munkeynutts

Flight query - One way tickets!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

I am on the verge of my K-1 interview and I shall be booking my ticket to Houston as soon as I get my visa. What have people on here done when booking a flight to the US? One way is around £700 to Houston, but a round trip is around £300. I am thinking...ok, obvious thing is to buy a round trip and not use my return portion of my ticket, more commonly known as 'Throwaway Ticketing'. What's the worst that can happen? Delta Airlines could not come to my house and force me to get on the return flight could they!?

Thank you.

Martin

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2009-05-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-29

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-10

I-797 Received: 2009-09-22

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-10

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-06

Interview Date : 2010-02-03

Interview Result : Disastrous.

Only realised on the day that a full birth certificate was needed. My passport was too damaged, in the opinion of the interviewing officer (although it wasn't really that damaged at all!). Was told I needed to supply an I-134, completed by my fiancee (even though the embassy guidance notes specifically advises that K-1 applicants do not have to do this). Was told that I needed to supply my fiancee's tax return paperwork for year ending 2008 (even though K-1 applicants are not advised of this at all prior to interview!)

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received : 2010-02-24

US Entry : 2010-02-25

Marriage : 2010-03-22

Comments : Married at Harris County Courthouse on Clay Road by Judge William Yeoman. Then a lovely lunch at Bistro Alex, off Sam Houston Tollway, Houston, TX! Yummy!

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 115 days from your NOA1 date.

If you only do it this time, no big deal. If you make a habit of throwaway ticketing, I've heard the airlines can get picky. USCIS and immigration won't care which you have.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks a lot. Yes, just this time I'll be doing it. Never done it before and money is tight, so what the hell!

Regards

Martin

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2009-05-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-29

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-10

I-797 Received: 2009-09-22

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-10

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-06

Interview Date : 2010-02-03

Interview Result : Disastrous.

Only realised on the day that a full birth certificate was needed. My passport was too damaged, in the opinion of the interviewing officer (although it wasn't really that damaged at all!). Was told I needed to supply an I-134, completed by my fiancee (even though the embassy guidance notes specifically advises that K-1 applicants do not have to do this). Was told that I needed to supply my fiancee's tax return paperwork for year ending 2008 (even though K-1 applicants are not advised of this at all prior to interview!)

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received : 2010-02-24

US Entry : 2010-02-25

Marriage : 2010-03-22

Comments : Married at Harris County Courthouse on Clay Road by Judge William Yeoman. Then a lovely lunch at Bistro Alex, off Sam Houston Tollway, Houston, TX! Yummy!

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 115 days from your NOA1 date.

Thanks a lot. Yes, just this time I'll be doing it. Never done it before and money is tight, so what the hell!

Regards

Martin

My husband (then fiance) came to the US on a round-trip ticket and it was not a problem. He just didn't use the return ticket. That's what stand-by passengers are there for... to fill the gaps.

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

They over book flights for this reason.

My husband also came on a return ticket and had no problems at all.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Regards

Martin

Don't worry about it - your under no conditions to use the return portion of the ticket.

With that being said, some airlines do keep track of people doing this (mostly in the States - jumping connections) and they could flag you - there was an interesting article in the WSJ about it - but I wouldn't get worked up about it :)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
If you only do it this time, no big deal. If you make a habit of throwaway ticketing, I've heard the airlines can get picky. USCIS and immigration won't care which you have.

My husband worked for a cruise line and we had to do this at least 15 times over the past 9 years... we were definetly habitual throwaway ticketers... We never had an issue with any airline... We had to buy the round trip either to the US or from the US and we only used one portion of it depending on which way the cruise line was paying...

So bottom line... They really don't care

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

I bet NO ONE can solve the mystery why a one-way ticket is more expensive than RT. I mean, you are traveling half as much distance, so it makes sense the one-way ticket should cost half as much. Maybe the airlines just haven't figured this out yet.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Dems runnin the airlines too I suppose... smells like democratic mathmatics

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I used to work for Continental Airlines. You shouldnt have a problem. They really dont care if you use it or not...they got their money.

I've come across this too. We're planning to leave April 27th, together with our labrador, pending the interview. We are planning to do just the same thing. I couldnt care less about the return portion of the ticket. My fiance travels a lot on business and often as a standby passenger, he would always be extremely grateful to be 'saved' at the last minute. Also imagine that extra person whos supposed to be sitting next to you onboard. Dont you just love it when you're in that position and get all that extra room for 8 hours mmm bliss! :whistle:

Edited by RUSSandRACHEL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Echoing the previous posters, it's unlikely that you'll get into trouble doing it just once. Be aware, though, that according to the contract of carriage of your airline, they /can/ choose to charge you the fare difference between your round trip ticket, and a one-way ticket on the same flight, and that the one-way ticket price considered is the price in effect on the day of departure, which is commonly very high. You should be able to get away with it, but be aware that they reserve the right to go to extremes.

I bet NO ONE can solve the mystery why a one-way ticket is more expensive than RT. I mean, you are traveling half as much distance, so it makes sense the one-way ticket should cost half as much. Maybe the airlines just haven't figured this out yet.

Oh, they have it figured out. One-way tickets are more expensive than round trip tickets on legacy carriers for the same reason as why flexible tickets are more expensive than fixed tickets. One-way and flexible tickets are typically booked in the same fare classes, with the same allowances and restrictions, and are commonly bought by corporate and other business travellers, who have larger budgets at their disposal. This is also why quite a few airlines serving strictly leisure destinations, or traditionally serving leisure travellers will issue one-way tickets at half the price of round trip tickets. For transatlantic travel, Icelandair is a good example of this.

It truly must be with the help of divine intervention that after entering into this well-defined bureaucratic process, we were blessed with the expected outcome within the predefined timeline. Praise deities!

I-129F timeline

-----

02-09-09 - I-129F sent.

02-11-09 - NOA1.

06-15-09 - NOA2.

08-27-09 - Packet 3 received.

10-03-09 - Packet 4 received.

10-08-09 - Interview date - Approved. (Visa in hand 10-16-09)

02-03-10 - Date of entry.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The dreaded ticket police will show up at your door and either make you take the return light or pay the difference.

Hell I fly 150,000+ miles a year and do this quite often, most of the tiem it will cost more to rebook a flight, when circumstances change, thasn to buy an entirely nesw ticket.

Perfect example week before last coming through Chicago, made the Atlanta route instead with a different airline cheaper than changing the Chicago ticket.

Just a return flight through Chicago, round trip throught Atlanta.

Edited by Craneman

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.