1,001 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi Czmjacq

I had the same question as Lia792. Can we send in the Packet 3 just from downloading it from the site or do we have to wait for the Packet 3 from them? And if it gets lost in the mail, what do we do in regards to the case number?

BTW, anybody have the address of where to send Packet 3 anyway? Can I have it pls?

Lia792,

I'm sending in the DS-230 Part 1 and 2 Not signed (and taking an extra copy of part 2 not signed to interview), I-864, letter explaining why I've not filed taxes past 3 years, letter explaining reestablishment of domicile, copies of bank statements, copies of credit card statements, emails with daycares, lease agreement with my parents. I think that's it.

Sorry for the delay in my response -- It looks like you already sent your "packet" in -- but I wanted to share with you the answer I got when I emailed CDJ again asking for the case number and if I needed to mail the 864 tax stuff along with the DS-230 part 1 and 2 -- and they said ---

As mentioned previously, we need the DS 230 parts I and II at this time. Please include this case number on any correspondence you send to us. We will need the original, signed I-864 when Mr. comes for his interview.

So they ONLY want the DS-230 part 1 and 2--

And as far as mailing to CDJ -- I plan on sending all my stuff via Estafeta so I get a signature when it is delivered. Unfortunately they don't send their packets like that so it looks like they easily get lost!

Has anyone heard about how things are going in CDJ with the crime and the killings? I am really scared to go their for the interview!!

Hi Arianak,

Before you start the process, there are some things you should consider before you pick a process:

1. FM-3 (I've never gotten an FM-2, but I imagine it's more expensive and takes longer to get.) So, assuming you are thinking of an FM-3, you usually need to have certain things to get an FM-3, such as a job offer and your degree translated. It takes a minimum of a month to get one, and probably about two if you include the gathering paperwork part. Also, it's very possible they will require 6 months' residence with an FM-3 before they will allow you to file in Mexico. None of us had to ask because all of us had been here longer than that.

2. Getting married in Mexico - It depends on whether you are Mexican or not. If you are not Mexican (eg have dual nationality,) you have to get a permission to get married in Mexico which involves translating your birth certificate and the whole process of the Registro and INM takes about a month.

That brings us to a total of about 3 months.

Add on to that about 3-4 months for the visa process, and you are up to 6-7.

DCF costs: $355+$400+medical and travel costs. Later you have to remove conditions if your husband receives a conditional greencard, and citizenship is another year after removing conditions if still married. Costwise, it is much more reasonable than a K-1, and it is faster if you already have your FM-3, already are married, and possibly have fulfilled a 6 month residency requirement. Thus, DCF is definitely faster and cheaper if you are already married and already have an FM-3, but sometimes the stress of dealing with Mexican bureaucracy, especially if you don't live in the same city as the Registro or Immigracion, can offset its benefits.

I would suggest you read the guides to find out the differences between the 2 visas. I think a K-1 in Mexico is taking about 5-6 months right now. Also, permission to work is generally limited until after AOS - you have to adjust status after having gotten married within the 90 days. So that automatically adds another $1010 on to your fees and several more months? onto your visa process.

3. DCF has another definite benefit and that is your separation is minimized and I don't have proof - but I would theorize - that our approval rates are slightly higher. If you have a co-sponsor, I would definitely consider DCF because that way you can stay with him longer and have less agony of time apart. Actually, if you have a co-sponsor and clear domicile, you can stay until the interview with him and move with him. I don't think that should be underestimated.

4. I also think you should consider where you want to get married, if you want to do a civil ceremony in Mexico and then a religious ceremony in the US or something to that effect, and who would come to either wedding. In the end, I kind of wish I had waited to get married in the US to be with my family.

Anyhow, good luck whatever you choose!

Thank you so much Jaremedios for your thoughtful response. I have this gut feeling about DCF, I don't know why! I just feel like it is the way to go. So yes, I have been living in Mexico for the last 2 years continuously and on and off for the last 5. I think I am just going to go on Monday and get my FM3 and permiso para matrimonio (I am a US citizen). While waiting for the FM3, get married, and try and get my I130 in as soon as I get my FM3. Has anyone had bad experiences with sending the I130 to Mexico via mail, should I try to hand deliver? And where could I read recommendations about the I130? I know you all are much further along ;-) Thanks again!

Filed 130 in person in Mexico City June 2010

130 approved next day

No case number until July 21

Sent Packet 3 July 21

Packet 3 approval date Aug 4

Oct. 4 Interview- Approved!

Timeline

I sent it by mail from Oaxaca through RedPack. It got there in 1 day and had a tracking number so I could check online when it had been received by the Embassy. Whatever you do, don't send it with the regular mail or even certified mail with Correo Mexicano.

Hey Czmjacq,

I sent our packet by DHL and it was in Ciudad Juarez by 1pm the next day with a signature. That is really weird what they said about the I-864 because Packet 3 says they need it. Actually, I have noticed that Ciudad Juarez is extremely unclear and gives out instructions that often contradict each other. Another user doing DCF, PAV, had the same situation with his Packet 3 instructions. I would include a copy of the email they sent you just in case.

Most people that visit CJ say it feels normal to them. Nevertheless, one should use safety precautions. What my husband is going to do is stay at a hotel very close by or one that has a shuttle service. He will not do any sightseeing there and will eat inside the motel as much as possible.

Arianak, I agree with jaremedios. If you read my post above, I explained exactly what they asked for at the window, which turned out to be slightly different from the US requirements. Also, there was a poster in one of our DCF threads who scanned the requirements for Monterrey, and Mexico City has pretty much the same list.

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Timeline

Does anyone know the email address to CDJ? I sent my I-130 to Mexico City, it was approved on May 13 and sent to CDJ. I want to get in contact with them to see if it was received and see if I can mail the packet 3 to them. I haven't gotten the letter of approval from the Embassy yet, just the email so I don't think things are going to be very fast if I just wait for the Mexican mail! Thank you.

Timeline

This is what Lia792 wrote above:

They have 2 addresses listed on Packet 3:

U.S. CONSULATE GENERAL, P.O. BOX 10545, EL PASO, TX 79995

PASEO DE LA VICTORIA #3650, FRACCIONAMIENTO PARTIDO SENECU, CIUDAD JUAREZ, CHIHUAHUA, MEX C.P. 32543

I'm not sure which one is the mailing address, but I think both are and that the first is for US mail. I just haven't been able to confirm it yet.

Here's a link to the inquiry form. You have to use this form as they don't have an email address per say.

http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/feedback-form.html

This is a new link...maybe the form is new? The normal link on their website contact info isn't working. If this doesn't work follow the link for public inquiries on this page:

http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/about_the_consulate.html

Only one of us got our case number in the mail and the rest had to email for it, so you may as well email them. The mail doesn't seem to be any more reliable with appointment dates, either.

Good luck!

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

LOL don't worry about it. By the way, I ended up using the Paseo de la Victoria address and it got there alright by DHL.

I feel ya, Jaremedios...where you live is a very personal choice and the pace of life in both countries is very different.

I called Ciudad Juarez today hoping that our interview had been scheduled, but they said we had just been put on the waiting list 3 days ago (took a week to get on it from sending our Packet apparently) and that it would be 6-8 weeks until we hear. Someone else on a different forum was told all the June appointments are full, so hopefully we make it onto the July list. I really wish they would update their appointment list because it's from March. I honestly can't complain at all about the appointment wait since it's only been 5 weeks since I did the petition. I'm glad we called the number though, since someone picked up right away and it took us all of about 2 minutes to find out what I did.

How are all the other DCFers doing out there?

Sure - this is the number for within Mexico: 01-900-849-4949

I had to pick 2 options to get to a live person.

It's 12 pesos per minute.

Filed: Timeline

hi i sent my i-130 form with all the requirements to the uscis office in mexico city using estafeta it arrived on may 21st and was approved on may 24th and sent to cd juarez i found out about the approval through e-mail and did not recieve a case # or any sort of package due to the fact that i have no mailing address in mexico

what is this package 3 that everybody sends to cd juarez and how do i get it if i cant recieve mail?

how can i find out about our case #?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.