Gigzapper

Easiest way to send money

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

After dealing with Western Union and MoneyGram I found they are way too expensive. Go to WalMart (or go online even) and get a WalMart Green Dot card. Get 2 cards - One in the US citizens name (so it's easy to put money on the card (only $3) and one in the foreign Fiancee name. The Finacee can use the ATM (extra $3 per use though) use it like a credit / debit card, pay for Visa fees, medical exam fees and do everything without any fuss. You can get a daily SMS or e-mail with the balance. Once the card arrives in e-mail send to fiance, put money on it by just stopping by WalMart. I found this is a lot cheaper (for the 6 or so months while we're working though the Visa process) and more convenient than using WU or MG.

Hope this helps!

(Just finished medical exam and interview on Oct 8th! Woohoo - almost here!)

Chuck and Rhean

Charles and Rhean

I-129F

02-xx-2008 Met online on MyForeignBride.com

03-21-2009 Travelled to Philippines to meet

03-31-2009 Sent out I -129F by FedEx

04-01-2009 NOA 1

08-31-2009 NOA 2 (what a long wait!)

09-04-2009 NVC received I-129F

09-11-2009 Embassy received I-129F

09-30-2009 Medical exam passed

10-08-2009 Interview passed - 3 mintues!

10-08-2009 - 10-14-2009 - Stuck in Manila from typhoon / mudslides in Baguio!

10-20-2009 Travel to USA! Finally here - not even mother nature can keep us apart!

10-22-2009 Apply for SSN

Timeline

Sounds interesting ... I use me Visa card as a way to do money transactions. As long as I call my Visa office to tell them it is being used overseas .. everything goes well ... otherwise they think it has been misused.

I didn't think Walmart card would be good worldwide.

VERY VERY INTERESTING

Rosie and David

single 15 years married 5 months ....now I know what peaks and valleys are in life. LOVE my wife hehehe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
After dealing with Western Union and MoneyGram I found they are way too expensive. Go to WalMart (or go online even) and get a WalMart Green Dot card. Get 2 cards - One in the US citizens name (so it's easy to put money on the card (only $3) and one in the foreign Fiancee name. The Finacee can use the ATM (extra $3 per use though) use it like a credit / debit card, pay for Visa fees, medical exam fees and do everything without any fuss. You can get a daily SMS or e-mail with the balance. Once the card arrives in e-mail send to fiance, put money on it by just stopping by WalMart. I found this is a lot cheaper (for the 6 or so months while we're working though the Visa process) and more convenient than using WU or MG.

Hope this helps!

Chuck and Rhean

I did the same thing with a bank ATM card. I opened a a different account at my bank and mailed my fience the atm card. now i can transfer money to her account online and she just goes to any Atm to take it out there is a fee for using a out of network TM but it is cheep compaird to WU

Oct. 2008 met Sa on Thaikisses and started chatting

Nov. Started daily phone calls

Dec. 2008 started dating (Boyfriend/ Girlfriend)

May 5, 2009 May 11, 2009 Trip to Thailand

July 2009 Engaged

Aug 2009 started I-129F

Sept 22, 2009 mailed I-129F

Sept 24, 2009 check cashed

Sept 24, 2009 NOA 1 Dated

Sept 27, 2009 NOA 1 received (Hardcopy)

Dec. 18, 2009 NOA 2 Dated(no email)

Dec. 24, 2009 NOA 2 Hardcopy

Dec. 28, 2009 NVC received but not sent to Embassy

Dec. 28, 2009 Sa maied Packet 3 to Embassy

Dec. 29, 2009 NVC forward to Bangkok, Embassy. Tracking by DHL

Jan. 03, 2010 Received by Bangkok Embassy

Jan. 06, 2010 Received email from embassy interview is set for Jan22.

Jan. 22, 2010 Interview at BKK Embassy passed

Jan. 27, 2010 Picked up Visa

Its not about how you pick your nose its what you do with the booger!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hope this helps!

Chuck and Rhean

100% worry -free using my WalmartMoney card. I dont have to carry with me large amount of cash paying my hotel accommodation. I have an easy access encashing the amount needed for my medical exam as well as on my application fee paid at Banco de Oro. Indeed,Saved me the trouble of running to the Western Union office going over long lines or afraid it might fall on a holiday ,worse if its stormy for few days . Besides I am able to check how much money I used,how much is left thru the email balance Walmart sends. My fiance is able to check how i handle money, so do i. To those couples out there, I highly recommend Walmart money Card. :star::star::star::star::star:

"I will remain to be yours forever,My Love. I love you soOOo much,Honey! The mOst GOrgeous Man ever in Austin!"

--Rhean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles and Rhean

I-129F

02-xx-2008 Met online

04-01-2009 NOA 1

10-08-2009 Interview ...a SUCCESS!

10-20-2009 POE..Minneapolis

10-22-2009 SSN..woohooo!

12-27-2009 Got Married!!!

AOS Timeline

01-07-10 Received changed name Social Security Number

01-10-10 Mailed AOS, EAD, AP via USPS

01-13-10 AOS packet touched , January 13, 2010, 8:10 am, CHICAGO, IL 60680

01-19-10 AOS, EAD, AP NOA1

02-19-10 Biometrics Appointment

02-19-10 Biometrics done!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I use iKobo. Works like a champ.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I had heard they folded? Are they still in business? I looked into them at one time and it seemed interesting BUT

We send money ebery month to our son in Moscow and my MIL in Ukraine. But when I checked on these, and seems like Walmart is kind of the same, the fees were running $6-10 on both ends combined for each transfer. Right now we pay $10 per transfer with MoneyGram (MUCH cheaper than WU, WU can kiss my @ss!!) And it didn't seem like it would save alot, especially if Sergey decides to take his monthly allowance in $10 increments or something! So I have stayed with the MoneyGram so far. It takes more than a savings of $4 to lure ME into Walmart, besides we are Walmart Poor in Vermont (only ONE in the state) so I would spend more in gas.

The ATM worked for me for a time until my bank shut it down when they found out my fiancee was using it and she was not on the account, they were none too happy about that and if I had not been a longtime customer they probably would have launched me right out of there!!!!!!! So be careful if you are usingt an ATM for this. This technique is highly suspicious to US authorities and banks do NOT want to be involved with this. I am not saying you are a bad guy or something, but lots of bad guys do this to transfer money. Banks tend not to like it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I had heard they folded? Are they still in business? I looked into them at one time and it seemed interesting BUT

We send money ebery month to our son in Moscow and my MIL in Ukraine. But when I checked on these, and seems like Walmart is kind of the same, the fees were running $6-10 on both ends combined for each transfer. Right now we pay $10 per transfer with MoneyGram (MUCH cheaper than WU, WU can kiss my @ss!!) And it didn't seem like it would save alot, especially if Sergey decides to take his monthly allowance in $10 increments or something! So I have stayed with the MoneyGram so far. It takes more than a savings of $4 to lure ME into Walmart, besides we are Walmart Poor in Vermont (only ONE in the state) so I would spend more in gas.

The ATM worked for me for a time until my bank shut it down when they found out my fiancee was using it and she was not on the account, they were none too happy about that and if I had not been a longtime customer they probably would have launched me right out of there!!!!!!! So be careful if you are usingt an ATM for this. This technique is highly suspicious to US authorities and banks do NOT want to be involved with this. I am not saying you are a bad guy or something, but lots of bad guys do this to transfer money. Banks tend not to like it.

Wow - never thought of it looking suspicious! We use USAA bank, and they had no problems with it. I even told them what I was doing. I was able to add his name to the account using his passport number even while he was still in Morocco. After he got here, he opened an account to send money to his family - their names aren't on it, he just sent a card. Maybe USAA is more flexible because more of their members are overseas and there are also more international relationships?

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hope this helps!

Chuck and Rhean

Thanks for that info.

JNR

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

GREETINGS!!!

In reply to the foregoing statements,I quote...

" The ATM worked for me for a time until my bank shut it down when they found out my fiancee was using it and she was not on the account, they were none too happy about that and if I had not been a longtime customer they probably would have launched me right out of there!!!!!!! "....

Bullseye! US authorities and banks will surely be suspicious . Why? Because ur fiancee is NOT a legitimate co-owner of your account. Thus proper banking procedures were taken into effect.

As with my fiance and I, we both have our own ATM card with our respective name on it. And for the record, were not encountering any problem in connection with any banks nor US authorities as of presstime. Hence, I would say it works best for us! Modesty aside, my fiance works in a Federal government , so dragging his name into doing crappy stuff is a NO NO.

His post is a useful helpline to those couples who are exploring their options sending money to their loved ones local and overseas. I do hope couples and families who have availed WALMART MONEYCARD enjoys the benefits of its service.

Hope I gave justice to my fiance's sincere intention to be of help to others! ^_^

Thank you :star:^_^

"I will remain to be yours forever,My Love. I love you soOOo much,Honey! The mOst GOrgeous Man ever in Austin!"

--Rhean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles and Rhean

I-129F

02-xx-2008 Met online

04-01-2009 NOA 1

10-08-2009 Interview ...a SUCCESS!

10-20-2009 POE..Minneapolis

10-22-2009 SSN..woohooo!

12-27-2009 Got Married!!!

AOS Timeline

01-07-10 Received changed name Social Security Number

01-10-10 Mailed AOS, EAD, AP via USPS

01-13-10 AOS packet touched , January 13, 2010, 8:10 am, CHICAGO, IL 60680

01-19-10 AOS, EAD, AP NOA1

02-19-10 Biometrics Appointment

02-19-10 Biometrics done!

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Add your wife/fiancée to the account and have an ATM Card issued for her.

Any bank or credit union will do it for you. When you talk to them just explain that she isn't a Citizen or Resident yet and tell them you will need a W-8BEN form, they'll know what to do.

BTW, many online banks (mine is State Farm Bank) will rebate all ATM fees as they don't have brick-n-mortar locations.

I posted this information earlier this year in it's own thread.

Timeline

Wow - never thought of it looking suspicious! We use USAA bank, and they had no problems with it. I even told them what I was doing. I was able to add his name to the account using his passport number even while he was still in Morocco. After he got here, he opened an account to send money to his family - their names aren't on it, he just sent a card. Maybe USAA is more flexible because more of their members are overseas and there are also more international relationships?

venusfire

There is no law against someone suing your ATM card with your permission (There IS a law against them adding someont to an account with them appearing personally and precenting photo ID< WOW I am nit sure how you did that) But many banks have had to endure expensive and time consuming audits and simply do not allow people to do this. This summer Alla was in Russia and Ukraine for nearly two months and we notified the bank she would be there with her debit card. All was OK and then halfway through the vacation they shut down her card and we had to call and get it re-activated, it was some sort of automatic safety, I guess some banks watch that more closely. If you can do it, gret, it is the cheapest and easiest by far

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Add your wife/fiancée to the account and have an ATM Card issued for her.

Any bank or credit union will do it for you. When you talk to them just explain that she isn't a Citizen or Resident yet and tell them you will need a W-8BEN form, they'll know what to do.

BTW, many online banks (mine is State Farm Bank) will rebate all ATM fees as they don't have brick-n-mortar locations.

I posted this information earlier this year in it's own thread.

well, we are passed that now but thanks for the information. I was not aware of this form you mention and my bank flatly said NO WAY unless she appears with her passport to add her to my account before she was here. They even showed me the Patriot Act clause (but probably not the part bout the W88 or whatever that is) Good information, thanks

PS there is NO WAY I am adding our son to our account she HE can have a debit card. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hope this helps!

Chuck and Rhean

100% worry -free using my WalmartMoney card. I dont have to carry with me large amount of cash paying my hotel accommodation. I have an easy access encashing the amount needed for my medical exam as well as on my application fee paid at Banco de Oro. Indeed,Saved me the trouble of running to the Western Union office going over long lines or afraid it might fall on a holiday ,worse if its stormy for few days . Besides I am able to check how much money I used,how much is left thru the email balance Walmart sends. My fiance is able to check how i handle money, so do i. To those couples out there, I highly recommend Walmart money Card. :star::star::star::star::star:

What kind of limits apply to the dollar amounts both on the card and per withdrawal?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I have been using the wal-mart green dot system for close to a year. Have had no problem on either end. easy to use easy to withdraw. Just $3 dollars to load. Was using Western Union which was alot more expensive. For me anyways the debit card is the way to go unless you perfer to spend more money. Start up cost is 6 dollars for the cards then you logg on to the wal mart site instruct on the names and pin to be used on the cards. 5 to 10 days to get sent to you then pass on to your better half. There is a $3 dollar a month service charge on the card as well. Still cheaper than sending over and over again Western. Easy to add amounts with a stop by any wal-mart. To me is easy win win. :thumbs:

Time Line:

Met on-line: April 2006

First meeting: July 2006 Broacy great time. rained but so memorable

Second Meeting: March 2007 Met Family and friends 2 weeks time flue by

Third Meeting: October 2007 met friends and more family

Forth Meeting: October 2008 Engaged were it started Boracay 2 weeks in heaven

Petition sent in: May 5th postal over night with postal money order

Signed for at CSC: May 6th

Contacted USCS not received NOA1: June 12th. Got Receit number NOA! receipt sent to wrong address Corrected Stated NOA1 date said to be by contacted agent as 6 May

Touched: 31May for returned NOA1

Touched: 18 June asume to correct address

Touched: 07July Move from desk to desk. no change of status

NOA2: 12 Aug Sweet got e-mail notification of status changed to aproved!!

NOA2: 18 Aug Hard Copy arrived via snail mail yeepeee

NVC: 24 August received NVC stating fowarded to embasy petitioner will be contacted within week for instructions.

Embasy Letter: 4 September

Medical: 05/06 Ootober Passed..Yeepeee!

Interview 19 Octoober ...:::) Passed!!!!!!

Visa Dilivered: 22nd October Sweeeeeeet

POE: 29th Seattle then little flight to Spokane Yeeepeee my partner is home!!

Married: November 30th 2009 Journey complete!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.