ali, who claims to be a descendant of the prophet. "I know them very well."

As if to make his point, the sound of Israeli shells blasting the surrounding hills shakes the door and shutters every few minutes. Ali does know the Israelis. He started fighting them at the age of 17 when they invaded Lebanon in 1982. Three years later he was arrested with two of his comrades and spent a few months in an Israeli prison. Within weeks of his release he was fighting them again. That's what he did for the next six years.

For the last five years he has been finishing his theology studies in Tehran. A month ago, he was asked by Hizbullah to return to southern Lebanon. He arrived a week before the fighting began.

Standing at the window, he points to the banana plantations between us and the blue Mediterranean. "I have fought for years in these groves. We used to sit and wait for them [the Israelis] to make a move and then we would hit. They always moved too quickly, too soon."

All over the hills of south Lebanon hundreds of men like Sayed Ali and his comrades are waiting - some in bunkers, some in farm houses - for the Israeli troops to arrive. Sayed Ali and his men spend most of their time in the building where his apartment is, moving only at night.

"We stay put and we don't move till we get our orders, and this is why we are not like any other militia. A militiaman will fire whenever he likes at whatever he likes," explains one of the men, who says he has been involved in firing Katyusha rockets into northern Israel. "We have specific orders. Even when we fire rockets we know when and where [to fire] and each of the men manning the launchers runs to a specific hiding place after firing the rockets."

He says Hizbullah fighters expect the site of a rocket launch to be hit by an Israeli airstrike or shell within 10 to 15 minutes.

Another of the men, who says he is Sayed Ali's brother, explains how Hizbullah teaches its fighters patience: "During our training we spend days in empty buildings without talking to anyone or doing anything. They tell me go and sit in that building, and I go and sit there and wait."

According to Ali, Hizbullah operates as "a state within the state", with its own hospitals, social organisations and social security system. "But we are also an Islamic resistance movement, an indoctrinated army," he adds. "I would go and knock the door at someone and say we need $50,000, he would give me [that] because they trust us."

The fighting force of the organisation is divided into two: the "active" group, whose task is to serve in Hizbullah, and the reserve, or Ta'abi'a, as it is known in Arabic. The active fighters get monthly pay. The reserves are called on only in time of war, and receive bonuses but no regular pay. A third section, the Ansar, comprises people who support or are supported by the organisation.

Ali, the commander of Hizbullah in his village, and his men are part of the active force, and their orders are to wait for further orders. "Hizbullah hasn't even mobilised all its active fighters, and the Israelis are calling their reserve units," he said.

Hizbullah prides itself on its secretiveness and discipline. "We don't take anyone who knocks at our door and says 'I want to join'. We raise our fighters. We take them when they are young kids and raise them to become Hizbullah fighters. Every fighter we have believes that the ultimate form of being is martyrdom." The three men nod their assent.

Shia symbols and mythology play a big role in the ideology of Hizbullah, especially the tragedy of Imam Hussein, the grandson of the prophet who in the 7th century led a few hundred men against the well-organised army of the caliph in Damascus. He was slain in Karbala, and Shia around the world commemorate these events in Ashura.

"Every one of those fighters is a true believer, he has been not only trained to use guns and weapons but [indoctrinated] in the Shia faith and the Husseini beliefs," Ali says.

He and his fellow fighters have been preparing for the latest conflict with the Israelis for years and he acknowledges the support received from Iran.

"When we defeated them in 2000 we did that with [Katyusha] rockets. We had six years to prepare for this day - the Americans are sending laser-guided missiles to the Israelis, what's wrong if the Iranians help us? When the Syrians were here we would get stuff through their supply lines, now it's more difficult."

The TV is blaring patriotic songs and pictures of destroyed bridges, houses and buildings. The men are feeling confident - only a day earlier the Israelis suffered heavy casualties in the village of Bint Jbeil.

"Our strategy is to hit the commandos and the Golani units like we did in Bint Jbeil," Ali says. "Those are their best units. If they can't do anything, the morale of the reserve units will sink."

For Ali and his comrades, the latest conflict is a war of survival not only for Hizbullah but for the whole Shia community. It is not only as a war with Israel, their enemy for decades, but also with the Sunni community. Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Egypt have all expressed fears of Iranian domination over the Middle East.

"If Israel comes out victorious from this conflict, this will be a victory for the Sunnis and they will take the Shia community back in history dozens of years to the time when we were only allowed to work as garbage collectors in this country. The Shia will all die before letting this happen again."

He says that even if the international community calls on Hizbullah to disarm as part of a peace deal, he and his men will not lay down their arms. "This war is episode two in disarming Hizbullah. First they tried to do it through the Lebanese government and the UN. When they failed, the Americans asked the Israelis to do the job."

Despite Israel's claims to have inflicted heavy losses on Hizbullah, Ali insists his side is in a strong position. "Things are going very well now, whatever happens we are winning. If they keep bombing us we will stay in the shelters, and with each bomb more people support the resistance. If they invade they will repeat the miserable fate they had in 1982, and if they hold one square foot they will give the Islamic resistance all the legitimacy. If they want to kill Hizbullah they have to kill every Shia in the south of Lebanon."

And even when the battle with the Israelis is over, he adds menacingly, Hizbullah will have other battles to fight. "The real battle is after the end of this war. We will have to settle score with the Lebanese politicians. We also have the best security and intelligence apparatus in this country, and we can reach any of those people who are speaking against us now. Let's finish with the Israelis and then we will settle scores later."

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Perhaps we should call them what they are - an irregular militia army, rather than the politically loaded label of terrorist (which isn't really all that accurate in this context).

Reading this I think you would find rather different psychological processes going on in the mind of the guy on his way to blow himself up in a crowded street.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Perhaps I am missing something here... but what exactly did he do to justify calling him a "terrorist" ?

I don't think fighting against a military force which has invaded and occupied your country would qualify as "terrorism" (except perhaps in the bizarro world of the Zionist philosophy :wacko: )

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Perhaps I am missing something here... but what exactly did he do to justify calling him a "terrorist" ?

I don't think fighting against a military force which has invaded and occupied your country would qualify as "terrorism" (except perhaps in the bizarro world of the Zionist philosophy :wacko: )

You are obviously missing the list of Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs) designated by the Secretary of State in accordance with section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Legal Criteria for Designation under Section 219 of the INA

1. It must be a foreign organization
  2. The organization must engage in terrorist activity, as defined in section 212 (a)(3)(B) of the INA (8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(3)(B)), or terrorism, as defined in section 140(d)(2) of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1988 and 1989 (22 U.S.C. § 2656f(d)(2)), or retain the capability and intent to engage in terrorist activity or terrorism.
  3. The organization’s terrorist activity or terrorism must threaten the security of U.S. nationals or the national security (national defense, foreign relations, or the economic interests) of the United States

Current List of Designated Foreign Terrorist Organizations

1. Abu Nidal Organization (ANO)
  2. Abu Sayyaf Group
  3. Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade
  4. Ansar al-Islam
  5. Armed Islamic Group (GIA)
  6. Asbat al-Ansar
  7. Aum Shinrikyo
  8. Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA)
  9. Communist Party of the Philippines/New People's Army (CPP/NPA)
  10. Continuity Irish Republican Army
  11. Gama’a al-Islamiyya (Islamic Group)
  12. HAMAS (Islamic Resistance Movement)
  13. Harakat ul-Mujahidin (HUM)
  14. Hizballah (Party of God)
  15. Islamic Jihad Group
  16. Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU)
  17. Jaish-e-Mohammed (JEM) (Army of Mohammed)
  18. Jemaah Islamiya organization (JI)
  19. al-Jihad (Egyptian Islamic Jihad)
  20. Kahane Chai (Kach)
  21. Kongra-Gel (KGK, formerly Kurdistan Workers' Party, PKK, KADEK)
  22. Lashkar-e Tayyiba (LT) (Army of the Righteous)
  23. Lashkar i Jhangvi
  24. Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)
  25. Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG)
  26. Moroccan Islamic Combatant Group (GICM)
  27. Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization (MEK)
  28. National Liberation Army (ELN)
  29. Palestine Liberation Front (PLF)
  30. Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ)
  31. Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLF)
  32. PFLP-General Command (PFLP-GC)
  33. al-Qa’ida
  34. Real IRA
  35. Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC)
  36. Revolutionary Nuclei (formerly ELA)
  37. Revolutionary Organization 17 November
  38. Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party/Front (DHKP/C)
  39. Salafist Group for Call and Combat (GSPC)
  40. Shining Path (Sendero Luminoso, SL)
  41. Tanzim Qa'idat al-Jihad fi Bilad al-Rafidayn (QJBR) (al-Qaida in Iraq) (formerly Jama'at al-Tawhid wa'al-Jihad, JTJ, al-Zarqawi Network)
  42. United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia (AUC)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

The correct label in a resistance moving against occupation. Your in my home I am going to get you out and keep out anyway neccessary.

You are obviously missing the list of Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs) designated by the Secretary of State in accordance with section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

2. The organization must engage in terrorist activity, as defined in section 212 (a)(3)(B) of the INA (8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(3)(B)), or terrorism, as defined in section 140(d)(2) of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1988 and 1989 (22 U.S.C. § 2656f(d)(2)), or retain the capability and intent to engage in terrorist activity or terrorism.
  3. The organization’s terrorist activity or terrorism must threaten the security of U.S. nationals or the national security (national defense, foreign relations, or the economic interests) of the United States

2. Abu Sayyaf Group
  4. Ansar al-Islam
  6. Asbat al-Ansar
  7. Aum Shinrikyo
  15. Islamic Jihad Group
  20. Kahane Chai (Kach)
  23. Lashkar i Jhangvi
  33. al-Qa’ida
  34. Real IRA
  41. Tanzim Qa'idat al-Jihad fi Bilad al-Rafidayn (QJBR) (al-Qaida in Iraq) (formerly Jama'at al-Tawhid wa'al-Jihad, JTJ, al-Zarqawi Network)

So basically only the USA can label someone a terrorsit. Then in whos eyes is it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

2. Abu Sayyaf Group
  4. Ansar al-Islam
  6. Asbat al-Ansar
  7. Aum Shinrikyo
  15. Islamic Jihad Group
  20. Kahane Chai (Kach)
  23. Lashkar i Jhangvi
  33. al-Qa’ida
  34. Real IRA
    43 wife_of_mahmoud

you forgot one. :P

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hizbullah prides itself on its secretiveness and discipline. "We don't take anyone who knocks at our door and says 'I want to join'. We raise our fighters. We take them when they are young kids and raise them to become Hizbullah fighters. Every fighter we have believes that the ultimate form of being is martyrdom." The three men nod their assent.

I think we should grant these would be martyrs their wish. As Gen. George Patton was to have said, "The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other ####### die for his."

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: Timeline

I think we should grant these would be martyrs their wish. As Gen. George Patton was to have said, "The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other ####### die for his."

:thumbs:

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Timeline
OOOHHH that is an attack. You will go to hell for that. I think your name should be on there. Your an evil skank

Your nickname should be incanada123, Charles. :P

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

"In our attempt to make everybody happy, we make nobody happy. And we lose elections." - Democratic activist Janice Griffin

Those black turbans must really fry hezbollahs brains. Don't they know not to wear black after sunrise?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
OOOHHH that is an attack. You will go to hell for that. I think your name should be on there. Your an evil skank

and of course what you said isn't. :lol:

oh i just love the double standards :whistle:

if it makes you feel better, i'll be #44 ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!