100% Al Ahly Fan

MENA Baby Names

98 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well there is Ishmail and Ismail. Most Arabs are Ismails. I do think most Westerners assume it's Ishmail because of the Bible but if it's written on a paper or verbally told to you as Ismail then there's no excuse for the mistake.

Edited by ya fallaha!

Well there is Ishmail and Ismail. Most Arabs are Ismails. I do think most Westerners assume it's Ishmail because of the Bible but if it's written on a paper or verbally told to you as Ismail then there's no excuse for the mistake.

I dated a cuban guy for a few years named Ismael (iz-meye-el). No one really messed up his full name, but nearly everyone called him "Ish".

Edited by LaL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Rrrr, Jannah is the name of our (future inshaAllah) daughter :ranting: We called dibs on it in, like, 2003. It was Mom'en and Jannah.

Other names:

Rabia (as in al-Adawiyya), Tasneem (for the fountain in Paradise) for a girl

Salah (as in Salahuh Deen) for a boy

If I knew I were having 4 boys, I'd name em Abu Bakr, Uthman, Umar and Ali. But I'm thinking after 2 or 3 I'll have had enough.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

There's a vj member whose daughter's name is my fave girl name and if I ever have another child and it's a girl I'd ask if I they mind that I use it. My husband loves the name Yasmeen because of his niece but two Yasmeens are not necessary in the immediate family. I like the name but it's overkill for the family.

Timeline

Speaking of overkill....can we say, Ahmed? I always told myself I would never marry anyone named Ahmed or Mohamed (I've got like 6 of 'em in my family alone). Well see what I went and did, I married an Ahmed and inshaAllah if we have kids, I'll have to give them the name Ahmed too since we are Muslims and of course sticking to islamic tradition of giving the child the fathers name as their middle name.

Everyone seems to love the name Omar too. To many people have that name that name -- including me, my son's middle name is after his dad's chosen Muslim name of Omar. And speaking of not saying names right, no one ever say Omar right. It's more like Umm-mar.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

I don't see middle names as overkill since if there are 5 kids then of course 5 of whatever the dad's name is. My husband is a Mohamed and there are a bunch of those in the family. There are a few Suhanda, too. I would want a somewhat original name or rarely used name in the family to go along with the Mohamed.

Edited by ya fallaha!

Timeline

I just thought of my own name, many people SOOOOOO butcher it! I can't tell ya how many times I've been called Share-eef-ahh! My poor boy suffers from it too. People call him, Ta-reek, but it's really pronounced Tar-rick. Oh the joys of Middle Eastern names

Oh and UmmS, I've had the name Jennah chosen for a future daughter since I was like 12 years old. We are talking over 20 years ago! Anywho, it can't hurt to have more then one Jennah in the world since it's such a beautiful name.

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

Yeah the names do get butchered...Tareek, Kalid (instead of Khalid), Kalil (instead of Khalil), etc. My son's name is Zayd but ppl are constantly saying Zayed. There's no "e" in his name! Mohamed is always being called Moe-ham-ed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Girl:

Layla

Amina

Boy:

Mehdi

Omar

Yaseen

Amine

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: Timeline

Girl:

Nour/Noor

Rania

Dalia

Boy:

Zain

Ziad

Eyad/Eiad

Jennah is one of my gf's daughters names and when she was naming her she had asked people on fb for feedback and 3 seperate folks (American no Arab connections and two women) said it reminded them of Jenna Jamesson ... SO HECK NO to that name ever. Oh well... :whistle::unsure:

Timeline

Well Annie since you put it that way I'd have a hard time naming a Muslim daughter Jennah, lol. It's an ok name but too "American" sounding for my taste. Plus, ppl would pronounce it Jenna.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

boys name Ali Ahmed Samy

girl we havent decided yet

Ahmed likes Sarah Rose

I like Abbyrose

K-3 Journey

06-26-2008 married the love of my life

02-17-2009 I-130 sent

03-16-2009 I-130 NOA

05-06-2009 I-129F sent

05-19-2009 I-130 approval

05-20-2009 I-129F NOA2

05-29-2009 NVC Received

05-29-2009 NVC Left

06-01-2009 Consulate Received

06-20-2009 Packet 3 Received

08-20-2009 Packet 3 Sent

09-12-2009 resent in packet 3

09-22-2009 Packet 4 Received

10-13-2009 Interview

Interview rescheduled on 10-07-2009 for 10-22-2009

11-4-2009 Fax the letter requesting Ahmed's Police Record from France

XX-XX-2009 Visa Received

XX-XX-2009 US Entry

event.png

Timeline
Jennah is one of my gf's daughters names and when she was naming her she had asked people on fb for feedback and 3 seperate folks (American no Arab connections and two women) said it reminded them of Jenna Jamesson ... SO HECK NO to that name ever. Oh well... :whistle::unsure:

Hmmm.....okay so...UmmS you can have that name :whistle: It's true, people wouldn't say it right anyways. Geez, twenty years of loving a name got changed with a quickness!

So now it's down to Zaynab. Hmm...whatelse, I really like the name Amal (again people would NOT say this right), that was my MIL's name, but Ahmed told me we can't have that name because he wouldn't want to yell at someone with his mother's name :wacko:

So that means Zaynab or Layla (<--Ahmed likes this name) are in and Jennah is out! Oh and Ahmed informed me that if we are blessed with a boy, he wants to name it Fathi.....no offence to anyone with that name, BUT let's just say Ahmed will NOT be naming our boy child :huh:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.