TonyCH

Question about immigration reform?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Macedonia
Timeline

Hi guys i was wondering if immigration reform will happen in 2010 , whats the good thing that we are getting,,, and for example me in the F4 category for brother or sister .???

Thanks regards tony

USCIS

Priority Date: August 28th, 2004

(August)08/20/2004 I-130 Fedex to Vermont

(September)09/01/2004 NOA1 (Received)

(November)10/16/2009 NOA2 (Approved)

NVC

(November)10/19/2009 NVC case number assigned

(May) 05/11/2017 Case opened for further processing

(May) 05/11/2017 DS261 Submitted

(May) 05/21/2017 DS260s Submitted for All three aplicants

(Feb) 02/17/2018 Case Completed

(March) 03/06/2018 Visa Interview Scheduled at US Embassy Skopje

(April) 04/17/2018 Visa Interview -- APPROVED

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi guys i was wondering if immigration reform will happen in 2010 , whats the good thing that we are getting,,, and for example me in the F4 category for brother or sister .???

Thanks regards tony

who knows

8/26/09- received 10yr GC

N-400- done

Last reform that didn't get passed they knocked out USC children petitioning their parents. Who knows what's next.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Don't keep your hopes up for anything major happening in 2010 regarding an Immigration Reform, the US has too many issues to resolve at the present time and that is not something that is hot on the list right now.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Well, since I have been waiting two days for my post to be posted on the immigration thread, I'll just put it here. Immigration reform has already begun. A bill was presented to the house last Tuesday. You can find a summary of the bill in a link from the article by the Washington Post. It looks very interesting for all types of immigrants, including legal immigrants.

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Well, since I have been waiting two days for my post to be posted on the immigration thread, I'll just put it here. Immigration reform has already begun. A bill was presented to the house last Tuesday. You can find a summary of the bill in a link from the article by the Washington Post. It looks very interesting for all types of immigrants, including legal immigrants.

All 535 members on Congress can introduce new legislation. The number of proposals that make it through are incredibly small. Many bills are introduced and die in committee or withdrawn. Every year, there are several bills introduced on immigration reforms that die in committee or withdrawn. I would not call the introduction of any bill as the the "beginning of immigration reform."

Until a bill has momentum and seriously discussed and not a proposal by a few members of Congress, then I see the validity of serious immigration reform. For now, the proposal is a mere desire to get the conversation going.

Immigration reform is not going to happen anytime soon. Although Obama wants it, he is not going to spend limited political capital on it when he still has to deal with healthcare, the economy, jobs, the war in Iraq, and the war in Afganistan. Immigration does not affect many American families so it is not a high priority. For many American, a new immigrant is someone who will compete for limited jobs. The next presidential election cycle will begin before the end of 2010, and no national politician is going to advocate letting more immigrants into the US in the middle of an economic recession. So, serious immigration reform will not happen for a while.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/194857...-hisp20.article

Gutierrez bill would give millions citizenship

IMMIGRATION | White House, others say it's too liberal

December 19, 2009

BY ERIN KELLY

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Luis Gutierrez, a leading congressional advocate for immigrants' rights, has introduced a bill that would allow millions of illegal immigrants to become U.S. citizens and would end a controversial program that enlists local police to enforce immigration laws.

The bill is widely viewed as too liberal to pass.

Obama administration officials have said they are looking instead to a more moderate, bipartisan immigration-reform bill to be introduced in the Senate early next year by Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.).

Still, the Chicago Democrat made it clear that he and his allies expect a seat at the negotiating table as lawmakers and the White House seek middle ground on the polarizing issue.

Gutierrez's bill, endorsed by the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, Black Caucus and Asian Pacific American Caucus, would allow illegal immigrants to stay in the country while they apply to become legal residents or citizens. They would have to pay a $500 fine and show they've made a contribution to the country through work, education, military or community service.

The legislation also would repeal a program that enlists local police and sheriff's deputies to enforce federal immigration laws. The bill says only the federal government has the authority to enforce those laws.

It also includes a provision that would allow states to offer in-state school tuition to students who aren't citizens and whose parents may be in the country illegally.

The bill acknowledges that strong border security is needed, but it also calls for increased oversight of border control agents to ensure civil liberties are protected.

"As a candidate for president, Barack Obama promised comprehensive immigration reform, and we have brought him the bill to accomplish this," Gutierrez said.

Opponents of the bill said they're angry the bill offers amnesty to millions of illegal workers while so many citizens are out of work.

"People feel shocked and completely betrayed that any elected official would propose legalizing illegal immigrants, stopping local police from enforcing immigration law, and stopping increased border security when we have over 15 million Americans out of work," said William Gheen of Americans for Legal Immigration Political Action Committee.

Rep. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), who has co-sponsored past immigration-reform bills with Gutierrez, said he was disappointed by the legislation.

"It repeats the mistakes of the '86 reform -- massive legalization without a temporary-worker program to accommodate future labor demands," Flake said.

Flake also criticized the bill for watering down the penalties illegal immigrants would face before they could become legal residents.

Previous bills have called for a $2,000 fine and would have required illegal immigrants to return to their home countries before returning to the United States.

Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-Calif.) said the bill is going nowhere.

"Congressman Gutierrez is an ardent supporter of immigrant rights and has introduced at least 20 major immigration bills in the past 10 years, but none has been cleared by a committee for a vote on the House floor," Lewis said.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said last week the Obama administration is pinning its hopes for reform on Schumer's bill.

"We are providing assistance now to Sen. Schumer," she said.

Gannett News Service

Timeline
"Congressman Gutierrez is an ardent supporter of immigrant rights and has introduced at least 20 major immigration bills in the past 10 years, but none has been cleared by a committee for a vote on the House floor," Lewis said.

It's not a serious bill if he can't get it out of committee for a vote. Twenty bills over 10 years and his record is a big fat zero. Chances of this bill reaching the floor is zero. Rep. Flake who has supported prior bills by Gutierrez is not supporting this proposal.

This is not the beginning of immigration reform.

Filed: Other Timeline

I agree with you, Aaron.

President Obama made quite a few promises while on the campaign trail, all surrounding "change we can believe in."

One year into his presidency, health care reform is pretty much a still-born, Guantanamo Bay is still open. The war in Iraq is still going on, while we send more troops to the next war in Afghanistan. Speaking of which, the gays-in-the-military thing is still a "don't touch" issue as well while now some major unions that have supported the President as a candidate getting really p*ssed and asking him to put his money where his mouth has been so often.

With an eye on the midterm elections, I doubt that the current administration will touch immigration reform anytime soon. History has shown that support for such a reform comes easier in times of economic prosperity, not during recession when Americans are out of work and hurting on many fronts.

I maintain that the worst term included in any immigration reform will be "amnesty." While I personally hope they get this sorted for good next time around and find a viable solution for those who are here for so long, I'm willing to bet my egg farm that the reform will be rather moderate.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I haven't been in the US for the last six months so I can't really comment on the situation or even the political climate in the US right now. I do know that when Obama was here in Mexico a few months ago to meet with the leaders of Mexico and Canada, he said that immigration reform was his next priority after health care. I'm not expecting Gutierrez's bill to be the "definitive immigration reform," but I am glad to see they are dallying the idea about. Nevertheless, I am just as much in trepidation that it will be something not relevant to legal immigrants or even not beneficial to them. I think it is important to watch legislation and observe the trends and what changes if any are being brought about. For example, the bill proposes to lower the 125% financial support required to 100%. As Americans, it is our responsibility to be aware of the issues in government so as to vote according to our views and express those views to our representatives so they can represent us adequately.

My views on illegal immigration are in flux right now as I have spent long periods in Mexico. For example, the news today mentioned that an important factor in "immigration to the US" (legal or otherwise) is that American salaries are 8:1 to Mexican salaries. But I can't help but be frustrated by the fact that most of the people that will be taking up the appointments before mine in Juarez will be illegals becoming legal.

e.g., I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me, please.

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Timeline
I haven't been in the US for the last six months so I can't really comment on the situation or even the political climate in the US right now. I do know that when Obama was here in Mexico a few months ago to meet with the leaders of Mexico and Canada, he said that immigration reform was his next priority after health care. I'm not expecting Gutierrez's bill to be the "definitive immigration reform," but I am glad to see they are dallying the idea about. Nevertheless, I am just as much in trepidation that it will be something not relevant to legal immigrants or even not beneficial to them. I think it is important to watch legislation and observe the trends and what changes if any are being brought about. For example, the bill proposes to lower the 125% financial support required to 100%. As Americans, it is our responsibility to be aware of the issues in government so as to vote according to our views and express those views to our representatives so they can represent us adequately.

My views on illegal immigration are in flux right now as I have spent long periods in Mexico. For example, the news today mentioned that an important factor in "immigration to the US" (legal or otherwise) is that American salaries are 8:1 to Mexican salaries. But I can't help but be frustrated by the fact that most of the people that will be taking up the appointments before mine in Juarez will be illegals becoming legal.

e.g., I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me, please.

The President can want and express desires for change, but he cannot do by himself. Our system requires Congress to embrace the issue before any legislation gets seriously discussed.

My point is that every year, numerous proposals are put forth on immigration reform by various Congressmen. The result is that nothing is every seriously considered. The reason is that there is no momentum to have a serious discussion on immigration reform. Some people want it (the President and certain Congressman, but it will not be taken up by the entire Congress in the foreseeable future. Rep. Gutierez has proposed an average of two bills per year for the last ten years. He is not alone in proposing immigration reform. From that, you can guess about the number of bills on immigration reform every year that never makes it to a floor vote.

By Presidential Order alone, Obama can roll back "don't ask, don't tell" since President Clinton put the policy in place with a Presidential Order. Has he done it? No. Why? No political power behind it. Lots more people in Congress oppose "don't ask, don't tell" than those who can agree on any immigration issue. Obama needs to expend political capital on healthcare, the economy, the wars, and ultimately his reelection.

I am not doubting Obama's desire for immigration reform. Heck, I voted for him. In my humble opinion, it is unrealistic that immigration reform is the agenda for the country at this point. Obama and America has too many other things to worry about.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.