Zarathustra

Travelling outside of US / Getting a new job while my conditional Green Card is expired

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Apologies, I feel like I'm asking a pretty rudimentary question....... but I searched through the first 20 pages of the 'removing conditions' forum and also tried searching on the word 'stamp'..... and didn't see a discussion on this exact issue.......

My conditional Green Card is going to expire in a few days time (10/23/2009), and I have received my NOA1 which states that my 'conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year'. I have attended by biometric appointment and await a decision or or communication. So far, so good....

From a few asides that I have found in VJ it seems that a combination of my expired Green Card and the original NOA1 letter might be sufficient for me to re-enter the US. Is that correct? I'd feel safer if I had an I-551 stamp in my passport. Is it possible to fro me to make an INFOPASS appointment in this circumstance and receive a stamp in my UK passport once the conditional Green Card expires?

Also, I have been working since I got my conditional Green Card, but have just ceased to work and am job-hunting as we speak. Looking at the I-9 form, it doesn't mention whether the expired Green Card/NOA1 is sufficient proof of employment authorisation - wouldn't I need an I-551 stamp in my passport in this circumstance?

Any advice from anyone who has been in either circumstance would be welcomed.

Thanks for your time, Z.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil."

Filed: Other Timeline

You are a LPR with a green card and a document extending its validity until 10-23-2010, at which time you will have a new card. Very unlikely that they will stamp your passport because of your personal doubts in the US Government. Are lawful permanent residents are allowed to work? Hmmm . . . that's a tough one.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Thanks for the responses - I do feel reassured on hearing that there are no problems re-entering the US in this circumstance.

I guess I was more concerned about a prospective employer recognising the GC/NOA1 as sufficient proof as employment verification...

I'm not sure what else you can give them. Even if you went to an Infopass appt, I'd be surprised if they stamped your passport given the fact that you've received the extension letter.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Woah - I just posted this very same question:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225016

My green card expired 10-22-09 - one day before yours, and I did the biometrics thing in September.

I plan to travel in December and Its a relief to hear that all we need is the expired card and the NOA letter. Will they still run my expired green card through a reader when at the check in process?

Keith

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes. And the reader actually recognizes the extension as well.

They will still treat you like a criminal, fingerprints, photo and all.

If the California Service Center is where you sent your I-765, you should have your new card before December.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Yes. And the reader actually recognizes the extension as well.

If the California Service Center is where you sent your I-765, you should have your new card before December.

Excellent - this is exactly what I wanted to hear - I appreciate this information JustBob, as it sets my mind at ease when I go to travel. Yes - I did file with The California service center. Now I know what to expect when I get there. Even though I know I've got all y paperwork and my answers, I still always feel nervous about the immirgation part. LOL

By the way - is it a good idea to take some sort of documentation with me that proves i have a job in the US?

Keith

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

This is true!! :-) some of the officers really give you a hard time... I wonder if that changes with the 10-year GC...

Edited by Coco&Kitten

This is true!! :-) some of the officers really give you a hard time... I wonder if that changes with the 10-year GC...

I really do hope so!

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Good news - I see that my status has been changed to 'card production ordered' today!!

Given that the card has been ordered on 4th December and it may well not arrive at my house before 21st December (when I travel back to England), am I still good with travelling with the extension letter? or has that been overridden because of the decision?

Apologies, I feel like I'm asking a pretty rudimentary question....... but I searched through the first 20 pages of the 'removing conditions' forum and also tried searching on the word 'stamp'..... and didn't see a discussion on this exact issue.......

My conditional Green Card is going to expire in a few days time (10/23/2009), and I have received my NOA1 which states that my 'conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year'. I have attended by biometric appointment and await a decision or or communication. So far, so good....

From a few asides that I have found in VJ it seems that a combination of my expired Green Card and the original NOA1 letter might be sufficient for me to re-enter the US. Is that correct? I'd feel safer if I had an I-551 stamp in my passport. Is it possible to fro me to make an INFOPASS appointment in this circumstance and receive a stamp in my UK passport once the conditional Green Card expires?

Also, I have been working since I got my conditional Green Card, but have just ceased to work and am job-hunting as we speak. Looking at the I-9 form, it doesn't mention whether the expired Green Card/NOA1 is sufficient proof of employment authorisation - wouldn't I need an I-551 stamp in my passport in this circumstance?

Thanks for your time, Z.

Although I saw your post that the card is ordered (congratulations), but it is important to answer the second part of your question - for future readers.

Yes, for employment verifications, you can provide your employer your expired GC with the NOA. They, by law, are required to accept it and not even question it.

You can find the Employee Manual at this location http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/m-274.pdf

And page 9, at the bottom of the page and table states the following for acceptable employment authorization documents:

"An expired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) and Form I-797 “Notice of Action” from USCIS stating that the Permanent Resident Card has been extended for 1 year"

Hope this helps!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks for your time, Z.

Although I saw your post that the card is ordered (congratulations), but it is important to answer the second part of your question - for future readers.

Yes, for employment verifications, you can provide your employer your expired GC with the NOA. They, by law, are required to accept it and not even question it.

You can find the Employee Manual at this location http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/m-274.pdf

And page 9, at the bottom of the page and table states the following for acceptable employment authorization documents:

"An expired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) and Form I-797 “Notice of Action” from USCIS stating that the Permanent Resident Card has been extended for 1 year"

Hope this helps!

Understand that an employer may not be conversant with this aspect of the law. So there may be a question about it.

Best to have the citation available to show the employer / HR department.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Thanks for your time, Z.

Hope this helps!

Understand that an employer may not be conversant with this aspect of the law. So there may be a question about it.

Best to have the citation available to show the employer / HR department.

Very true! It is always a good idea to have this page printed out, however, it is not the employee's job to do so. HR departments must have this handbook available.

In any case, at least we know that we can provide an expired GC with the NOA letter and still be able to verify employment eligibility.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.