Gracie79

Can I sue divorce now?

26 posts in this topic

Thank you all.

I have a 10 year green card.

I am forced to wait out of the US. It's the US immigration law. The waiting period Family based immigration visa for spouse and children of legal permanent resident is 5 years. During the 5 years, we are not allowed to apply for a non-immigrant visa. You are US citizens, so you are not familiar with the law. The marriage is 100% true as we have a 2 year old son. The 5 years living apart is required by the US immigration law.

Ahh ok, I see. So you just got the 10y GC now? When you moved to the US?

Well, according with what people are saying here, you will be just fine. The 10 year GC is unconditional and he can do nothing to hurt you.

Good luck with your process and keep strong.

Yep, you can divorce and he can't deport you. You will remain a legal permanent resident here and After 5 years you can get naturalized, if you choose to.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Yep, you can divorce and he can't deport you. You will remain a legal permanent resident here and After 5 years you can get naturalized, if you choose to.

5ys? I thought when it was through marriage it was 3 years after receiving the GC.

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

it is 3 years as long as you are still with your spouse. Getting divorced it goes to 5 years, like other immigrants.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
it is 3 years as long as you are still with your spouse. Getting divorced it goes to 5 years, like other immigrants.

Thanks! ;)

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

"I have been married for more than 5 years with a US permanent resident. Because of the long waiting period of family based immigration visa, our son and I reached the US in Oct, 2009 granted unconditional permanent residence. Before that, I spent 3 years studying in Canada and taking care of our son alone. My husband really took little care of us. He only went to see us twice a year, 10 days each time during my stay in Canada. When we just got married in May 2004, he treated me well. My life ruined since his boss sent him back to China, his home town to open a company for software outsourcing."

Sounds like he's not a USC, but a LPR? Former marriage to a USC and he adjusted to stay? Then remarried the OP and that's what she's talking about with her having to wait for 5 years to come to the US? I was under the impression only a USC could sponsor family members, but I could very well be wrong. Not sure if any of that has an impact on her situation, but my guess would be--if you have your unconditional green card, you're free to divorce and stay here.

s41029cb120113_1_0.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

There's nothing, absolutely nothing your husband can do to you, that would have any influence on your status as a legal permanent resident for life.

Once you have an divorce attorney, he or she will ask your husband to show the money, all of it. You will get what you deserve from him, and your child will get financial support from him as well.

Additionally, if your husband says anything really mean to you, remind him that his continued absence from the US and his working in China could easily be seen as an abandonment of his residency. Seriously.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

"I have been married for more than 5 years with a US permanent resident. Because of the long waiting period of family based immigration visa, our son and I reached the US in Oct, 2009 granted unconditional permanent residence. Before that, I spent 3 years studying in Canada and taking care of our son alone. My husband really took little care of us. He only went to see us twice a year, 10 days each time during my stay in Canada. When we just got married in May 2004, he treated me well. My life ruined since his boss sent him back to China, his home town to open a company for software outsourcing."

Sounds like he's not a USC, but a LPR? Former marriage to a USC and he adjusted to stay? Then remarried the OP and that's what she's talking about with her having to wait for 5 years to come to the US? I was under the impression only a USC could sponsor family members, but I could very well be wrong. Not sure if any of that has an impact on her situation, but my guess would be--if you have your unconditional green card, you're free to divorce and stay here.

.LPR can, just takes longer... we even have a forum for them here.

.LPR can, just takes longer... we even have a forum for them here.

Never looked for one since it doesn't pertain to me :) Nice to know if it ever does though!

s41029cb120113_1_0.jpg

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

my chinese wife says hold onto your anger, because you are not the cat yet. wait until you are the cat (have all your economic situation and status arranged), and then punish this man before you throw him away. if you divorce him now he will have easy life, and no price to pay for your suffering. you need to think about your future and how you can arrange it before acting on your anger. this is the chinese way.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

he cannot doing anything to take away your conditional greencard.

I don't know about filing in the US if he filed in China. Once divorce you can

file to remove conditions, you will need to have prove that you married him in good faith.

I agree he can't do anything to affect your green card status

because you did everything in good faith and he was the one cheating.

That being said, there is a problem with the fact that he is in China

and regarding that it would be better for you to consult a divorce attorney

right away.

The reason for this is my online friend in Pennsylvania who I never met in

real life but I chatted with only occasionally before meeting my fiancée.

We never talked about meeting but she was good to talk to about my kids.

Her son had some serious medical problems. It was so long ago I forget what he had.

She had 4-5 kids and a husband who was a telecom consultant in Afghanistan.

The problem with his being in Afghanistan was that he could never be pinned

down to have the divorce papers served on him. He did send her enough

money to get by as he was responsible enough about the kids, but she knew

the marriage was over because he could do as he liked over there and he DID.

Get an attorney - talk to several through free consultations because your case

does not sound like an easy one because I've seen it before.

Edited by thongd4me

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

LPRs can petition for spouses but it's a long wait because you have to wait for visa numbers to become available. Takes around 4-5 years.

USC have higher priority immigration benefits, for obvious reasons. Their immediate relatives don't fall under quotas.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.