Mimino

Carrying green card on you?

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
I received my GC a couple of days ago, have made copies and will be carrying it at all times.

This whole immigration journey has been geared toward this little piece of plastic...and there is no way I am not having something to show for it if I am required to present it!

Actually for most on this forum this whole immigration journey has been geared towards another person they want to spend the rest of their life with. The GC is just one of the many bumps in that road.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
I received my GC a couple of days ago, have made copies and will be carrying it at all times.

This whole immigration journey has been geared toward this little piece of plastic...and there is no way I am not having something to show for it if I am required to present it!

Actually for most on this forum this whole immigration journey has been geared towards another person they want to spend the rest of their life with. The GC is just one of the many bumps in that road.

Also, remember that it costs about $300 to replace it if you lose it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I dont carry my GC with me.

Just curious, aside from exiting and entering the US.. what other instances will I be asked for my GC?

You're in southern California? Customs and Border Protection can and have set up inland border check points pretty much anywhere in southern California (and anywhere else within 100 miles of Mexico or the ocean). If you hit one of these, they just stop everyone and ask for proof of citizenship/residence and do a drug search.

These checkpoints have the same staff, the same officers, and that same procedures as if you were rolling in from Mexico. And if they catch you without your green card, it's not good news.

Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe now i'll consider taking my GC with me or I could tell them I am a US citizen. :devil:

snip

Shyeahhh... don't ever do that. :blink::bonk::lol:

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Other Timeline
I dont carry my GC with me.

Just curious, aside from exiting and entering the US.. what other instances will I be asked for my GC?

You're in southern California? Customs and Border Protection can and have set up inland border check points pretty much anywhere in southern California (and anywhere else within 100 miles of Mexico or the ocean). If you hit one of these, they just stop everyone and ask for proof of citizenship/residence and do a drug search.

These checkpoints have the same staff, the same officers, and that same procedures as if you were rolling in from Mexico. And if they catch you without your green card, it's not good news.

Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe now i'll consider taking my GC with me or I could tell them I am a US citizen. :devil:

snip

Shyeahhh... don't ever do that. :blink::bonk::lol:

Aliens who profess US citizenship to a US Customs and Border Agent are subject to a bar for life.

And it's the word of the agent against the alien. There does not have to be physical proof or witnesses.

Excuse me, but i am well aware of why I took my immigration journey and am incredibly happy to be with my husband, however I understand the importance of having a legal presence (and presentable proof of this when necessary) in this country. The GC is important to me, because it means that for at least two years I dont have to fear being separated from my husband.

Your insinuation is NOT welcome at all. Take it up with me in a PM next time you feel that your sarcastic point of view on my immigration intentions should be aired public. Dont point score with me buddy.

Also, remember that it costs about $300 to replace it if you lose it.

I dont care about the cost of replacing it. If it is a requirement for me to carry it...I always will. If someone "official" tells me otherwise, I will consider only carrying a copy with me.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
It is very rare to show your GC for any occasion since DL or state ID proves your identity, but it is still better to carry it with you.

If you live more than 100 miles away from a land or sea border [outside the area where CBP/ICE can legally set up "in-land border checkpoints], and especially if you live in a "sanctuary city" [cities where local law enforcement have been instructed to not cooperate particularly with federal immigration authorities. Wikipedia it.] the odds of you ever needing to show it are admittedly very low.

That being said, the law does require you to carry it, and there is a significant fine associated if you cannot produce it. And if you happen to live in the aforementioned so-called "Constitution-free zone" [Google it.] you absolutely MUST carry it. Not to do so will make your life miserable for no good reason.

I live in this area and never even heard of these. Maybe because I'm on the north border, not the south.

My Fiance: GuardianAngel

K-1 Visa Timeline:

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent: July 23, 2009

Check Cashed: July 29, 2009

NOA1: July 28, 2009

NOA2: October 21, 2009

Left NVC: October 28, 2009

Medical Passed: December 15/16, 2009

Interview Passed: January 19th, 2010

Air21 Confirmation: January 25, 2010

Visa received: January 26, 2010

CFO Completed: January 27th, 2010

Flight to US: Febuary 3rd, 2010

MARRIED!: March 20th, 2010

AOS Timeline:

AOS, EAD, AP Filed: April 29, 2010

AOS, EAD, AP NOA1: May 6th, 2010

EAD, AP Biometrics: May 25th, 2010

if you live in southern cali there is checkpoints set up 24/7 on north five at the power plant and north 15 at rainbow so down here there's mo way around it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
if you live in southern cali there is checkpoints set up 24/7 on north five at the power plant and north 15 at rainbow so down here there's mo way around it.

-

Edited by visacheck

12/29/2007 Got married in the Philippines
03/28/2008 Got 10yr B1/B2 visa
04/12/2008 Arrived in US under B1/B2 visa
08/06/2008 Filed I-539 visa extension
10/23/2008 I-539 approved
02/23/2009 USC wife filed I-130 Chicago Lockbox
02/26/2009 I-130 delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02/27/2009 Medical exam I-693
03/01/2009 Negative result on TB skin test
03/04/2009 I-130 received by California Service Center
03/05/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/06/2009 Medical Exam form I-693 released by civil surgeon
03/07/2009 NOA Receipt Notice for I-130
03/14/2009 Mailed I-485, I-864, I-693, I-765 & I-131 thru USPS
03/16/2009 "The Package" delivered to Chicago Lockbox
03/16/2009 I-94 expired after 11 months since arrival
03/25/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/26/2009 Received NOA for I-485, I-765, I-131
03/28/2009 Received notice for Biometrics Appointment (April 9)
04/02/2009 Approval Notice for I-130 received
04/09/2009 Biometrics done
05/07/2009 Received Advance Parole Document
05/08/2009 Received Interview Letter
05/09/2009 Received EAD card
05/11/2009 Applied for SSN
05/16/2009 Received SSN
06/23/2009 AOS interview approved
06/27/2009 Welcome Letter received
07/05/2009 Green Card received
06/01/2011 Mailed I-751 Form
06/07/2011 Received NOA for I-751
07/11/2011 Biometrics Done

03/19/2015 Mailed N-400

03/30/2015 NOA Received

04/15/2015 Biometrics Appointment

06/23/2015 Interview

07/22/2015 Oath Ceremony

If you want to see the law that requires you to carry your green card, it's INA 264(e)

(d) Every alien in the United States who has been registered and fingerprinted under the provisions of the Alien Registration Act, 1940, or under the provisions of this Act shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations issued by the Attorney General.

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

I haven't heard of this law being enforced very strictly. But it IS the law and it IS on the books.

That's one of the great benefits to applying for US Citizenship once you're eligible. When you become a citizen, you don't have to carry any documents with you.

Also note that, as already stated, if you falsely claim US Citizenship at any time, you're immediately deportable and permanently barred from re-entering the US, So if you're ever caught without your green card, do NOT try claiming US citizenship.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Timeline
I dont care about the cost of replacing it. If it is a requirement for me to carry it...I always will. If someone "official" tells me otherwise, I will consider only carrying a copy with me.

FINALLY someone with sense. :thumbs: to you sister.

The law is clear. Carry the damn thing or risk losing your status if the ####### hits the fan for whichever reason.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hey, all!

Do you have to carry the green card on you all the time after you get it?

Thanks,

mimino

Yes, keep it with you always. Keep it with your drivers lisence, credit cards, etc.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hey, all!

Do you have to carry the green card on you all the time after you get it?

Thanks,

mimino

It is required by law but in my almost 4 years of green card,I have never ever carried it on me,nor have I ever been asked to show one.

Doesn't matter. Alla has even been stopped by police for driving infractions (hey she is just learning and why do you have to stay beyween the lines anyway?)and offered her green card and they didn't even look at it, doesn't matter, you are supposed to carry it with you

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The reality is before 9/11 having to carry your green card was never an issue, if you didn't have it on you the chance of you facing any kind of trouble was unheard of. Now in the post 9/11 world the chance of you being asked are not only higher but the chance of you getting in serious trouble for not having it are also greater. If you live in Cali, Florida, Texas, ect I think you would have to be crazy to not carry it because I know how the police are there... insane, and total morons (and I come from a long line of police officers). In the mid west your far less likely to run into trouble but even then who knows?

Filed: Other Timeline

Do you know how much it will cost when you lose your GC, together with your wallet, your driver license, and all of your credit cards?

My GC is where my passport, my valuables, and my gun are: in the safe at home.

But since the law requires to keep it on you at all times, I wonder where you law-abiding people keep it during sex, in the sauna, or in the shower. The only place i can think of is very dark and I won't slide it in there, no way!

Hence, since many people use common sense anyway, I keep it in the safe. Always. Except, when I'm traveling outside the country, that is.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.