stonewall1

Some help please decision to make

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ok here is the big ordeal.

She is here now we got married in 39 days after her arrival but in the mean time she got pregnant(This is great news for us BUT) Getting laid off in November I was told today and they said it will be at least 5 or 6 months until i am called back huhuhu..Now we have no insurance on her because they will not offer it to me at work because of the big lay off, And we cannot afford yet to pay for her 2 year residency and work permit yet either OMG my head is spinning.

What my question is does she qualify for any type of assistance being she is not a citizen or we have not filed her paperwork yet I am really worried right now. All I want is to make sure she is taken good care of and can see doctors she needs I don't care about any money just medical.

We live in Ohio

Edited by stonewall1

All things are possible with God

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

She is here now we got married in 39 days after her arrival but in the mean time she got pregnant(This is great news for us BUT) Getting laid off in November I was told today and they said it will be at least 5 or 6 months until i am called back huhuhu..Now we have no insurance on her because they will not offer it to me at work because of the big lay off, And we cannot afford yet to pay for her 2 year residency and work permit yet either OMG my head is spinning.

What my question is does she qualify for any type of assistance being she is not a citizen or we have not filed her paperwork yet I am really worried right now. All I want is to make sure she is taken good care of and can see doctors she needs I don't care about any money just medical.

We live in Ohio

COBRA?

YMMV

Timeline

We live in Ohio

Dear Ohio

Is your wife Pinay? You do qualify for being in a helluva situation! First, if you've been laid off you should be elgible for Unemployment Insurance during your lay off period. Second, you are also elgible to extend your Health Insurance benefits via COBRA but COBRA won't cover her. When you're back on the job you can add her to your health policy. If that's after her childbirth date then you might have to go to the county hospital or participating health provider and bill direct for time payments. As far as assistance goes probably not but contact the nearest local Philippino Association and ask for help. If you married during the 90 days you're cool. Don't worry about the AOS you have years to send that in. I suggest at least wait until you're working again. There's a controversy if the INS will consider your Unemployment as current income. I hope this helps. Good luck!

We live in Ohio

Dear Ohio

Is your wife Pinay? You do qualify for being in a helluva situation! First, if you've been laid off you should be elgible for Unemployment Insurance during your lay off period. Second, you are also elgible to extend your Health Insurance benefits via COBRA but COBRA won't cover her. When you're back on the job you can add her to your health policy. If that's after her childbirth date then you might have to go to the county hospital or participating health provider and bill direct for time payments. As far as assistance goes probably not but contact the nearest local Philippino Association and ask for help. If you married during the 90 days you're cool. Don't worry about the AOS you have years to send that in. I suggest at least wait until you're working again. There's a controversy if the INS will consider your Unemployment as current income. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you for the help my wife is Filipino from Dipolog. I am not worried about insurance for myself just her to help cover her only she is my #1 priority.

Timeline

We live in Ohio

COBRA is your legal right to extend your current Health Insurance after yoru job loss. Your company's HR dept must supply you with the information. Currently, Obama is paying 65% of the premium for the first 9 months.

We live in Ohio

COBRA is your legal right to extend your current Health Insurance after yoru job loss. Your company's HR dept must supply you with the information. Currently, Obama is paying 65% of the premium for the first 9 months.

Yes I understand about Cobra they will keep me on insurance but will not add her until I get called back because they cannot afford to pay the extra.

Timeline

We live in Ohio

Dear Ohio

Thank you for the help my wife is Filipino from Dipolog. I am not worried about insurance for myself just her to help cover her only she is my #1 priority.

My wife is from Butuan. We've been married for one week and I got laid off too. So, I feel part of your pain. I don't know for certain if teh INS will consider Unemployment Insurance as your current income on the I-864. I hope there is a local branch of the Philippino Association in your area and they can help out.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Please look into Medicaid option. COBRA is extremely expensive and you both could use that money for something else. Medicaid generally covers low income USC or even a lawfully admitted immigrants. Try this option to see if you guys are eligible. I pasted contact info below - this is the regional office that serves your state too. Call them please, it won't hurt to ask.

Organization Type: CMS RO - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Regional Office

Organization Name: CMS, Chicago Regional Office

Organization Description: Information on local seminars and health fairs on Medicare health plan choices, or to report a complaint directly to CMS.

Areas Covered: IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

Regions: V

Address: 233 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 600

Chicago, IL 60601

Contact Type: General Professional Contact

General Professional Contact Information: 233 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 600

Chicago, IL 60601

Local: (312) 886-6432

Fax: (312) 353-0252

Hours: 8:00 to 4:30

Web Site: www.cms.hhs.gov

- LB

Stay tune for yet another immi-saga in the life of LB & JD. Coming soon ---> AOS Chronicles

Please look into Medicaid option. COBRA is extremely expensive and you both could use that money for something else. Medicaid generally covers low income USC or even a lawfully admitted immigrants. Try this option to see if you guys are eligible. I pasted contact info below - this is the regional office that serves your state too. Call them please, it won't hurt to ask.

Organization Type: CMS RO - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Regional Office

Organization Name: CMS, Chicago Regional Office

Organization Description: Information on local seminars and health fairs on Medicare health plan choices, or to report a complaint directly to CMS.

Areas Covered: IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

Regions: V

Address: 233 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 600

Chicago, IL 60601

Contact Type: General Professional Contact

General Professional Contact Information: 233 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 600

Chicago, IL 60601

Local: (312) 886-6432

Fax: (312) 353-0252

Hours: 8:00 to 4:30

Web Site: www.cms.hhs.gov

I also hope you well to and back to work to regards to your wife from mine.

Janora thank you so much for this I hope it can help her it will be such a huge relief if it does.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

In Texas (I don't know about Ohio) you can go on medicaid for the child..which of course includes your wife because she is carrying the child. Prenatal care is covered in Texas through medicaid. You need to check with your state. The child after all is an American Citizen..or will be and all rights, benefits and privileges should be afforded to the child. After the baby is born you could purchase CHIPS or SCHIPS for the child. I think it runs 50.00 or less. Like I said check with your state. You wife would have to covered through private insurance or your employer.

In Texas (I don't know about Ohio) you can go on medicaid for the child..which of course includes your wife because she is carrying the child. Prenatal care is covered in Texas through medicaid. You need to check with your state. The child after all is an American Citizen..or will be and all rights, benefits and privileges should be afforded to the child. After the baby is born you could purchase CHIPS or SCHIPS for the child. I think it runs 50.00 or less. Like I said check with your state. You wife would have to covered through private insurance or your employer.

Thank you also for the information i will make the calls tomorrow we also do not want it to affect her AOS at all since we can not afford it yet and will not apply until I am back to work.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Every state has a federally funded program for pre-natal and post-natal care for women without insurance, and also well baby care. Check with your local social services department

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Every state has a federally funded program for pre-natal and post-natal care for women without insurance, and also well baby care. Check with your local social services department

I agree, even some states have locally funded medical assistance programs specifically for women and children. No matter what happens, the baby will be covered after birth. Check your local Social Services website. They just don't EVER deny a pregnant woman healthcare. I've never seen it.

BTW, congratulations!! :luv:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We live in Ohio

Check this website http://jfs.ohio.gov/OHP/consumers/familychild.stm

I work in a pediatric office here in san mateo, ca. We always get patients with no insurance, health plan of san mateo provides a one month temporary insurance. All they have to do is fill up a form and then evaluate if they qualify. Before the one month temporary insurance is over, the member should call the insurance company if she/he will continue her coverage and just pay for very low rate per month. Healthy families and kids have $5 copay per visit and $0 for well baby check-up, medical is $0. I think every state has their government health plan that helps unemployed or laid off people. Try to inquire in your state. And congratulation on your new angel.

K1 Process:
April 22, 2008 I-129F NOA1
Aug. 25, 2008 I-129F NOA2
Aug. 28, 2008 NVC left
Sept. 09, 2008 Consulate received
Sept. 16, 2008 Appointment notice received
Sept. 23, 2008 Filed Jap. police clearance
Sept. 24-25, 2008 Medical exam Done. Thank God I'm healthy
Oct. 03, 2008 Interview date
Nov. 11, 2008 Got a call from Jap. Embassy PC ready for pick up
Nov. 13, 2008 Picked up and submitted the Police clearance to USEM
Nov. 28, 2008 Visa is ready for delivery
Dec. 02, 2008 Visa in transit to Cebu (delayed bcuz Dec. 1 was holiday)
Dec. 03, 2008 Visa received abot na jud tawn Thank you Lord.
Dec. 08, 2008 POE Hawaii, Honolulu
Dec. 09, 2008 Got married (wedding and honeymoon in Hawaii)
Dec. 12, 2008 Newly wed couple flew to SFO, CA

AOS Process:
Feb. 04, 2009 USCIS received AOS docs.
Feb. 12, 2009 NOA received (AOS and EAD)
Feb. 13, 2009 Biometrics appointment received
Feb. 25, 2009 Biometrics schedule (10 AM) San Francisco DONE
March 14, 2009 Received interview schedule
April 11, 2009 Received EAD card
April 21, 2009 Interview (APPROVED) (2 months 17 days from filing)

April 28, 2009 Welcome Letter received
May 2, 2009 GREEN CARD received (2 months and 29 days)
May 22, 2009 Filed SSN
May 24, 2009 Got SSN at SSA
June 11, 2009 SSN Card received in mail

Naturalization

April 30, 2013 N-400 mailed (i used regular mail not express)

May 3, 2013 NOA priority date (received in mail 05/09/13)
May 8, 2013 Check cashed out, received text and email (N-400 accepted)

May 31, 2013 Biometrics

June 4, 2013 In Line

June 6, 2013 Received email and text N400 has been scheduled
June 10, 2013 Received letter in mail
July 16, 2013 Interview @3:30pm SFO

qlko09mo73vl.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.