Der Bücherwurm

Should visa fees be raised for high fraud countries?

Raising visa fees for high fraud countries.  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should visa fees be raised for high fraud countries?

• Yes (I'm a USC.)
    • Yes (I'm the Beneficiary.)
    • No (I'm a USC.)
    • No (I'm the Beneficiary.)
    • Maybe (I'm a USC.)
    • Maybe (I'm the Beneficiary.)
  2. 2. Do you think it would cut down on the amount of greencard fraud if people had to pay more?

• Definitely (I'm a USC.)
    • Definitely (I'm the Beneficiary.)
    • Nope (I'm a USC.)
    • Nope (I'm the Beneficiary.)
    • Don't know (I'm a USC.)
    • Don't know (I'm the Beneficiary.)

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
High fraud countries already get extra scrutiny, and they don't get to participate in the diversity lottery. They tend to be high fraud out of desperation, because one way out of their situation is a green card in America. Best thing would be more education for the USC petitioner, so that he/she is aware of the scams going in.

That all said, wanting a green card and a new life in America is not fraud in itself, as many here would lead you to believe. And, making the immigrant wait more than two years before he/she can work, will lead to more stress, and a likely failed marriage. For the immigrant, nothing is more boring that waiting for permission to work, so he/she can start living the American dream, and help family back home.

:thumbs:

I agree that what needs to be done is what is already being done by way of extra scrutiny. I also agree that wanting out of the country and starting a life in the US is not fraud either. This would only apply if the applicant has intentions on dumping their spouse once they are free and clear. Some look for love outside of the country to get out, but are still in it for the long haul. It is the USC's responsibility to find out the true intentions of the man/woman before they start the process.

As for the diversity lottery, I know they have one in Morocco, and I thought they were considered a high fraud country. :unsure:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
What would be a better way to reduce fraud if you don't think higher fees for high fraud countries would help?

First it needs to be ascertained what countries are deemed to be determined as 'fraudulant countries'.What is the yardstick for a country to be declared a 'fraud country'?It is a very relative term.

I came across a news item some time ago that Italian police raided an unmarked office in Palermo and discovered dozens of fake passports and visas.

Now if that is considered a fraud then I doubt Italy would ever be designated as a "fraud country'.

On the other hand a poor third world country is more likely to be declared as such irrespective of how many fraud cases have been discovered.

Filed: Timeline
High fraud countries already get extra scrutiny, and they don't get to participate in the diversity lottery. They tend to be high fraud out of desperation, because one way out of their situation is a green card in America. Best thing would be more education for the USC petitioner, so that he/she is aware of the scams going in.

That all said, wanting a green card and a new life in America is not fraud in itself, as many here would lead you to believe. And, making the immigrant wait more than two years before he/she can work, will lead to more stress, and a likely failed marriage. For the immigrant, nothing is more boring that waiting for permission to work, so he/she can start living the American dream, and help family back home.

:thumbs:

I agree that what needs to be done is what is already being done by way of extra scrutiny. I also agree that wanting out of the country and starting a life in the US is not fraud either. This would only apply if the applicant has intentions on dumping their spouse once they are free and clear. Some look for love outside of the country to get out, but are still in it for the long haul. It is the USC's responsibility to find out the true intentions of the man/woman before they start the process.

As for the diversity lottery, I know they have one in Morocco, and I thought they were considered a high fraud country. :unsure:

Perhaps they are not as bad as others, or possibly, still under-represented, or fraud has nothing directly to do with the diversity lottery.

The diversity lottery was conducted under the terms of section 203© of the Immigration and Nationality Act and makes available *50,000 permanent resident visas annually to persons from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.

Natives of the following countries were not eligible to participate in DV-2008: Brazil, Canada, China (mainland-born, excluding Hong Kong S.A.R. and Taiwan), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Pakistan, Peru, the Philippines, Poland, Russia, South Korea, the United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and Vietnam.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1317.html

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

As some others have already said, there's no foolproof way to prevent visa fraud. You might be able to cut it down my a small amount, but if someone is really determined to enter the U.S., they'll find a way.

All this would do is hurt those who wish to immigrate legally. The fees are already high for many people and keeping couples apart simply for the "possible prevention" of fraud is counterproductive. The U.S. should WANT legal immigrates. With the huge stink about illegals coming into the country, keeping people from doing it the legal way will only serve to increase the illegal entries.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
High fraud countries already get extra scrutiny, and they don't get to participate in the diversity lottery.

Which countries specifically? The purpose of the the diversity lottery is to make PR visas available to countries w/ low immigration rates. I just looked at the 2010 results and I see all of the countries that are commonly considered "high-fraud" represented. Where did you get this information from?

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Cool that Nigeria isn't a high fraud country because they get about 5000 DV winners a year. Or do you mean the UK and Canada are high fraud because they can't apply for a DV visa ?

I think there are better ways to detect untruths than the old fashioned interview. Fraudsters have all the money in high fraud countries so forking out more fees would only mean a higher percentage of issued visas would be fraud based.

Lets trash the interview and bring out the lie detectors at all locations. We don't have to worry about rights as these people aren't citizens and have no rights. In fact shelf the lie detectors and bring on the sodium pentathol .

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Cool that Nigeria isn't a high fraud country because they get about 5000 DV winners a year. Or do you mean the UK and Canada are high fraud because they can't apply for a DV visa ?

I think there are better ways to detect untruths than the old fashioned interview. Fraudsters have all the money in high fraud countries so forking out more fees would only mean a higher percentage of issued visas would be fraud based.

Lets trash the interview and bring out the lie detectors at all locations. We don't have to worry about rights as these people aren't citizens and have no rights. In fact shelf the lie detectors and bring on the sodium pentathol .

:thumbs::rofl:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
WHOA. This poll is disgusting dude, #######.

Disgusting doesnt seem to be the appropriate adjective here. Perhaps you meant, "Poor taste." A story about a woman eating poo would be disgusting. Dig?

No, just a crappy story that no one would really give a $hit about it. :innocent:

DV has nothing to do with 'fraud'. It's based on the number of citizens each country 'exports' to the US per annum. Canada and the UK (excl. Nthrn Ireland) are not eligible because so many of our citizens immigrate. Nothing to do with fraud. Further more, the application criteria is on the basis of birth, not upbringing or citizenship. I am a UK citizen but was born in France, albeit to British parents, therefore could apply to the DV if so desired.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

No such list of high fraud country's would ever be compiled. It's discriminatory.

Meaning, if a significant raise in fee's were to occur, it would have to apply across the board. At this point you are pricing out the "average" american and beneficiary and only providing a benefit to those who are SIGNIFICANTLY wealthy enough to go through the process.

Massive fee hikes to discourage fraud would actually mean discriminating against no one but people like me and my husband, who are hard-working averagely earning individuals who could afford the process as it is now, but would have had to hold off for months / years if the process was anymore expensive.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

no

nope

beneficiary

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Raising the fee won't stop the fraud, but it will help pay for extra processing and investigation to try to keep them from actually making it here.

January 2009 - K-1 Denied by the consulate

January 2011 - Moved to India - Yikes!

October 2011 - DCF filing rejected by overzealous employee at the embassy

December 2011 - Tourist visa denied (not surprising)

March 2012 - CR1/IR1 process started

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Read about all the shenanigans of my relationship at American Punjaban PI