civis

Dual Citizens Traveling after Naturalization

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have just naturalized in the U.S. but the laws of my country of origin still regard me as a citizen. In other words, I am now a dual citizen. I would like to keep enjoying the privileges of freely traveling back to my family. Any other dual citizen traveling back to their country of origin? My questions:

1. What Passport to use for the travel (the flight out). I plan using U.S. passport (P1)

2. What Passport to use for the entry in my country of origin? I plan to use my country of origin passport (P2). No stamp will then result on the U.S. passport

3. What Passport to use for the flight back? I will use U.S. passport (P1)

4. What Passport to use for the enter U.S.? This is a no brainer. U.S. passport (P1)

Would you please confirm the above?

My main concern is that by using P2 to enter my country of origin, I will not get any stamp on my U.S. passport. How is this going to affect my entry in the U.S.? Will POE agents begin questioning? It will also be my first time using my U.S. passport. I have heard stories of people subject to extensive questioning about their status and naturalization.

Any comment is greatly appreciated as usual. I hope that I posted this in the right forum.

Congratulations to all jul/aug filers who are completing their U.S. immigration journey

Edited by civis

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

1 to 4 are correct. Not having a stamp will not effect entry back into the US. My wife a USC by birth and a UK citizen by naturalization did this regularly for about 5 years.

People are subjected to examination if the CBP officer thinks the passport has been illegally obtained or altered, by that doesn't effect the vast majority of people. Go to your country of origin and come home and don't worry about what will almost certainly not be a problem.

Enjoy your visit.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

I have just naturalized in the U.S. but the laws of my country of origin still regard me as a citizen. In other words, I am now a dual citizen. I would like to keep enjoying the privileges of freely traveling back to my family. Any other dual citizen traveling back to their country of origin? My questions:

1. What Passport to use for the travel (the flight out). I plan using U.S. passport (P1)

2. What Passport to use for the entry in my country of origin? I plan to use my country of origin passport (P2). No stamp will then result on the U.S. passport

3. What Passport to use for the flight back? I will use U.S. passport (P1)

4. What Passport to use for the enter U.S.? This is a no brainer. U.S. passport (P1)

Would you please confirm the above?

My main concern is that by using P2 to enter my country of origin, I will not get any stamp on my U.S. passport. How is this going to affect my entry in the U.S.? Will POE agents begin questioning? It will also be my first time using my U.S. passport. I have heard stories of people subject to extensive questioning about their status and naturalization.

Any comment is greatly appreciated as usual. I hope that I posted this in the right forum.

Congratulations to all jul/aug filers who are completing their U.S. immigration journey

Whenever you are at a US customs use US passport and whenever you are at 2nd passport country's customs use that passport.

Each country gives the highest respect to it's own nationals, coming or going. They are both valid so you have no worries.

Don't sweat it at US side if you carry a US passport. You'll be OK. Sometimes they may ask long-time citizens questions,

they have the right to ask anything of anyone at any time. That's their job.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Just confirming what the others have said..... that you have stated it correctly in your steps. I've used this procedure since I became a Canadian citizen. Just remember to use the same passport when entering and exiting a third country. I presented the wrong passport when exiting Greece, once, and the officer asked me where my entry stamp was. Whoops. Wrong passport. He told me (with a cross look on his face) "Don't do that again." Thanks Sir Officer. Duly noted. :blush:

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

You withheld the other country from us, which makes answering more time consuming. Thank you for that.

1) Leaving US

a) Normally US Passport.

B) If the country you are traveling to requires visa from USC, but not from your other country, you need to use other passport for one in order to be allowed to board.

2) Arriving at destination.

If destination is your other country of citizenship or 1b) is the case, use other passport.

If not, do as you please.

3) Leaving destination

Use US passport to show authorization to enter US.

If Russia or Moldavia, get creative explaining why you don't have an entry stamp.

4) Entering US

Use US passport.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline
You withheld the other country from us, which makes answering more time consuming. Thank you for that.

1) Leaving US

a) Normally US Passport.

B) If the country you are traveling to requires visa from USC, but not from your other country, you need to use other passport for one in order to be allowed to board.

In B you would in fact have to get a visa for your US passport as the US require you to exit the US only on a US passport.

Except of course if you are traveling to your own country and they require a visa for US citizens but your own country wouldn't give you a visa if they know you are a citizen. So in those circumstances you wouldn't be going anywhere. :devil:

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

1) Leaving US

a) Normally US Passport.

In B you would in fact have to get a visa for your US passport as the US require you to exit the US only on a US passport.

Except of course if you are traveling to your own country and they require a visa for US citizens but your own country wouldn't give you a visa if they know you are a citizen. So in those circumstances you wouldn't be going anywhere. :devil:

Thanks everybody for confirming. For those who asked about my country of origin, it is Italy, which is in the Visa-Waiver. Will certainly post my experience this time around.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

as an italian you should be OK entering on your italian passport, but if you were from a country like china, you should enter with your US passport. your US citizenship carries certain protections in event of conflict with local authorities. if a chinese dual enters china on a chinese passport they can be thrown in jail for what and not and WILL NOT be permitted to obtain representation from the US embassy.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Since my home country (Australia) requires a visa from US travelers, the airline at US check-in needs to see my Australian passport - at Los Angeles airport, you don't pass through US immigration at exit s0, I don;t use my US passport when I leave). If your home country requires a visa from US visitors, you may find a similar situation.

When I return (US to Aus) I give my US passport at the airline check-in (as needed to show eligibility to enter US), then use my Aust passport to clear immigration there - then the US passport when I hit US soil.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

What type of visa does Australia require for a USC? They are a VWP country.

09/25/2009 I-129F sent

09/28/2009 Received VSC

09/29/2009 NOA1

10/02/2009 Touched

10/06/2009 Touched again :)

10/07/2009 TOUCHED!!

11/04/2009 NOA2

11/10/2009 NVC Received

11/10/2009 NVC Sent to Napoli

11/12/2009 Napoli signed for the package

11/19/2009 Packet 3 received... and submitted

12/10/2009 INTERVIEW Napoli, Italy

12/10/2009 APPROVED!

12/23/2009 Trip to Italy for Christmas!

01/24/2010 POE Washington Dulles.. My baby's home!

03/20/2010 Wedding Day!

Timeline
Since my home country (Australia) requires a visa from US travelers, the airline at US check-in needs to see my Australian passport - at Los Angeles airport, you don't pass through US immigration at exit s0, I don;t use my US passport when I leave). If your home country requires a visa from US visitors, you may find a similar situation.

But the airline gathers all your passport information and forwards it with the flight manifest and other details to Homeland Security. So technically you break the requirement for a US citizen to exit on a US passport. What if anything will ever come of it who knows, until one day something goes tits up.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Filed: Other Timeline

Lansbury,

I feel you overthinking the issue. Homeland Security is mostly concerned with people entering the US, not those leaving.

But here's a solution for an Aussie flying down under: show US passport when leaving US, then, 20 seconds later, pull out Aussie passport to show authorization to enter Kangarooland, So everybody's happy . . .

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Lansbury,

I feel you overthinking the issue. Homeland Security is mostly concerned with people entering the US, not those leaving.

But here's a solution for an Aussie flying down under: show US passport when leaving US, then, 20 seconds later, pull out Aussie passport to show authorization to enter Kangarooland, So everybody's happy . . .

Even though Australia is a VWP country, it is not a free pass for a USC. Now an ETA (electronic authorization) is required to enter. I understand the US is starting this too for visitors from European VWP countries too. Have to go online and register your information including your passport number and pay about $20. You receive an electronic visa, just a number. The airline will require this info if you are traveling on a US passport to Australia. If you are an Aussie then you show your Aussie passport and you are fine. The airlines are the only ones that check when leaving the US. There is no immigration exit check.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

Actually you are wrong on that point. Having done similar work in the UK and worked closely with my counterparts in the USA they monitor all travel into and out of the USA. They can also produce a record of your travel showing quite detailed information including passport use. It certainly doesn't concern me how people overcome problems and I'm all for the easiest way for the individual but there are potential pitfalls.

It is not just countries that require visas which are going to cause problems. As more and more required electronic manifests to be sent before flight departure there are potential problems about to arise. The UK is one as this article in the Telegraph points out. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelne...ationality.html Knowing the record in the UK for getting large IT system working properly I'm not going to hold my breath that problem is solved. When I was still working in the UK there were plans for all these systems to eventually link together worldwide and all visas and travel history would be available just about anywhere. At that time it was called Border Guard. Be interesting if that ever gets off the ground.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Timeline
The airlines are the only ones that check when leaving the US. There is no immigration exit check.

Yes the airlines are the only ones gathering the information. They are then required to send some of that information to Homeland Security. To be correct there are no immigration exit controls there are certainly immigration checks of the exit information.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.