1,001 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi,

I'm new but it appears I may be slightly ahead of most in the process -

I sent my I-130 packet to MX city on Feb 15, 2010 and recieved a letter of approval March 2nd (approval date on letter was Feb 18)

I'm not familiar with all the terminology so really don't know if it's a NOA 1 or 2-- anyone know how I can tell the difference?

Just says approval notice of relative immigrant visa petition -- and has a box checked saying that my packet was sent to Cd.Juarez and I would get further instructions from them. Well it's been over 2 months and I have yet to receive anything from Cd. Juarez, so I emailed to see if I could get any info from MX City since I live in Cozumel and they aren't know for their speedy, reliable mail service.

From information I have gathered from several sites, it appears the packet they send will include a DS-230 part 1 and 2 form and I-864 Affidavit of Support - does anyone know if there are any other forms that will be coming? I'm trying to get the info together ahead of time.

Thanks for any help.

Hi czmjacq,

Nice to have a new DCFer. The NOA1 is what most people get sent in the US when they first file their petition. the NOA2 is the notice of approval of the petition. I don't think we get NOA1s with DCF...I just got a receipt when I filed in person, but no letter. What you got is a NOA2. Claireg got her case number recently from Ciudad Juarez; apparently that comes first and then Packet 3.

They are going to mail these Packets to you:

http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/immigrant-visa-and-fiancee-visa-forms.html

You can fill them out ahead of time if you want.

Here's a contact form for Ciudad Juarez. There's also another one I put in a forum and I think it's different...I don't know if either of them will let you inquire without a case number.

https://ciudadjuarez.cms.getusinfo.com/public_inquiry_form.html

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/252408-mexico-timelines/

Good luck and hopefully you will hear from them soon. My guess is you will because I think claireg has a very similar timeline and it might take a few more days to get over to the island. (You are making me think of Playa and the beach and Coco Maya.)

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Timeline

Hi czmjacq,

Nice to have a new DCFer. The NOA1 is what most people get sent in the US when they first file their petition. the NOA2 is the notice of approval of the petition. I don't think we get NOA1s with DCF...I just got a receipt when I filed in person, but no letter. What you got is a NOA2. Claireg got her case number recently from Ciudad Juarez; apparently that comes first and then Packet 3.

They are going to mail these Packets to you:

http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/immigrant-visa-and-fiancee-visa-forms.html

You can fill them out ahead of time if you want.

Here's a contact form for Ciudad Juarez. There's also another one I put in a forum and I think it's different...I don't know if either of them will let you inquire without a case number.

https://ciudadjuarez.cms.getusinfo.com/public_inquiry_form.html

Good luck and hopefully you will hear from them soon. My guess is you will because I think claireg has a very similar timeline and it might take a few more days to get over to the island. (You are making me think of Playa and the beach and Coco Maya.)

Thanks soooo much!! All the links are very helpful. I just emailed claireg on the other timeline forum - glad to see someone is ahead of me so I can get more feedback.

Jaremedios,

Here's the link to the discussion about the NVC case number:

She just got hers this past week so I imagine you have another week or two to go...although distance-wise, I imagine our mail probably gets to us faster. I'm a little concerned by the fact that all the letters people are getting seem to be dated almost a month earlier...I'm still sitting here wanting to know about my NOA2. :(

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Hi, everyone! I'm back!

Today we went to the consulate here in Monterrey to file our petition. Let's see what I can remember:

They were really nice. There was nobody in the USCIS office but us. I hope that means we'll get a fast approval!

They told us the whole process would take from 6 to 8 months.

When I called for information, they told me to take a translated copy of my husband's birth certificate, but then they didn't ask for it.

They said that they send the approval to Juarez and they get in contact with you. Of course they also send you the approval, and speaking of... in form I-130, where you put your street address, you need to also write your "colonia", since they need it to send you correspondence. It didn't occur to me before, so I had to write it down really small.

They only asked for copies, and didn't ask for evidence except of course the marriage certificate! ;)

I think that's all!

So now we wait...

Congrats! I'm glad it went smoothly!

We got our NOA2 today! I'm working on my Packet 3 so that we can send it off as soon as it comes!

Thanks! Good luck with getting your case number and Packet 3, too! I'm starting to get excited! (LOL even though this is just the beginning)

No, the NOA2 is just a "Notice of Action" that they have approved the petition with USCIS. I'm still in line for a case number behind everyone else. Interestingly enough, my NOA2 didn't have a USCIS case number either.

Timeline

No, the NOA2 is just a "Notice of Action" that they have approved the petition with USCIS. I'm still in line for a case number behind everyone else. Interestingly enough, my NOA2 didn't have a USCIS case number either.

That was the same in my case -- I called Mexico City to ask about it so I could try the online tracking but I was told that the case number will come from Ciudad Juarez -- 2 1/2 months after receiving my NOA2 -- still nothing from Ciudad Juarez... I emailed last week to check since Cozumel mail isn't the most reliable, but I haven't received a response yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

That was the same in my case -- I called Mexico City to ask about it so I could try the online tracking but I was told that the case number will come from Ciudad Juarez -- 2 1/2 months after receiving my NOA2 -- still nothing from Ciudad Juarez... I emailed last week to check since Cozumel mail isn't the most reliable, but I haven't received a response yet.

UPDATE- received an email response from Ciudad Juarez that they mailed the packet 3 on March 3rd -- so obviously since we haven't received it, it's been lost in the mail. They did give me the link to the forms that need to be filled out - there is no specific listing for what usually comes in package 3 and package 4 . Does anyone know which form numbers are requested to be mailed in Packet 3?

Timeline

UPDATE- received an email response from Ciudad Juarez that they mailed the packet 3 on March 3rd -- so obviously since we haven't received it, it's been lost in the mail. They did give me the link to the forms that need to be filled out - there is no specific listing for what usually comes in package 3 and package 4 . Does anyone know which form numbers are requested to be mailed in Packet 3?

New update- reread the packet 3 letter and found answer- Forms 230 and 864.... for package 3.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.