VREF

How to get a b1/b2 tourist visa

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

My girlfriend just got hers two weeks ago so i figured I would share.

First the US embassy is very interested in her desire to return to her home country. That being said there is an extreme emphasis on that.

She needs to have a job that is worth going back to. She must have money in the bank, the Min appears to be $10k. Owning property and a car is a plus. Mom, dad brother all got a visa is not important. Its based on her performance. The reason she is going to the USA will be asked over and over in the interview. 90% of the tourist visa is how she performs in the interview. The same questions will be asked over and over. What is she gonna do in the USA? She is gonna be a tourist Duh? (go to Disney with my boyfriend). Don't lie, what difference does it make if she has a boyfriend in the USA or not? Obviously she is going for a reason. Tell the truth, its easier plus if shes lying they will sniff it out and the tourist visa process will fail.

Fill out the DS156 for her and sign it at the bottom as Boyfriend. You the boyfriend also need to fill out a letter of invitation. In this letter take responsibility for her that you will ensure she will not overstay her visa and be responsible for her if she gets sick. The whole process takes about 5 days start to finish.

Most visas are denied because their is a belief that the girl will stay in the USA and become illegal. She does not have Significant ties to home country.

The US also wants to see many trips out of her country and RETURNING on time.

Don't let her overstay her visa! If you marry the girl it means nothing, you must then do a K3 or CR1 visa to have your wife stay in the USA.

My girlfriend has a business, we have made trips to Mexico, Aruba and Dominican Republic. She owns no property or a car.

They gave her a 10 year visa.

Filed: Country: Scotland
Timeline

I think I am at the beginning of the same scenario. My girlfriend (Scottish) and I (USA, of course), met in New Zealand. We spent almost a year together there, very much in love the whole time. We have since returned to our respective countries 6 months ago and in that time, she came to visit me once for a couple weeks and I just got back from a 2 week trip there.

We are trying to figure out what to do next. In a PERFECT universe, she would come over here on a B2 visa for 6-12 months for a sort of "trial run" if you will, of living together in America. If it went as well as we expect it will, we would follow the rules and have her return home and apply for the K1 visa immediately.

Our concern is the B2 interview process. What I'm confused on is does she need to prove A) that she isn't moving to the USA or B) that she's planning on returning home? Because there IS a difference. Yes, she MAY end up moving to the USA, but we would follow the rules and have her return home first. How do we convince an immigration officer of this?

It's uplifting to hear you were successful in being honest, but I've heard so many other people saying either DON'T tell the truth if you apply for a B2 or they will reject you OR just to apply for the visa waiver, which doesn't give us as much time as we want.

Can I ask what country your girlfriend is from? And so hearing my story, you think we could go ahead and apply for the B2 and be honest about our intentions?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Isn't Scotland one of the WVP countries?

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Isn't Scotland one of the WVP countries?

Yes great Britain is in the VWP program...... but I successfully applied for a B2 ...... I had just bought a property in the US and wanted more time to renovate it.

It wasn't a problem.

Old and Grumpy....But an American Citizen!!!

Timeline

so let me get this straight? You went in to a B2 interview, said you had land in the states and they still gave it to you? I'm guessing you had to prove pretty strongly that you would return to the UK. How would we convince the interviewer that my girlfriend's intentions are real, that despite that fact she IS coming to see her boyfriend in America, that she WOULD return to the UK?

Timeline

Anyone else with advice? Does anyone think it's OK for my girlfriend to apply for the B2 visa, admitting to the interviewer that she has a boyfriend but genuinely saying that IF things work out between us, she will return home to Scotland no matter what and we will follow the K1 process? Or will they just toss her out and not give it to her?

I had a B1/B2 visa issued in London. I was travelling over to see my then girlfriend on an almost monthly basis and did stay for 30 days on one trip. I then decided to spend three months here over the course of Christmas 08/09 and thought it would be a prudent idea to get a visa just in case I stayed longer.

It wasn't a problem to apply for, I just filled out the forms and made the appointment with the embassy. I went along (sat there for nearly 4 hours) and had an interview with an official. It was really quick and I explained that I travelled over to the US on a regular basis to see my girlfriend, was planning an extended trip there and wanted the visa to be sure. The CO looked through my documentation which comprised of bank statements, a confirmation from work of my extended leave, a mortgage statement and a few other bits and pieces. She was more than happy with what I'd presented and said I could have the visa.

I was warned that I should NOT stay any longer that six months in any twelve month period as it would cast doubt on whether I actually had an intention to return to the UK. In addition I was also told that the visa does not guarantee me entry into the US, it would still be up to the officer at the POE as to whether I would be admitted, so I should ensure that I have the evidence that I produced at the embassy and anything else that would satisfy requirements.

The main thing with applying for the visa is to produce strong ties to the UK and that there's plenty of evidence that one intends to return. Whilst one should never lie to a CO if asked about anything, it may not be wise to make any mention of a K1 at a B1/B2 interview!

Hope that's helpful,

Dom

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Likewise. I applied for B1/B2 for the same reason. Just like what n1dom said, she needs to prove that she has strong ties to UK. For my situation, I asked my employer for proof of employment and a letter that I was taking an extended leave. I was renting at the time, so I showed my lease agreement. And also bank account statement. I think those are the only ones I brought. Also, I've travelled to the US a few times before I applied. It showed that I did not overstay.

thCat_Dancing.gif

12.15.2009 - Mailed out AOS

12.29.2009 - NOAs Received-hard copies

01.02.2010 - Biometrics appt. r'cved for Jan.19,2010

01.15.2010 - Walk in Biometrics - DONE

02.03.2010 - Case Transfered to CSC

02.16.2010 - I-765 approved. card production ordered

02.24.2010 - Employment Authorization Card arrived today!

03.05.2010 - I-485 APPROVED, "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"

03.11.2010 - "Welcome to the US of A" letter arrived

03.12.2010 - PR Card arrived

Dec. 5, 2011 (Monday) - Is the date when I can apply for Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Anyone else with advice? Does anyone think it's OK for my girlfriend to apply for the B2 visa, admitting to the interviewer that she has a boyfriend but genuinely saying that IF things work out between us, she will return home to Scotland no matter what and we will follow the K1 process? Or will they just toss her out and not give it to her?

Her odds are very low, what sort of job does she have that allows her 6 months holiday?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

so let me get this straight? You went in to a B2 interview, said you had land in the states and they still gave it to you? I'm guessing you had to prove pretty strongly that you would return to the UK. How would we convince the interviewer that my girlfriend's intentions are real, that despite that fact she IS coming to see her boyfriend in America, that she WOULD return to the UK?

The IO actually said "You own a house in the US and you rent a flat in the UK??"

i answered truthfully.... yes that's true!

I was working for a medical agency on short contracts.... so I could take time off whenever I wanted to... so.... no permanent job to return to.

I think I wass just lucky.

Old and Grumpy....But an American Citizen!!!

Timeline

n1dom and CockieLockies - thanks for that info. It really made my girlfriend and I a lot more confident about pursuing a B2. One more question. Did you two ever have any experience by any chance about changing the status of your visa while on the B2? My GF (in a perfect universe) wouldn't mind finding some work while here just so she can survive financially. Did you guys just have a lot of money saved up or what?

mamaSue - that's pretty awesome, thanks for sharing!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think most people just find jobs that pay under the table. :no:

Saves all that hassle.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

n1dom and CockieLockies - thanks for that info. It really made my girlfriend and I a lot more confident about pursuing a B2. One more question. Did you two ever have any experience by any chance about changing the status of your visa while on the B2? My GF (in a perfect universe) wouldn't mind finding some work while here just so she can survive financially. Did you guys just have a lot of money saved up or what?

mamaSue - that's pretty awesome, thanks for sharing!

I'm afraid I didn't have any experience of AOS on a B2, I believe that it can be done but I'm not sure on the ins and outs of it all. After we had applied for the K1, I did travel several more times with the B1/B2 making sure I had a stack of evidence with me but I'm pleased to say that the K1 never was mentioned at the POE.

With regard to working on a B1/B2, as I understand it, don't. In our situation there was a lot of forward planning and we were lucky that the Dollar/Pound rate was 2:1 which really helped! There would be nothing worse than getting caught breaking the terms of a visa and your girlfriend being banned from the US for something like 10 years.

All I can say is that whatever you both decide to do, please don't risk any shortcuts after you've worked out that you've both got a lifetime together.

Dom

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.