fxfmark

Calling USCIS

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My attorny told me never to call the uscis he said that it can delay my case.

Is that true? I have asked them a few questions like is there a faster way to process and a few simple other questions

no evidence that calling the USCIS helps your case either... so bottom line... no effect one way or another

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Is that true? I have asked them a few questions like is there a faster way to process and a few simple other questions

Unless your attorney has concrete evidence that calling USCIS has delayed cases in the past, I would disregard his advice as he is obviously uninformed. Also, make sure you are using a lawyer because you really need one (i.e. you have a tough, unique case with red flags) and not because you don't want to take time to research and do this yourself.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

That attorney may also advise against using a site like Visa Journey as well, considering that both sources are free and he could make some money if you ask him instead.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did that attorney also tell you that monsters live in your closet?

Seriously. It amazes me at what these lawyers tell people.

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've called the USCIS dozens of times. Sometimes they can be helpful other times they know the answer and won't tell you because of legal reasons. I've asked customer service level people to upgrade my call to a supervisor. The supervisors know more. I expect your attorney doesn't want you to figure out that you can without legal help figure out what to do? I also called the Manila Embassy dozens of times too and if I hadn't they would have screwed things up e.g. mispelled my fiance's name. My attorney never would have followed the case as close as I did. So, my advice is to follow your case closely.

Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Sorry to tell you this, but that is ridiculous. When you call the USCIS, you get a call center. They have no way to delay or speed up your case. They can merely answer your questions, and even that is not known to be highly accurate. Just curious as to why you need an attny for a K1 visa. Unless you have a complicated case, the process is pretty easy and self explanatory with help from VJ. The general consensus here is that attorneys can slow down your particular case anyway. They may have many cases to deal with and cannot give yours individual attention. But you only have your case to deal with.

In any case, good luck to you, and no...calling the USCIS won't help speed things up, but also can't slow things down.

Edited to say: it DOES make me wonder though if your attny is afraid you might find things out on your own and wonder why you need him at all. If you can't call the USCIS with questions you want to ask them, it only leaves you to depend on him for the answers. I am sure he would recommend against finding out info online too.

-Blu-

Edited by Wyld Blu

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Triplicate posts moved and merged with post in correct forum. There is no need to post a question in more than one forum. It is now in the correct forum.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I've called the USCIS dozens of times. Sometimes they can be helpful other times they know the answer and won't tell you because of legal reasons. I've asked customer service level people to upgrade my call to a supervisor. The supervisors know more. I expect your attorney doesn't want you to figure out that you can without legal help figure out what to do? I also called the Manila Embassy dozens of times too and if I hadn't they would have screwed things up e.g. mispelled my fiance's name. My attorney never would have followed the case as close as I did. So, my advice is to follow your case closely.

Good luck

Thank you very much.

The only reason I did use a attorny is my girl speaks good english but every time I sent her a form she only understood part of it and the attorny has a Thai staff to speak to her.

Mark

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
That attorney may also advise against using a site like Visa Journey as well, considering that both sources are free and he could make some money if you ask him instead.

How did you know about the monsters LOL

Thanks any info about your journey would help

Mark

Unless your attorney has concrete evidence that calling USCIS has delayed cases in the past, I would disregard his advice as he is obviously uninformed. Also, make sure you are using a lawyer because you really need one (i.e. you have a tough, unique case with red flags) and not because you don't want to take time to research and do this yourself.

Lawyers are by nature bottom-feeders (fish that thrive in the muck & slime). The overwhelming evidence is that lawyers only

prolong cases (divorce is the typical example, because if both parties agree on the separation of assets & children issues, a lawyer

is not necessary - mediation is cheaper and quicker).

Your lawyer will not be "handling" your case as much as his/her law clerks - the lawyer knows 99% of the visa process is

paperwork/bureaucracy and it's the law clerk that takes care of these. You STILL have to check that work because the

devil is in the details and it's YOUR obligation to provide the lawyer with the details. The USCIS won't care who your lawyer

is but the USCIS will come to YOU when there are problems with your details. Any excuse your lawyer makes will not make

this any better. If there are many red flags (you are in violation of one or more of the requirements outlined in the process)

a lawyer may be able to find a way to help, but whether the lawyer helps or not the lawyer WILL require payment in full.

Every lawyer's contract says there is no guarantee of results. If you have read all the guides and you can see you won't be

in violation of anything, there is no reason to use a lawyer. Any written instructions you give your lawyer may be mis-read

or copied with a typo on a form which may result in an RFE.

The speed and accuracy of responses on VJ beat the hell out of trying to get a straight answer from your lawyer.

I tried to get a straight answer from 2 lawyers, the American Bar Association and a judge's law clerk to a very

simple question (regarding how to switch lawyers) and NONE came across - only a lawyer I knew at work who had

no interest in the case was able to answer my question in about 30 seconds.

The process is complex and sometimes confusing. Most all of the questions that this dilemma presents will have viable

answers somewhere in VJ. Use the search function. Go to the appropriate posting area and learn the general differences

between posting areas. When in doubt ask an experienced poster or a moderator. Moderators don't want people posting

in the wrong area and will be glad to explain the difference. That saves them the time of moving an incorrectly located post.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Just "PS" to my previous post...

The OP's question also has to be taken in the context of TIME - if the lawyer was

advising the client not to call the USCIS with the idea that it would cause delay,

that would tend to make sense if the OP was thinking of calling the USCIS with

a complaint about a delay in a case in which the OP had (for example) got his

NOA1 two weeks prior to the phone call.

If on the other hand, the call to USCIS was just for information, that would

result in no delay, nor should it result in a delay if the OP had got the NOA1

3 or more months before the phone call (with the expectation that the NOA2

was due or over-due).

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No, it is not true. It will frustrate the HELL out of you though. My advice? Never call USCIS because it will only frustrate you. DUMP attorneys that lie to you or are ignorant.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.