100% Al Ahly Fan

MENA Baby Names

98 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I'm supposed to be working right now, but no supervisors in clinic today, so I am totally gonna BS today! Yay for me! Anywho......just for sh!ts and giggles, thought I'd see what everyone would name a boy and girl if you ever had a child with your SO. Here's mine.....

Boy: Mazin or Abdulrahman

Girl: Zaynab or Jennah

I vote for Mazin for the boy because too many people will have trouble with Abdulrahman

and Im on the fence with the girl names, but im leaning towards Jenna

are you going to get to work on this as soon as hubby comes home?!? :P

Ditto that Y's_habibitk! I like Mazin and Jennah! Both are very nice!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ohh no one said my favorite yet! First my boys: Mikhail Alexander (spelled Mik'aeel in the ME and Khalil Ibrahim - my MIL chose - however I also liked:

Boys:

Laith

Tahir

Tariq

Girls:

Kenza Jolie- this was going to be Khalil's name if he was a girl (my mom's nameis Julie) (if inshallah we have a girl one day but probably not this IS her name!)

Amera

Arrabella (not Arabic but always wanted that name)

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

if ayah had been a boy, she would have been called idriss. i'm also partial to the name eman for a baby girl. very fond of zainab as well (that's my preferred spelling of it.)

umm...i actually met a little girl named tasneem today. she was a little sweetheart!

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Timeline
if ayah had been a boy, she would have been called idriss. i'm also partial to the name eman for a baby girl. very fond of zainab as well (that's my preferred spelling of it.)

umm...i actually met a little girl named tasneem today. she was a little sweetheart!

Oh! I love that...what a sweet name.

Jennah is one of my gf's daughters names and when she was naming her she had asked people on fb for feedback and 3 seperate folks (American no Arab connections and two women) said it reminded them of Jenna Jamesson ... SO HECK NO to that name ever. Oh well... :whistle::unsure:

Hmmm.....okay so...UmmS you can have that name :whistle: It's true, people wouldn't say it right anyways. Geez, twenty years of loving a name got changed with a quickness!

So now it's down to Zaynab. Hmm...whatelse, I really like the name Amal (again people would NOT say this right), that was my MIL's name, but Ahmed told me we can't have that name because he wouldn't want to yell at someone with his mother's name :wacko:

So that means Zaynab or Layla (<--Ahmed likes this name) are in and Jennah is out! Oh and Ahmed informed me that if we are blessed with a boy, he wants to name it Fathi.....no offence to anyone with that name, BUT let's just say Ahmed will NOT be naming our boy child :huh:

That's the problem I think...how people will "think" its pronounced. Ughhh..oh well no matter what we have had issues too. Zain and Nour both have had their names messed up and I thought those were simple enough. LOL

I just thought of my own name, many people SOOOOOO butcher it! I can't tell ya how many times I've been called Share-eef-ahh! My poor boy suffers from it too. People call him, Ta-reek, but it's really pronounced Tar-rick. Oh the joys of Middle Eastern names

Oh and UmmS, I've had the name Jennah chosen for a future daughter since I was like 12 years old. We are talking over 20 years ago! Anywho, it can't hurt to have more then one Jennah in the world since it's such a beautiful name.

since hubby's arrival he gets Ta-reek too :hehe:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Actually, this is a subject we've been discussing a lot lately, because we found out there is another MenaWeed on the way, inshaAllah :) We have been debating it a lot, because Ahmed really wants a name that goes both ways in English and Arabic without being translated. So far we've come up with:

Girls:

Layla, Maryam, Maia, Arwa, Nourai, and a few others I can't recall right now...

Boys:

Aiman, Amir, Adham (He really likes this one, me not so much), Amar (he doesn't like this, because he says it's not Arabic... Umm, hello, the Imam on Little Mosque on the Prairie! :P) I don't know how we got stuck on so many A names. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

That's awesome! Congrats to you and your family!! May God bless you always!

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline
That's awesome! Congrats to you and your family!! May God bless you always!

Thank you! We are very excited :) And a little nervous, on my part, since I still have to finish this last year of nursing school... :blink:

Filed: Timeline
Actually, this is a subject we've been discussing a lot lately, because we found out there is another MenaWeed on the way, inshaAllah :) We have been debating it a lot, because Ahmed really wants a name that goes both ways in English and Arabic without being translated. So far we've come up with:

Girls:

Boys:

Aiman, Amir, Adham (He really likes this one, me not so much), Amar (he doesn't like this, because he says it's not Arabic... Umm, hello, the Imam on Little Mosque on the Prairie! :P) I don't know how we got stuck on so many A names. :)

:dance: Congrats!!! (F)

Take your time .... you will "just know" when you find that perfect name. I had several in mind and when the twins were born...we just "knew" that the names were perfect. Nour's eyes were bright and wide open she was my light! and Zain well his yelling crying squishy face was so beautiful (handsome) when he was comfy, calm and close to my chest...so the meaning of their names fit them.

Timeline

Girls:

Boys:

Take your time .... you will "just know" when you find that perfect name. I had several in mind and when the twins were born...we just "knew" that the names were perfect. Nour's eyes were bright and wide open she was my light! and Zain well his yelling crying squishy face was so beautiful (handsome) when he was comfy, calm and close to my chest...so the meaning of their names fit them.

agreed! I tried to explain to A that even if we chose a name now, that once we meet the little guy/girl, it could seem like the completely wrong name. He had no idea what I was talking about and told me a name is a name :P Having had a child before, though, I know that a name is definitely NOT just a name... I can't imagine my daughter being anything but Abigail, and I knew that when I saw her for the first time :) But he is the type that wants to get everything settled and set it stone, which I don't blame him for. But I reserve the right to change names up until the last minute :P The name that I REALLY wanted was Sofia, even though it's become super popular, but he says it would be a weird name in Egypt.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Congrats Amy!

I forgot to mention I love the name Ayah, but we already got one in the family, same with Sophia...

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Girls:

Boys:

Aiman, Amir, Adham (He really likes this one, me not so much), Amar (he doesn't like this, because he says it's not Arabic... Umm, hello, the Imam on Little Mosque on the Prairie! :P ) I don't know how we got stuck on so many A names. :)

That's because you brought your "A" game. :lol: Congratulations on your upcoming birth. I can't think of too many Arabic/English names. Better to go with nicknames sometimes but some names need no translation. Shakeel (Shaquille) or Shakira. Jamila becomes Mila. Zubear becomes Bear (mention the name Bear to anyone in Alabama and watch the reaction). Musa becomes Moose. Suleiman becomes Sully or Manny. Zakariyya becomes Zak or Zack. Yah-Yah becomes Y A (as in Y.A. Tittle) Adil was a name used on the Simpsons and who can forget Sideshow Rahim, so I guess it just depends. Bearing a Muslim or Arabic sounding name is coming back into vogue again. Hud is a name that people will associate with the famous movie from 1963 not the prophet. Malik is either King or Master depending on how you pronounce it. The first round draft pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs is a Muslim by the name of Nasim Kadri. Who really cares what your name is, it's the niyya that matters isn't it?

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Girls:

Boys:

Aiman, Amir, Adham (He really likes this one, me not so much), Amar (he doesn't like this, because he says it's not Arabic... Umm, hello, the Imam on Little Mosque on the Prairie! :P ) I don't know how we got stuck on so many A names. :)

agreed! I tried to explain to A that even if we chose a name now, that once we meet the little guy/girl, it could seem like the completely wrong name. He had no idea what I was talking about and told me a name is a name :P Having had a child before, though, I know that a name is definitely NOT just a name... I can't imagine my daughter being anything but Abigail, and I knew that when I saw her for the first time :) But he is the type that wants to get everything settled and set it stone, which I don't blame him for. But I reserve the right to change names up until the last minute :P The name that I REALLY wanted was Sofia, even though it's become super popular, but he says it would be a weird name in Egypt.

A good Egyptian name, what was he planning on naming her, Gamal Abdel Nasser. :lol: Sophia is a great name. I may be biased but it is a great name. :thumbs:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We had a hard time agreeing on a name. I think girls' names would have been easier. Wadi insisted on an Arabic/Moroccan name, and I insisted on a name that would work with my American family as well. The choices were limited - basically I had a short list of Arabic names that I thought would work and he chose Adam from those. However, I don't think that Adam is even on the official list of acceptable Moroccan names, so we might have problems in the future, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.