Francksgirl

? about the I-134 form if you have been divorced with kids involved & child support!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

My question is.......

Our lawyer advised us only to put my salary on this form. There is nowhere on the form to put money from my ex for child support or maintenance. My ex has Primary custody of both kids, but we have joint custody and I have the kids 90% of the time. My ex will be claiming both children on his taxes, not me. Do I need to put this information on the form, or just leave my salary with what I make on here like our lawyer told advised us. Our Lawyer wasn't the brightest lightbulb in the world.........wish that I had known about this website before! I would have saved a $1,000.00!!!!!!! Please help if any of you have information on this! I couldn't find any.......

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
My question is.......

Our lawyer advised us only to put my salary on this form. There is nowhere on the form to put money from my ex for child support or maintenance. My ex has Primary custody of both kids, but we have joint custody and I have the kids 90% of the time. My ex will be claiming both children on his taxes, not me. Do I need to put this information on the form, or just leave my salary with what I make on here like our lawyer told advised us. Our Lawyer wasn't the brightest lightbulb in the world.........wish that I had known about this website before! I would have saved a $1,000.00!!!!!!! Please help if any of you have information on this! I couldn't find any.......

If your salary easily exceeds the amount required to sponsor, that's all you need to document.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

My question is.......

If your salary easily exceeds the amount required to sponsor, that's all you need to document.

:thumbs:

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Your lawyer was 100% correct. The $$$ you rec'v from child support SHOULD NOT be included in the I-134 because that money is for your kids. You can't use THAT money to support your fiance--that would be illegal--so why should they count it? You SHOULD write that the kids are only PARTIALLY dependent on you for support, since some % of the $$ for their care comes from the child support. That will decrease the weight of the fact that your income needs to be--in theory-- enough (125%) to support a family of 4.

Edited by brlukath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Your lawyer was 100% correct. The $$$ you rec'v from child support SHOULD NOT be included in the I-134 because that money is for your kids. You can't use THAT money to support your fiance--that would be illegal--so why should they count it? You SHOULD write that the kids are only PARTIALLY dependent on you for support, since some % of the $$ for their care comes from the child support. That will decrease the weight of the fact that your income needs to be--in theory-- enough (125%) to support a family of 4.

Not true. It is family income and is counted and accepted if it is supported with a court order and proof of payment. The I-134 counts FAMILY size and FAMILY income from one person. Child support most defintely counts. (Unless in some rare case it is paid directly to the child) To say it is "for the children" you would also have to remove the children from the family size count as they have "their own income"... preposterous.

If your regular employment is enough you do not need to count child support, that is true. If you need to count it then add it to your "current income" from your job and attach a sheet explaining the source along with documentation. You ARE allowed to have more than one source of income and are allowed to list them. The I-134 is a convenience form used for a lot of people for a lot of visas, customize with attachments as you see fit.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

My question is.......

That's good to know - I had exactly the same question. I thought it would be relevant because they calculate your income to poverty level ratio based on the size of your household, don't they?

Edited by Christi and Ian

Marriage : 2009-06-30

CSC: 155 days

I-130: 2009-10-01

NOA1: 2009-10-15

NOA2: 2010-03-05

I-129F: 2009-10-16

NOA1: 2009-10-23

NVC: 60 days

Case #: 2010-03-11

AOS Paid: 2010-03-15

IV Bill Paid: 2010-03-24

Package Sent: 2010-03-29

AVR says received: 2010-04-02

RFE: 2010-04-13

Sign in Fail: 2010-05-10

CONSULATE: 17 days

Medical: 2010-06-04

Interview: 2010-06-15 - APPROVED!

Visa rcv'd: 2010-06-21

POE: 2010-06-29 LAX (286 Days from when we started this whole mess!)

CSC- ROC

Mailed 2012-06-05

NOA1 2012-06-07

Biometrics 2012-07-16

RFE 2013-02-06

Timeline
My question is.......

That's good to know - I had exactly the same question. I thought it would be relevant because they calculate your income to poverty level ratio based on the size of your household, don't they?

Pushbrk is also correct. If the salary exceeds the guidelines (my guess is her salary does) then there is no need to list the child support and they may be what her lawyer refeered to. If you list the child support as income you also have to document it and if her income is enough, why bother? It is not required to list all your income on the I-134.

Gary And Alla

That's a relief - I wasn't sure if it was something akin to taxes, where you have to report all of your income - but if it's just verifying that you can support your household, that's a load off of my mind.

Marriage : 2009-06-30

CSC: 155 days

I-130: 2009-10-01

NOA1: 2009-10-15

I-129F: 2009-10-16

NOA1: 2009-10-23

NVC: 60 days

Case #: 2010-03-11

AOS Paid: 2010-03-15

IV Bill Paid: 2010-03-24

Package Sent: 2010-03-29

AVR says received: 2010-04-02

RFE: 2010-04-13

Sign in Fail: 2010-05-10

CONSULATE: 17 days

Medical: 2010-06-04

Interview: 2010-06-15 - APPROVED!

Visa rcv'd: 2010-06-21

POE: 2010-06-29 LAX (286 Days from when we started this whole mess!)

CSC- ROC

Mailed 2012-06-05

NOA1 2012-06-07

Biometrics 2012-07-16

RFE 2013-02-06

Timeline
That's a relief - I wasn't sure if it was something akin to taxes, where you have to report all of your income - but if it's just verifying that you can support your household, that's a load off of my mind.

Nope. My I-134s and I-864s stated one figure as current income, my tax returns showed another number (higher) and my bank letters showed another number for deposits, higher yet.

It is not necessary to claim ALL income if you do not want to bother verifying it, not all income is taxable (such as child support among others) and does not show on a tax return. If you can verify it, you can count it, but if you don't need it, why bother? It is a svere penalty to not report "material evidence" but that you have additional income over and above the requirements is not "material" to their decision.

Gary And Alla

Ok, my question is the opposite...

Household size is based on tax report? My fiance pays child support, but the children are *not* on his tax and live full time with their mother, and she is the one to declare them and get their tax returns. We want to know if we count household with or without the children, I am guessing without...

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

ROC Journey:-

05.12.2012 -- Mailed I-751 packet

05.21.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

05.30.2012 -- Biometric notice issued

06.06.2012 -- Biometrics Date (walk-in). Was scheduled for 06/14

xx.xx.2012 -- Card Production Ordered.

xx.xx.2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

Household size is based on tax report? My fiance pays child support, but the children are *not* on his tax and live full time with their mother, and she is the one to declare them and get their tax returns. We want to know if we count household with or without the children, I am guessing without...

Household size is not based on what you report for taxes. It is based on dependents. Your minor children are your dependents even if you don't claim them on your tax return. This is covered in the I-864 instructions for figuring household size.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

we don't need that form though........just the I-134 form---I'm just leaving it alone......My income exceeds what I should be making without needing to claim the childsupport, so if they look into it..........it will be plenty...

Household size is not based on what you report for taxes. It is based on dependents. Your minor children are your dependents even if you don't claim them on your tax return. This is covered in the I-864 instructions for figuring household size.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Child support is one of those things you can use on documents if it helps you or leave it off if you choose to. I've come across this many times throughout the years.

I agree....if your salary is enough, leave it off.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
we don't need that form though........just the I-134 form---I'm just leaving it alone......My income exceeds what I should be making without needing to claim the childsupport, so if they look into it..........it will be plenty...

yep. I didnt include child support on mine because my income was more than enough, no need to complicate anything :)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think Gary and Alla are absolute jewels....I had this problem too, my income isnt enough for a family of 3 until I ADDED my court ordered child support paperwork and the bank statements showing CHILD SUPPORT CLEARINGHOUSE $ deposited weekly for the last year....soo my stewing away till my interview is slightly reduced....God bless VJ!!!! lol....

b2gel0s1sc.png

We're a April 2009 K1 filer, see our timeline for specifics....:-)

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Date Filed : 2009-01-31

Date: 2010-02-02

Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-09

EAD received: 2010-04-01

Interview Date 2010-04-29--APPROVED!

VISA IN HAND: 2010-05-28--WAHOOO!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.