100% Al Ahly Fan

MENA Baby Names

98 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
We had a hard time agreeing on a name. I think girls' names would have been easier. Wadi insisted on an Arabic/Moroccan name, and I insisted on a name that would work with my American family as well. The choices were limited - basically I had a short list of Arabic names that I thought would work and he chose Adam from those. However, I don't think that Adam is even on the official list of acceptable Moroccan names, so we might have problems in the future, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Really, why?

Boy: Gabriel, Nigel, or Julian

Girl: Rosemary or Rose

oh nice! ... Gabriel...I'm a huge Heroes fan. :devil::thumbs:

I pushed hard for Sylar, but that got vetoed. sliced.gif

What about Hiro? :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
We had a hard time agreeing on a name. I think girls' names would have been easier. Wadi insisted on an Arabic/Moroccan name, and I insisted on a name that would work with my American family as well. The choices were limited - basically I had a short list of Arabic names that I thought would work and he chose Adam from those. However, I don't think that Adam is even on the official list of acceptable Moroccan names, so we might have problems in the future, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Really, why?

No idea. I've never seen this list though - only heard through the grapevine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:lol:

heck i wanted winchester remington, colt ruger, something like that - and i was overruled. :crying:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

heck i wanted winchester remington, colt ruger, something like that - and i was overruled. :crying:

thank god for Nessa! Whewww...winchester! :unsure::whistle:

Timeline

No Lee Enfield? :lol: I guess Howitzer sounded too foreign. :bonk:

IR5

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Actually, this is a subject we've been discussing a lot lately, because we found out there is another MenaWeed on the way, inshaAllah :) We have been debating it a lot, because Ahmed really wants a name that goes both ways in English and Arabic without being translated. So far we've come up with:

Girls:

Layla, Maryam, Maia, Arwa, Nourai, and a few others I can't recall right now...

Boys:

Aiman, Amir, Adham (He really likes this one, me not so much), Amar (he doesn't like this, because he says it's not Arabic... Umm, hello, the Imam on Little Mosque on the Prairie! :P ) I don't know how we got stuck on so many A names. :)

Congratulations!!!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Jenn - I think you'll be ok with Adam - Mikhail's name got through! There is some rules about having an Arabic name for children and names like Sarah and Adam which are considered anglicized (i guess) were not always being accepted. However with one foreign parent I think they are much more lenient.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline
Jenn - I think you'll be ok with Adam - Mikhail's name got through! There is some rules about having an Arabic name for children and names like Sarah and Adam which are considered anglicized (i guess) were not always being accepted. However with one foreign parent I think they are much more lenient.

I depends on how you pronounce the name. Both are Qur'anic and Biblical so maybe I'm missing the point of the argument. Adam is the same Adam (s.a.w.) in the Garden of Eden and Sara (r.a.) is the same Sara who was the wife of Abraham (Ibrahim (s.a.w.)) (Qur'an 11:71-73, 51:28-30). What's wrong with Mikhail (a.s.) (Qur'an 2:98), is the name of angel who is said to control the weather not good enough? Pardon my French ladies but #######????? Am I missing something?

IR5

I depends on how you pronounce the name. Both are Qur'anic and Biblical so maybe I'm missing the point of the argument. Adam is the same Adam (s.a.w.) in the Garden of Eden and Sara (r.a.) is the same Sara who was the wife of Abraham (Ibrahim (s.a.w.)) (Qur'an 11:71-73, 51:28-30). What's wrong with Mikhail (a.s.) (Qur'an 2:98), is the name of angel who is said to control the weather not good enough? Pardon my French ladies but #######????? Am I missing something?

whose argument, morocco's? good luck trying to make any sense of it. according to this story, "Moroccan law requires first names to have "a Moroccan character" ", but they'll refuse amazigh names as well. the whole thing is completely knackered.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sharifah my mom's name is also Amal so I like that one but I can understand Ahmed's point about not wanting to yell his mom's name to his daughter. I also always said that I would never marry an Ahmed or Mohamed since they are so common but what do you know I was first engaged to a Mohamed and now im married to an Ahmad.......lol. For boys, I like Zaki, Zak, Ali, Omar, and Amir. For girls, I like Layla, Amira, Aaliyah, and Nora. I really enjoyed this thread because it gave me such great ideas for names. We have had a hard time picking out names because we want them to work here in the US and in Egypt.

Embassy Journey

2009-11-15 : Case at US Embassy in Cairo

2009-10-26 : Medical Exam@4pm

2009-10-28 : Medical Exam results given

2009-11-09 : Interview Date @ 9am

2009-11-09 to 2010-01-21 AP

2010-02-02: Visa Issued

2010-02-06 : Visa in Hand

2010-02-11 : U.S. Entry

U.S. Journey

2010-03-01 : Social Security card received

2010-03-04 : Welcome to the US letter received in the mail

2010-03-11 : Green card received

2010-04-04 : Ahmad got a J-O-B (Alhamdullah!)

2010-05-22 : Ahmad got his DL

wedding.jpg

oBhem5.png

Timeline

whose argument, morocco's? good luck trying to make any sense of it. according to this story, "Moroccan law requires first names to have "a Moroccan character" ", but they'll refuse amazigh names as well. the whole thing is completely knackered.

What no Zinedine, no Rahman, jeez Louise those folks are nucking futs! :angry:

IR5

Timeline
Sharifah my mom's name is also Amal so I like that one but I can understand Ahmed's point about not wanting to yell his mom's name to his daughter. I also always said that I would never marry an Ahmed or Mohamed since they are so common but what do you know I was first engaged to a Mohamed and now im married to an Ahmad.......lol. For boys, I like Zaki, Zak, Ali, Omar, and Amir. For girls, I like Layla, Amira, Aaliyah, and Nora. I really enjoyed this thread because it gave me such great ideas for names. We have had a hard time picking out names because we want them to work here in the US and in Egypt.

Your choices of boys names are fine. Omar has a fantastic pedigree. Omar as in Bradley, the five star general who stormed the beaches at Normandy and Omar (Umar) as in one of the Rasidun (#2), the hammer, the enforcer, Commander of the Faithful. There aren't too many Noras out there so it would my choice. Going with nicknames is an option, e.g. Shakeel (Shaquille) becomes Shak or Shelly, Syed becomes Sid or Syd, Rahim becomes Ray, especially if you have a name you like but can't figure out if the average American would be able to handle it, that's the way to do it. The name on the birth certificate would be the proper name. Of course, if you decide to go with Hind bin 'Utba... :lol:

IR5

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.