KittyPollitt

Converting to Islam

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

than k u for replying but with respect the finding ur spirituel ......

i do have a comment about that the truth is clear some ppl need debates to learn from it some they know the truth and they don t wanna folowing it .... it is easy control ur emontion and listen maybe it is ganna be step and remmbre as we are muslim we belive inn jessus and mouses peace be upon .. i know it is hard for some ppl to convert but may Alah guide them

the web site just for ppll who wants to lesarn and i m so sorry if i said sth wrong tahnk u brothers and sisters

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
than k u for replying but with respect the finding ur spirituel ......

i do have a comment about that the truth is clear some ppl need debates to learn from it some they know the truth and they don t wanna folowing it .... it is easy control ur emontion and listen maybe it is ganna be step and remmbre as we are muslim we belive inn jessus and mouses peace be upon .. i know it is hard for some ppl to convert but may Alah guide them

the web site just for ppll who wants to lesarn and i m so sorry if i said sth wrong tahnk u brothers and sisters

Believing in Mouses must be the new age Religion :P

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
priest.jpg

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Oh my gosh I am laughing so hard right now! THANK YOU for that picture!!!! :thumbs:

L.O.L. :goofy:

priest.jpg

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I didn't mean the question to be condescending. I really wanted to understand better. I think what it boils down to is that with an organized religion you need not only faith in God, but also faith that the written word at the center of the religion is divine, e.g. the Quran. If one is unable to believe in that, then conversion does become pointless, right?

Yeah, of course. If you don't believe it, you don't. If you do, you do. Bas.

02/11/09 Married

11/02/09 Sent I-130

11/09/09 NOA1 (received 11/13/09)

11/10/09 Check Cashed

11/13/09 *Touch*

2/10/10 NOA2 (text and email)

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I didn't mean the question to be condescending. I really wanted to understand better. I think what it boils down to is that with an organized religion you need not only faith in God, but also faith that the written word at the center of the religion is divine, e.g. the Quran. If one is unable to believe in that, then conversion does become pointless, right?

Yeah, of course. If you don't believe it, you don't. If you do, you do. Bas.

People are certainly free to believe in what or who they want, but, it's easy to have faith in God when S/He conforms to your beliefs instead of you conforming to His.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

PS - It's disingenuous to say that those in an "organized" religion believe in everything that religion dictates. That's often not the case, as there are pro-abortion Catholics and gay rights Muslims, etc.. I'm sure, after all the disagreements I've had on this board with other Muslims arguing the "mainstream Muslim" position on issues as opposed to mine, that I have the creds to make that claim :P

Faith is about believing in something you can't see, touch or prove, and there is most likely going to be some discomfort in accessing beliefs that aren't entirely your own to also accept those in the faith which you do accept unconditionally. At this time in history, Muslims, in particular, are having to grapple with debatable attitudes and beliefs toward other faiths that some Muslims accept as binding on us all. This is exposing the chasms that the lack of a central authority in Islam has allowed. Who speaks for Islam? is a central question today because no one really does other than Allah, and we have given ourselves permission to pick and chose what we accept from His Message.

I know no Muslims who believe as the Taliban do that all remnants of other faiths must be erased from their proximity. Unlike Al Qaida, I know few who believe that all non-Muslims and less militant Muslims must be eliminated from Earth so that a "pure" Calipate can rule. Most Muslims I know don't want to oppress women in the way tribal interpretations of God's Will do. So, in that way, Muslim are obliged to pick and choose in regards to what Allah intends for us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
PS - It's disingenuous to say that those in an "organized" religion believe in everything that religion dictates. That's often not the case, as there are pro-abortion Catholics and gay rights Muslims, etc.. I'm sure, after all the disagreements I've had on this board with other Muslims arguing the "mainstream Muslim" position on issues as opposed to mine, that I have the creds to make that claim :P

Faith is about believing in something you can't see, touch or prove, and there is most likely going to be some discomfort in accessing beliefs that aren't entirely your own to also accept those in the faith which you do accept unconditionally. At this time in history, Muslims, in particular, are having to grapple with debatable attitudes and beliefs toward other faiths that some Muslims accept as binding on us all. This is exposing the chasms that the lack of a central authority in Islam has allowed. Who speaks for Islam? is a central question today because no one really does other than Allah, and we have given ourselves permission to pick and chose what we accept from His Message.

I know no Muslims who believe as the Taliban do that all remnants of other faiths must be erased from their proximity. Unlike Al Qaida, I know few who believe that all non-Muslims and less militant Muslims must be eliminated from Earth so that a "pure" Calipate can rule. Most Muslims I know don't want to oppress women in the way tribal interpretations of God's Will do. So, in that way, Muslim are obliged to pick and choose in regards to what Allah intends for us.

There's a big difference between accepting the religion you 'inherit' and making a decision to 'adopt' one (either because you weren't 'given' one, or because you decided to convert - for whatever reason). I think that people who 'chose' their religion would more strictly adhere to it than those who don't. Some people do make the decision to REALLY accept the one they're 'given', while others (me in the past) just follow what they were taught. And of course, some choose a different religion - or none at all.

I'm not claiming that anyone does (or even possibly can) completely follow a religion. I don't know if it's even possible. My understanding is that we're just supposed to continually improve and strive for 'perfection' of belief, thought, and action.

I'm just saying that I'm not going to convert to a religion unless I really believe it's the "right" one... "true" one? Not sure the exact word I want here. If you join a club, then decide you don't like it or don't agree with what they do, you quit. Joining a religion is SO much more than that. I haven't received some type of heavenly sign that tells me I should believe in anything in particular. I'm not being flippant - I just sometimes have difficulty finding the right way to phrase things. Sorry if I'm coming off the wrong way to anyone.

Now, as far as the religion I was born and baptized into... nothing against it. I'm not completely convinced, though. I wonder which parts of it came from God, and which parts came from the humans 'in charge'. I want to follow God's Way, not somebody else's interpretation of it. Maybe it's just my personality or something. I think if others are happy with their religion, then that's wonderful. I hope some day I will receive some sort of divine message that will guide me. For now, I'll do my best, and live my life the best way I can.

Even if I don't identify with a religion, I still have faith. Just believing in God is faith.

Also, it's the contention of some of those in the 'higher' positions in some religions that people need to follow some of the most central parts of that religion to consider themselves part of the religion. An example - the saying "You can't be Catholic and Pro-Abortion". I don't know if anyone is ever excommunicated anymore or not. I don't think someone should consider themselves part of a religion if they don't really believe that some of the most central beliefs of that religion are things they have to follow/believe in. I don't mean that we can't be imperfect humans - like I said, none of us can follow anything 100%. But to say, for example, "I'm Catholic" while thinking that there's no reason not to cheat on your spouse is illogical. I think if you're a Catholic who cheats on his or her spouse, you need to try to repent and change that behavior, not think it's ok to continue it. It is one of the Ten Commandments, after all.

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Not telling you to go one way or the other, but how long ago was it that you were kicked out of Sunday school? You might find that the Catholic Church has outstanding resources to answer all of your questions. With the help of Google and such, no one will have to put you in the corner.

Best of luck in finding your way!

If a kid is "kicked out of Catholic Sunday school" how much can kid be held accountable for "knowing better?"

Kids are given a pass in life, up to a certain point, because they are not capable or responsible of knowing certain things or being a willing participant in adult relationships or being able to sign legal contracts. They just don't know any better. :blink:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this is quick and rambling....I was born Catholic, grew up Christian and finally I converted from being agnostic (if that is even something you can convert from) after meeting my Muslim husband and actually kinda argued with him about Islam initially(I was misinformed and he opened my eyes) at first and I was pleasantly surprised at what I found when looking up what he as I already lived my life much how the Quran advises us to do and felt I had found my "true religion" calling me. I was so excited and found a sense of peace with Islam...however fast forward to now...I now also have the sense that many Muslim men have controlled too much of Islam and have bent the rules of Islam to fit their needs/way of life (not unlike many religions) but, don't feel like I belong anywhere or can practice with other women here in America...I feel like such an outsider being a convert...if I were living in a Muslim country I would feel so much more comfortable, but that is not possible...so here I am...I read the Quran occasionally, try to be a good person, but have not been able to go to the local mosque because most mosques are male dominated...I wouldn't even know what to do and am afraid of making a mistake in prayers....so I prefer to pray at home the way I learned when I was young and feel Allah/God won't judge me as he is loving...I know some people may attack me for doing it all wrong, but that is between me and Allah/God......my husband isn't very religious and neither am I, but we believe. I wish I were living in a MENA country with all the nice customs and even Hijab...but as it stands.....we live in the U.S so....

389672_3802055654913_1108709116_n.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Sorry this is quick and rambling....I was born Catholic, grew up Christian and finally I converted from being agnostic (if that is even something you can convert from) after meeting my Muslim husband and actually kinda argued with him about Islam initially(I was misinformed and he opened my eyes) at first and I was pleasantly surprised at what I found when looking up what he as I already lived my life much how the Quran advises us to do and felt I had found my "true religion" calling me. I was so excited and found a sense of peace with Islam...however fast forward to now...I now also have the sense that many Muslim men have controlled too much of Islam and have bent the rules of Islam to fit their needs/way of life (not unlike many religions) but, don't feel like I belong anywhere or can practice with other women here in America...I feel like such an outsider being a convert...if I were living in a Muslim country I would feel so much more comfortable, but that is not possible...so here I am...I read the Quran occasionally, try to be a good person, but have not been able to go to the local mosque because most mosques are male dominated...I wouldn't even know what to do and am afraid of making a mistake in prayers....so I prefer to pray at home the way I learned when I was young and feel Allah/God won't judge me as he is loving...I know some people may attack me for doing it all wrong, but that is between me and Allah/God......my husband isn't very religious and neither am I, but we believe. I wish I were living in a MENA country with all the nice customs and even Hijab...but as it stands.....we live in the U.S so....

Salam sis! I know how you feel sometimes about the masjids. It also depends where you live, which is unfortunate. There are 2 big masjids by me. One is very liberal and modern and the other is all arab. I go to both of them, but I don't have any friends :( Without that Muslim support group, it's harder to stay close to the deen. Alhamdoliallah though for the internet as there are some lovely Muslims who give lots of support.

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.