Mrs. Gil

Fiance Freakout

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

To all my K-1 and K-3 friends out there:

Has anyone's finance had a total meltdown/freak out right before or after his or her approval? My fiance doesn't speak English, has never been out of his own country, and never even dreamed about living in the U.S. We've been building up to this for the last 2 years, and I think the realization just sunk in for him. He's also kind of a mama's boy and going to have a hard time saying goodbye. Just wondering if anyone else has been thru this "cold feet" kind of thing.

K-1 Process

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-26

Visa Received : 2010-02-04

US Entry - Dallas : 2010-02-26

Marriage : 2010-03-27

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Dallas TX

Date Filed : 2010-04-13

NOA Date : 2010-04-24

RFE(s) :

AOS Transfer** : 2010-05-13

Bio. Appt. : 2010-06-07

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-18

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-22

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-23

******EAD and AP approved and sent for production 2010-06-28******

AP Received 2010-07-05

EAD Received 2010-07-10

GC Received 2010-07-10

It is a huge move for him, and I'm not surprised. It's always easy to talk about doing something "some day", but when that's tomorrow, suddenly it can seem overwhelming.

As the USC, it's harder for you to be as empathetic, but try to help him focus on the things which will stay the same for him, and what will be better (you'll be together!).

Maybe work on planning a trip back to visit, or get him involved in making sure that you know how to make his favorite foods, and where to get some of the more specialized ingredients.

I think right now it's important for you to stay supportive, and not freak out about his freaking out - that's a feedback loop that you don't want to get into.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a total freak out when I moved down here. What really helped was when my husband booked a flight to Toronto for both of us just 3 months after I moved. It was funny, after the trip back to Toronto, I couldn't wait to go back to the US.

It's a big deal and totally understandable and yes, don't freak out when he freaks out. Be understanding

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

I'm fully prepared for my spouses "culture shock" even though she seems fine now.

I-129F Mailed 13DEC09
I-129F Received 16DEC09
NOA1 Dated 16DEC09
NOA2 Dated 18MAR10 Your I-129f was approved in 92 days from your NOA1 date.
Date Package Received By NVC : 27MAR10
Your interview took 153 days from your I-129F NOA1 date
Arrival in USA 06Jun10
Married 20AUG10
AOS File 19APR11

Son born 26NOV12

removal of conditions filed 11JUN13

Biometrics appt 09JUL13

To all my K-1 and K-3 friends out there:

Has anyone's finance had a total meltdown/freak out right before or after his or her approval? My fiance doesn't speak English, has never been out of his own country, and never even dreamed about living in the U.S. We've been building up to this for the last 2 years, and I think the realization just sunk in for him. He's also kind of a mama's boy and going to have a hard time saying goodbye. Just wondering if anyone else has been thru this "cold feet" kind of thing.

I had a little bit of a meltdown. 98% of Guatemalan's are mama's boys. SPECIALLY GUYS. I am a mama's girl, but a very independent one...LOL. Still it was really hard for me to get on that plane and say good bye to my whole family. Guatemalans are very very family oriented. I was flying to Puerto Rico, which is a country I had visited before and they speak some kind of spanish which is my native language, So, I can only imagine how hard must be for him if he has never seen this place and on top of everything else he doesn't speak the language. My husband is very patient, my mo and I still talk every other day on the phone, we really miss each other, but her and my family are very supportive and they encourage to enjoy my marriage, they are happy that I am happy; knowing this and that Robin is understanding, I have everyone's support and its easier for me. If he had a problem because my moma nd I talk often on the phone, it would make it much harder for him and I. They love Robin because of this. I would highly advise you that if you haven't lived together you should be clear in a very sweet way of what you guys expect of each other. Cause I can tell you as a Guatemalan, that there is a possibility he is used to be "served". By this I mean, he has never ironed his clothes or cooked. In other words he is way too pampered. Not all guatemalan guys are like this, but....there is a chance. Good luck in your interview and you marriage! :thumbs:

[size=3]Timeline

8 November 2008 - Married

12 February 2009 - I-130 sent

16 February 2009 - I-130 received

24 February 2009 - NOA1 (California Service Center)

07 April 2009 - RFE (Divorce Decree)

15 April 2009 - Re-submitted divorce decree

16 April 2009 - received by CSC

22 April 2009 - touch

29 April 2009 - touch

30 April 2009 - NOA2

04 May 2009 - NOA2 received

11 May 2009 - NVC Case number assigned

18 May 2009 - AOS Bill/DS3032 generated

18 May 2009 - Paid AOS Bill

18 May 2009 - Returned completed D3032 (e-mail)

20 May 2009 - AOS bill shows PAID

20 May 2009 - Printed AOS cover sheet and mailed I-864EZ package

03 June 2009 - DS3032 accepted, IV bill available and paid

04 June 2009 - IV bill shows PAID, DS230 cover available

10 July 2009 - Package sent to Nvc

15 July 2009 - Package under review

23 July 2009 - Nvc Case COMPLETED!!!

24 July 2009 - Recorded message changes to Case completed

27 July 2009 - Got e mail notification with interview date (September, 8th 2009)

07 Aug 2009 - Medical Exam Completed ENVELOPE GIVEN

08 Sept 2009 - Interview APPROVED!!!!!!

09 Sept 2009 - Visa in Hand

12 Sept 2009 - Arrived in Puerto Rico

05 Oct 2009 - Green Card Arrives in the mail

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Mama's boys do have a hard time adjusting. Mine pretended to be this big bad guy, all independent, can handle anything the world throws at him. When he got here, he certainly changed. He couldn't be all "big bad" in a new place, with no family and just relying on me. He became homesick very quickly. Its been about 3 yrs and he's still almost as homesick as in the beginning. I sometimes wonder how long can someone be homesick, when does it end, when does he feel "here" is home now. He talks to immigrant friends, some who've been here for 10, 20 yrs, and they say they are still homesick. Money is not everything, and its hard when your heart is in the US and your family far away.

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Most people think moving to the U.S. is one big party. It's not. And people need to understand the hard realities of living over there. And discuss it before the big move in terms of expectations and reality. Not just "oh, it's gonna be great--we're going to be together and eat hamburgers." Don't think of it in exotic, romantic terms. It's hard even for well rounded, well traveled, easily adaptible individuals, much less those who've never left home, are intensely attached to their family, or never even been on an airplane before.

I moved to the U.S. when I was 18. I actually adapted quite easily, made new friends in college. The first few winters were a bit hard to take but I coped. I rarely got homesick. And whenever I did I just watched a Bollywood movie or some cricket online. Or cooked some chicken curry.

But I also saw other international students who didn't try to assimilate. They kept to their own home circles and isolated themselves. Then they complained about being homesick or not having American friends. Or feeling like they didn't belong. I went out of my to make sure I made friends based on personalities. Not nationality. Even though that would've been easier to do. But I didn't make friends with just South Asians or Indians just so that they would understand me better. Yes, there were times I had to repeat myself, or explain Indian film stars or Indian foods to my American friends just as they would explain the television shows they watched as a kid or their Halloween traditions. I had one rule of thumb: If I wouldn't be friends with that person in India, I wasn't going to become friends with him/her just because we both happened to be Indians in America. If I only wanted Indian friends, well, then I could've just stayed in India. Why move all the way to the other side of the Atlantic? This is something I don't understand about my cousins--one is in Singapore, and the other one is in London. Their friends are all Indians, they barely know any Brits or Singaporeans. Which is a pity, I think.

Two professors, at the end of the first semester, commented that they hadn't met anyone who had adjusted so well to a new life, much less an eighteen year old.

I do think the younger one is, the easier it is to assimilate and adjust.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
Most people think moving to the U.S. is one big party. It's not. And people need to understand the hard realities of living over there. And discuss it before the big move in terms of expectations and reality. Not just "oh, it's gonna be great--we're going to be together and eat hamburgers." Don't think of it in exotic, romantic terms. It's hard even for well rounded, well traveled, easily adaptible individuals, much less those who've never left home, are intensely attached to their family, or never even been on an airplane before.

I moved to the U.S. when I was 18. I actually adapted quite easily, made new friends in college. The first few winters were a bit hard to take but I coped. I rarely got homesick. And whenever I did I just watched a Bollywood movie or some cricket online. Or cooked some chicken curry.

But I also saw other international students who didn't try to assimilate. They kept to their own home circles and isolated themselves. Then they complained about being homesick or not having American friends. Or feeling like they didn't belong. I went out of my to make sure I made friends based on personalities. Not nationality. Even though that would've been easier to do. But I didn't make friends with just South Asians or Indians just so that they would understand me better. Yes, there were times I had to repeat myself, or explain Indian film stars or Indian foods to my American friends just as they would explain the television shows they watched as a kid or their Halloween traditions. I had one rule of thumb: If I wouldn't be friends with that person in India, I wasn't going to become friends with him/her just because we both happened to be Indians in America. If I only wanted Indian friends, well, then I could've just stayed in India. Why move all the way to the other side of the Atlantic? This is something I don't understand about my cousins--one is in Singapore, and the other one is in London. Their friends are all Indians, they barely know any Brits or Singaporeans. Which is a pity, I think.

Two professors, at the end of the first semester, commented that they hadn't met anyone who had adjusted so well to a new life, much less an eighteen year old.

I do think the younger one is, the easier it is to assimilate and adjust.

That's really good advice. My boy is also a momma's boy who never left home and he has been stressing over this move somewhat already. I've already told him I was going to introduce him to all the Indians here so he can talk cricket which made him feel better. My American friends are anxious to meet him. I really want him to meet all kinds of people and thankfully he is fascinated by culture and there are a lot of different cultures where I live. So hopefully that will encourage him to want to pursue friendships with all different types of people. I honestly think he's going to be okay, but only because I'm very persistent at finding ways to make things work. His success and happiness is important to me.

January 2009 - K-1 Denied by the consulate

January 2011 - Moved to India - Yikes!

October 2011 - DCF filing rejected by overzealous employee at the embassy

December 2011 - Tourist visa denied (not surprising)

March 2012 - CR1/IR1 process started

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Read about all the shenanigans of my relationship at American Punjaban PI

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

A lot, I'd say, depends on the attitude. If one is open to new challenges, then one has a easier time fitting in. I used to be really shy before I left home. Not self-concious or diffident, just not comfortable around new people. Once in college, I realized that if I was going to spend Friday night watching a rented DVD and eating take-out Chinese, I was going to become lonely and friendless very quickly. So I took to keeping my room-door open and often took up invitations to go to dinner or parties, even with groups of people I didn't know that well.

Another thing I've noticed is the accent. I didn't have a strong Indian accent to begin with, it was mostly neutral and most of it has been erased by four years in the U.S. However, in the beginning, when some of my American friends either giggled at or corrected my usage of a word, I didn't take offense. I laughed along with them and would say "Oh, this is how you say it here, in India we pronounce it as such-and-such." Getting defensive and clamming up doesn't do any good. Rather, having a humorous attitude about such things help. For instance, a nurse at the health center once remarked to me, "Wow, your English is remarkably impressive." So I grinned at her and said, "Why, so is yours!" And we both had a good laugh about it.

[Another time my boss at work asked me to stamp some books. He pointed to the stamp and asked, in all seriousness, "Do they have these where you come from?" I laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants. I think HE was almost offended by HOW funny I found his question to be.]

A few other tips:

--Have your foreign SO read a basic book chronicling U.S. history. It helps immensely. I didn't like the feeling of not knowing what people were talking about with regards to slightly obscure historical figures or events. It's not easy to go from a country where you presumably know everything about its history, culture and politics to feeling like an idiot in a strange land and feeling left out of conversations. I hated feeling "stupid" as I called it. 'A People's History of the U.S.' by Howard Zinn is a good starting point.

--Teach him American words for certain things. Like "Bell Pepper" for Capsicum. God, you should've heard me trying to order a sub from a deli my first week. Holiday/Vacation. Shower/Bath. Movie theater/hall. Bracket/parenthesis. The different types of cheeses. I didn't know diddly squat from Amul cheddar cheese until my stint at the food station. :)

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
I had a little bit of a meltdown. 98% of Guatemalan's are mama's boys. SPECIALLY GUYS. I am a mama's girl, but a very independent one...LOL. Still it was really hard for me to get on that plane and say good bye to my whole family. Guatemalans are very very family oriented. I was flying to Puerto Rico, which is a country I had visited before and they speak some kind of spanish which is my native language, So, I can only imagine how hard must be for him if he has never seen this place and on top of everything else he doesn't speak the language. My husband is very patient, my mo and I still talk every other day on the phone, we really miss each other, but her and my family are very supportive and they encourage to enjoy my marriage, they are happy that I am happy; knowing this and that Robin is understanding, I have everyone's support and its easier for me. If he had a problem because my moma nd I talk often on the phone, it would make it much harder for him and I. They love Robin because of this. I would highly advise you that if you haven't lived together you should be clear in a very sweet way of what you guys expect of each other. Cause I can tell you as a Guatemalan, that there is a possibility he is used to be "served". By this I mean, he has never ironed his clothes or cooked. In other words he is way too pampered. Not all guatemalan guys are like this, but....there is a chance. Good luck in your interview and you marriage! :thumbs:

Haha. This made me laugh. He is a TOTAL mama's boy, but not really close to anyone else in his family. We did live together for about 6 months while I lived in Xela, and fortunately Fernando is not so set in his "machista" ways. He's kind of from the new school way of thinking, and most, if not all, things between us are equal. He even cooks and washed dishes! I know he is worried about coming here, and I am trying to think of ways to make him comfortable here and to feel like this is his home, too, not like he is just living with me, in MY house. We've got English classes lined up, and I am hoping he makes some friends that way. I've also got some "manly" projects for him to do at home to keep him busy when he's not studying so he feels like he is contributing until his AOS is complete and he can work.

K-1 Process

Adjustment of Status

RFE(s) :

AP Received 2010-07-05

EAD Received 2010-07-10

GC Received 2010-07-10

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
A few other tips:

--Have your foreign SO read a basic book chronicling U.S. history. It helps immensely. I didn't like the feeling of not knowing what people were talking about with regards to slightly obscure historical figures or events. It's not easy to go from a country where you presumably know everything about its history, culture and politics to feeling like an idiot in a strange land and feeling left out of conversations. I hated feeling "stupid" as I called it. 'A People's History of the U.S.' by Howard Zinn is a good starting point.

EXCELLENT SUGGESTED READING. Besides real annotated history (not a watered down "washed" version) it shows that Americans have not been perfect but enough of us are trying. I also have the illustrated version which is more brief and more entertaining.

Funny, the histories of some countries are so long that you'd have to be a scholar to know just the basics. We in the USA only have a few hundred years.

moving right along

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You have to be aware of the “cultural shock” involved in the process and how it will affect both of you. I am puertorrican, moved to California about 4 years ago. Even tho Puerto Rico is a US territory and thus we are very, how do they call it? “Americanized”, it was still way different than what I expected. My English is good and yet I had some problems communicating with people around me. Not only I was homesick, I was also craving something “familiar”. My ex lived in the same town for 30 years so he couldn’t understand what I was going thru. He never made an effort to empathize or sympathize with my situation. It was very hard for me. The relationship suffered because of it. I was depressed and frustrated which at some point turned into anger, in other words, I was miserable. I eventually got over it and found ways to make CA my home away from home but gosh I cried a river in the process.

My humble opinion..

Make sure he gets “the best of both worlds”. He has to immerse himself in the new culture, learn English, make English speaking friends, get used to all the quirks of your hometown and make it his home but also look for something “familiar” to do. Find things for him to do, get him excited about moving to the States. Make sure he knows you understand his situation and you are willing to help him get thru it: “look honey I found a group of people that meets on Sundays to play futbol !”. It’s incredible how something so simple can be so comforting.

I learned a lot from my own experience so now that I started the K-1 process for my fiancé (he is Canadian) I want to make the transition as smooth as possible for him. Canada to US may not be a huge leap; definitely not as big as Guatemala to the US, but there are still some differences. Coming to visit has really helped. He’s has experienced and assimilated some of the things that are different from home (like U turns and Disney’s Fast Passes lol ). I think Im losing the battle over the fav-our, colo-ur and cen-tre but hey! I can’t win them all :P

Good luck with this new chapter in your life and whenever things get hard just remember how much you love each other and that being homesick sucks less than being apart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I don't know if this helps, but as an immigrant myself, I fully adjusted here after about 4 years. The first 2 were the hardest but slowly I grew more and more accustomed to everything. My advice for the immigrants who want to integrate in a new culture is doing exactly the opposite of what people might think is helping the immigrant and that is: stay away from friends from your country. I found those groups not helping someone who wants to adjust because often times, they get together to gossip of how bad and horrible US is. This prolongs the feeling of "i don't belong here" even longer. Try to stay among people who speak English and seem fully integrated and like it here without considering what country and culture they come from. Take a look at the Mexican people in their segregated neighborhoods in US and you will understand better my point of view.

When I got here I staid only among Americans and though it was very hard to understand the jokes, the culture and connect with them, in the end it helped me integrate a lot faster and loose the home sickness feelings. After about 2 or so years I had the first contacts with people from my country and let me tell you, I did not like it one bit. Though they made me laugh and felt instant connection with them and had a lot common interests and subjects of discussion, the encounter with my hommies left me with a sour taste. Those circles are all about gossiping and comparing one culture to another and that doesn't help. You hear a lot of them saying they miss a lot of stuff back home and nothing here even come close to fulfilling that need(only what is back home does) . Trust me, USC's with foreign fiances out there, looking for friends from their country doesn't help with homesickness, it prolongs it for many many many years, sometimes forever. If you want to do yourself a favor and your spouse's, make them get used to everything American as soon as possible and as soon as they get here. It is hard but do that instead of adjusting yourself to their culture. Though it may seem to you right now wrong what I am saying, trust me it is exactly what is needed for an immigrant to adjust better and get rid of homesickness so he doesn't fall in depression. The more stuff around them remind them of their home, the more they will miss it because in an immigrant's head nothing absolutely nothing no matter how good it is or how good it tastes it is not like how it's done back home. That is my honest and humble opinion, going through immigration and never having left Romania before, except this time to come here. After 6 years i feel like US is my country, and feel both of them(US and Romania) in my heart the same and also got passed the homesickness by living and doing and speaking American. Now I'd say I seldom miss Romania: probably once a year a thought pops in my head and that is only and only because my parents are there. Good luck to all.

Edited by ziia

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

Timeline

I do feel like I can empathize with my fiance maybe more than some others might be able to because I did give up everything to go live in his country for 3 years, but I always knew it wouldn't be permanent. I know the feeling of culture shock and missing my family, but I also think I have a bigger sense of adventure than he does so I might be more accepting of the unknown. I think he is warming up to the idea more and more though, seeing as how he will be in within the month.

K-1 Process

Adjustment of Status

RFE(s) :

AP Received 2010-07-05

EAD Received 2010-07-10

GC Received 2010-07-10

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

sorry to hear that

IR-1/CR-1

2008-12-24 - Marriage
2009-03-12 - I-130 Approved
2009-05-29 - Pay IV Bill
2009-09-30 - Case Completed at NVC
2009-10-14 - Packet 4 Received
2009-11-16 - Interview Date

Interview Result - Approved
2010-01-09 - US Entry
Port of Entry - JFK

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office - Vermont Service Center
Date Filed - 2011-10-08
Date Approved - 2012-07-30
Green card received - 2012-08-01

Citizenship

N400 filled - 2013-08-09
NOA - 2013-08-12
Biometrics -2013-09-05

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.