23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello.

I entered the US as K-1 and got married. I filed AOS 2 weeks ago and have not heard from USCIS yet.

To get a driver's license or photo ID, I went to DMV. On their website, they listed what I needed as a K-1 visa holder so

I brought everything they requested.

They were inexperienced with my situation and they looked up INS website to check my immigration status. They told me

it showed that ' further verification needed' so, practically I did not have any legal status.

For me I have followed every step legally, and now am married to a US citizen. I was very upset that they treated me like illegal.

A lot of people on this website have obtained their driver's license when they were K-1 or waiting for AOS.

They were not sure about my situation and told me they will have their headquater decide if they would give me ID or not.

Do I have to wait to receive EAD to get a state ID or driver's license?

If you have dealt with DMV before you received your EAD, please let me hear your story.

Thank you

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello.

I entered the US as K-1 and got married. I filed AOS 2 weeks ago and have not heard from USCIS yet.

To get a driver's license or photo ID, I went to DMV. On their website, they listed what I needed as a K-1 visa holder so

I brought everything they requested.

They were inexperienced with my situation and they looked up INS website to check my immigration status. They told me

it showed that ' further verification needed' so, practically I did not have any legal status.

For me I have followed every step legally, and now am married to a US citizen. I was very upset that they treated me like illegal.

A lot of people on this website have obtained their driver's license when they were K-1 or waiting for AOS.

They were not sure about my situation and told me they will have their headquater decide if they would give me ID or not.

Do I have to wait to receive EAD to get a state ID or driver's license?

If you have dealt with DMV before you received your EAD, please let me hear your story.

Thank you

Im not sure how it works there in PA, but here in CA even tourist can get state ID as long as I-94 is at least 2 months valid. I got my state ID even before i filed AOS.

12/29/2007 Got married in the Philippines
03/28/2008 Got 10yr B1/B2 visa
04/12/2008 Arrived in US under B1/B2 visa
08/06/2008 Filed I-539 visa extension
10/23/2008 I-539 approved
02/23/2009 USC wife filed I-130 Chicago Lockbox
02/26/2009 I-130 delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02/27/2009 Medical exam I-693
03/01/2009 Negative result on TB skin test
03/04/2009 I-130 received by California Service Center
03/05/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/06/2009 Medical Exam form I-693 released by civil surgeon
03/07/2009 NOA Receipt Notice for I-130
03/14/2009 Mailed I-485, I-864, I-693, I-765 & I-131 thru USPS
03/16/2009 "The Package" delivered to Chicago Lockbox
03/16/2009 I-94 expired after 11 months since arrival
03/25/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/26/2009 Received NOA for I-485, I-765, I-131
03/28/2009 Received notice for Biometrics Appointment (April 9)
04/02/2009 Approval Notice for I-130 received
04/09/2009 Biometrics done
05/07/2009 Received Advance Parole Document
05/08/2009 Received Interview Letter
05/09/2009 Received EAD card
05/11/2009 Applied for SSN
05/16/2009 Received SSN
06/23/2009 AOS interview approved
06/27/2009 Welcome Letter received
07/05/2009 Green Card received
06/01/2011 Mailed I-751 Form
06/07/2011 Received NOA for I-751
07/11/2011 Biometrics Done

03/19/2015 Mailed N-400

03/30/2015 NOA Received

04/15/2015 Biometrics Appointment

06/23/2015 Interview

07/22/2015 Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

In our case my wife came on a K-3 and we were able to apply for her license with her passport, visa, I-94 and social security card. You will need an EAD in order to apply for a SSN ...

-D

Edited by RooDee

06/12/09 - POE at Newark (K3)

07/01/09 - I-485 and I-765 mailed

07/06/09 - USCIS received (date on NOA1)

07/13/09 - NOA1 received for both I-485 and I-765 !

08/08/09 - Biometric appointment

08/25/09 - AOS interview letter notice date

09/24/09 - AOS interview

10/03/09 - Received GC !!

Timeline

Thank you both of you for sharing your thoughts.

I think my problem was that my I-94 was expired. I thought the rule was I had to be married by the expiration date,

but I guess it doesn not work for hard-headed city workers. They specifically listed what K-1 visa holder needed to

get a driver's license, and I had everything. I called DMV and they told me that the decision depends on the clerk

I am assigned to. So it is just my luck? it is ridiculous.

They told me I will received a letter from their DMV headquaters with the decision if i can get ID or not.

I cannot change my name on SSN, I cannot get a ID or driver's license while I wait for EAD or greencard. It is like

they are telling me to hide in the house.

In our Texas DMV office I've been told that I'm not eligible for driving licence.

With me I had:

passport

SSN

marrige licence (or certificate? :) In short, the document to prove my new family name)

My Husband's passport

They made my husband really mad there because they told me to wait for a green card!

We went to another office, there was a very pleasant guy at the information desk. He explained that according to their rules my I94 should be valid for not less than a year. Of course I told him that K1 visa lets usto have it for three months only. That's why, he replied, it is impossible for K1 holders to get their driving licence right away.

He said to wait for EAD and come back with it. It'll prove that I'm going to stay here and my docs are in process.

Yes, there are people who can get their DL. BUT! They are just lucky and/or workers at their local DMV offices are not experieced.

Don't be sad like I was :) It's just another month or two away.

Edited by Dusseldorf

My Art and Handmade Gifts

10. 10. 2008 - sent the petition

10. 16. 2008 - NOA1

04. 10. 2009 - sent letters to senators and asked for help

04. 17. 2009 - service request

04. 20. 2009 - filled senator's form which we got from him

04. 30. 2009 - another senator called us up

05. 04. 2009 - NOA2

05. 08. 2009 - NVC

06. 16. 2009 - interview (8 months since NOA1) passed

07. 03. 2009 - leaving for Texas. Go Rangers

07. 25. 2009 - officially married

08. 28. 2009 - AOS process started

09. 08. 2009 - NOA1

09. 30. 2009 - AP approved

10. 02. 2009 - I485 was forwarded to California, yay!

10. 13. 2009 - biometrics

10. 13. 2009 - EAD production was ordered

01. 04. 2010 - AOS approved

Done till Oct 2011!

11. 11. 2011 - I 751 filed

11. 16. 2011 - NOA1

12. 16. 2011 - Biometrics

04. 16. 2012 - ROC Approved

10. 10. 2012 - N 400 filed

10. 15. 2012 - NOA1

11. 15. 2012 - Biometrics

12. 04. 2012 - In line for the interview

01. 14. 2013 - Interview

01. 25. 2013 - Oath ceremony

Timeline

Thank you for your response. Your experience sounds very similar to mine.

They told me it would be easier if I had EAD. I was mad because they even listed requirements

for k-1 visa holders on their website but their employee had no idea what it was.

Today I found my check was cashed by USCIS. I guess it is going to be a couple months wait for me too.

Thank you, you cheered me up ;)

In our Texas DMV office I've been told that I'm not eligible for driving licence.

With me I had:

passport

SSN

marrige licence (or certificate? :) In short, the document to prove my new family name)

My Husband's passport

They made my husband really mad there because they told me to wait for a green card!

We went to another office, there was a very pleasant guy at the information desk. He explained that according to their rules my I94 should be valid for not less than a year. Of course I told him that K1 visa lets usto have it for three months only. That's why, he replied, it is impossible for K1 holders to get their driving licence right away.

He said to wait for EAD and come back with it. It'll prove that I'm going to stay here and my docs are in process.

Yes, there are people who can get their DL. BUT! They are just lucky and/or workers at their local DMV offices are not experieced.

Don't be sad like I was :) It's just another month or two away.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Here is the document your looking for:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_...ts/pub195nc.pdf

Btw, I found out earlier this week in another thread that PA allows you to use your foreign license for an entire year!

Edited by lancer1655

Oh yes, that's almost what happened to me.

When I went to the DMV office for the first time just to find out if I can come back in a couple of days (after reading the rules :) ) and pass the test, they said no problem and gave me the list of documents. That's why I was so sure that I was going to make it work. Seems that sometimes they don't know what are they doing there!

Congratulations with NOA1! :star:

Thank you for your response. Your experience sounds very similar to mine.

They told me it would be easier if I had EAD. I was mad because they even listed requirements

for k-1 visa holders on their website but their employee had no idea what it was.

Today I found my check was cashed by USCIS. I guess it is going to be a couple months wait for me too.

Thank you, you cheered me up ;)

My Art and Handmade Gifts

10. 10. 2008 - sent the petition

10. 16. 2008 - NOA1

04. 10. 2009 - sent letters to senators and asked for help

04. 17. 2009 - service request

04. 20. 2009 - filled senator's form which we got from him

04. 30. 2009 - another senator called us up

05. 04. 2009 - NOA2

05. 08. 2009 - NVC

06. 16. 2009 - interview (8 months since NOA1) passed

07. 03. 2009 - leaving for Texas. Go Rangers

07. 25. 2009 - officially married

08. 28. 2009 - AOS process started

09. 08. 2009 - NOA1

09. 30. 2009 - AP approved

10. 02. 2009 - I485 was forwarded to California, yay!

10. 13. 2009 - biometrics

10. 13. 2009 - EAD production was ordered

01. 04. 2010 - AOS approved

Done till Oct 2011!

11. 11. 2011 - I 751 filed

11. 16. 2011 - NOA1

12. 16. 2011 - Biometrics

04. 16. 2012 - ROC Approved

10. 10. 2012 - N 400 filed

10. 15. 2012 - NOA1

11. 15. 2012 - Biometrics

12. 04. 2012 - In line for the interview

01. 14. 2013 - Interview

01. 25. 2013 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Im in Nebraska

We got married and a few days after went over to the DMV.

I brought with me

- couple of envelopes with our names and address on it

- my canadian passport with I-94 in it

- canadian drivers license

- marriage certificate

When we got there I had to fill out a form and they took me into this back room area took all my information and the woman said that I would have to take a test on their computer of 25 questions, and i have to get 20 of them right to pass. She told me I had to take this test because it was part of canadas license change agreement and that if i pass i can get a full nebraska drivers license. After this she said she just had to check in the system and make sure that i was able to get my license and she said it would take 5 mins to do a legality check. ( this is about 2 weeks after i entered on my k-1 ) After a few minutes she said i was good to go and she took a photo of me and told me to take the test, I took and passed the test and they gave me a paper i could use till my license came in the mail and that only took about a week and a half to get it in the mail.

I didnt need SSN, AOS, or EAD or anything to get mine.

Just filed AOS this week actually :star:

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Thank you for looking into my situation.

I saw the same website and brought all documents, still they didnt give me a license.

They just trust their computer and they didnt even see if I have all documents listed on THEIR website.

Btw, I found out earlier this week in another thread that PA allows you to use your foreign license for an entire year!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline
You will need an EAD in order to apply for a SSN ...

Is this true?? If so, the VJ K1 flowchart is wrong...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow

(EDITED)

Nm... I found the reason. K1 vs K3 differ:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

The Application Process:

:: For K1 Visa Holders ::

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do

not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA

offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior

to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your

record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the

USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they can not verify you arrival record via the SAVE database, you may allow them to to process it (but remember the potential delay for manual verifications). You can ask if they will check the computer again for you in a few days or return personally to have them look again -- thus eliminating the manual verification. The manual verification will require the SSA office to file a G-845 with the USCIS.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These

documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).

2. your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)

3. your valid I-94

4. another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

5. You should also bring the document RM 00203.500 that you printed out

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware

that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not

you could be turned away incorrectly.

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks. You can check on the status of the SSN application and/or often get the SSN in advance by returning in person (try calling) to the SSA office. If you need your SSN before it arrives in the mail you may ask them for an SSA-7028, Notice to Third Party of Social Security Number Assignments, to be sent to your employer or other interested third party once a SSN has been assigned. Your card, when you receive it, will be marked with the words "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" indicating to an employer that you must also have an unexpired EAD to be eligible to work.

:: For K2, K3, K4 Visa Holders ::

As a holder of a K2, K3 or K4 visa you must first have an EAD from the USCIS. You will be required to

show this to the SSA agency to be eligible to receive a SSN.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring:

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).

2. Passport (with the K-2, K-3, or K-4 Visa in it)

3. your valid I-94

4. another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

5. A valid EAD

Only persons age 12 and older must apply in person. A derivitive visa beneficiary (K2 for example) may

elect to have their parent (the K1 for example) apply on their behalf (they will still need all the required

documents). The SSA will most likely need to verify the validity of the EAD and will make a copy to send to the USCIS as part of the SSN processing. Once they verify the EAD you will receive your SSN card in the mail.

You can check on the status of your SSN application and/or often get the SSN in advance by returning in person to the SSA office. If you need your SSN before it arrives in the mail you may ask them for an SSA-7028, Notice to Third Party of Social Security Number Assignments, to be sent to your employer or other interested third party once a SSN has been assigned. Your card, when you receive it, will be marked with the words "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" indicating to an employer that you must also have an unexpired EAD to be eligible to work.

Edited by Deryck and Miho

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Each state is required by federal law to obtain official proof that one is here legally. The reason is that Virginia issued drivers' licenses that provided IDs to those who then trained as pilots and flew the planes that caused 9/11. They had fake IDs to get their Virginia licenses.

A K-1, marriage license, I-94 is not regarded as such evidence. Once a person's application for AOS has been accepted (NOA1) that document is sufficient proof in Virginia. Others require the EAD, and others still may hold out for the GC. A drivers' license is valid until such time as a GC is issued, and then only for two years.

Respecting the origin of these laws/regulations, it's hard to object.

To get the SSN, it's necessary to have the EAD. But then a SSN by itself is of no use.

Edited by Old Dominion

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thank you! This was very kind and helpful of you to post. Im a PA resident and need to know what im up against. When hubby comes and we do this, Im going to print a copy of this and take it with me to the DMV so they'll know! Thanks again... :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Part of your problem was that your I-94 was expired. It is no longer proof of a valid status in the US and you need to have proof of valid legal status in the US in order to get a Driver's License. Here in Georgia they will only issue DL or state IDs for the same length of time as the immigration document validity so in Georgia you would have to wait as well until you got your green card or your EAD. I had to wait until I got my EAD before they would give me a DL because the I-94 didn't have enough time left on it before it was out of status.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Thank you everyone.

1-94 for K-1 visa holder is only valid for 3 months which is the same amount of time to get married.

It is just not enough time to get married, apply for AOS, file marriage documents for your country, apply for driver's license.

I guess we just have to wait to hear from USCIS again... this time it is not so bad because we are already with our spouses.

I will post a message again when I receive a letter from their headquaters for the decision they would give me a license.

thank you all and good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.