David & Ellin

Proof of Ongoing Relationship

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is one visit enough to pass the interview at the Philippines. We met online at the end of February 2009. I visited in May 2009 for 10 days. We were together the whole time. We were formally engaged with an engagement party. I gave her a ring. I think i have enough proof of ongoing relationship. YM chat records for everyday, phone bills, emails, and 100's of pictures. I have a limited amount of vacation time. We both thought saving the time for when she arrives to adjust here and get kids enrolled in school would be better use of time than another visit. I plan to make the trip there to bring her back to the USA, and then have a week off. But I'm wondering if I need to make a trip for her interview to make sure there is more than one visit.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi I copy pasted this from the USCIS website. what is required is you two must have met at least once for the last 2 years.

"Eligibility Requirements

If you petition for a fiancé(e) visa, you must show that:

* You (the petitioner) are a U.S. citizen.

* You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States.

* You and your fiancé(e) are both free to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.

* You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:

1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.

2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you."

Hope this will help.

Please visit our website and make a difference in the lives of the children.www.gracegeneralsantos.org

Is one visit enough to pass the interview at the Philippines. We met online at the end of February 2009. I visited in May 2009 for 10 days. We were together the whole time. We were formally engaged with an engagement party. I gave her a ring. I think i have enough proof of ongoing relationship. YM chat records for everyday, phone bills, emails, and 100's of pictures. I have a limited amount of vacation time. We both thought saving the time for when she arrives to adjust here and get kids enrolled in school would be better use of time than another visit. I plan to make the trip there to bring her back to the USA, and then have a week off. But I'm wondering if I need to make a trip for her interview to make sure there is more than one visit.

Definitely helps to make more than one trip. COs most ALWAYS ask how many times you've met. Attending her interview is a big plus.

It's not only good for immigration but for your future relationship also. 10 days ain't much.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

i think it doesn't matter if you only met once as long as u have a proof that your relationship is genuine or as long as you can prove it to them. I and my fiance just met once also for 8days. He was supposed to come and visit me here in the Phils. last August for a week but unluckily...his supervisor just made his vacation for only 5 days so he decided not to come bec if he will come he could only spend time with me for 3days which is not a good idea. The fare is too expensive so it's better for him not to come and visit me. I am very optimistic that i will be with him soon bec i do trust God that our k1petition will be approved. God is good all the time....Goodluck and don't worry just have faith.CIAO!

Definitely helps to make more than one trip. COs most ALWAYS ask how many times you've met. Attending her interview is a big plus.

It's not only good for immigration but for your future relationship also. 10 days ain't much.

April 4, 2009: K1 petition sent to VSC

April 7, 2009: Received by USCIS(VSC)

April 11, 2009: NOA1 hard copy received by my fiance through mail

August 24, 2009: Touched and it says that Petition for Alien Fiancee was approved dated August 23, 2009

August 25, 2009: Touched again

August 28, 2009: Received by NVC

August 29, 2009: NOA2 hardcopy received by my fiance through mail

September 1, 2009: Fiance called at NVC (Under Additional Processing)

October 01, 2009: NVC left(Praise the Lord!!)

October 15, 2009: Interview...VISA APPROVED!!!

October 21, 2009: Received text from Air21 that my Visa will be delivered soon

October 22, 2009: VISA RECEIVED!!!

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME

i think it doesn't matter if you only met once as long as u have a proof that your relationship is genuine or as long as you can prove it to them. I and my fiance just met once also for 8days. He was supposed to come and visit me here in the Phils. last August for a week but unluckily...his supervisor just made his vacation for only 5 days so he decided not to come bec if he will come he could only spend time with me for 3days which is not a good idea. The fare is too expensive so it's better for him not to come and visit me. I am very optimistic that i will be with him soon bec i do trust God that our k1petition will be approved. God is good all the time....Goodluck and don't worry just have faith.CIAO!

"i do trust God that our k1petition will be approved. God is good all the time....Goodluck and don't worry just have faith.CIAO"

The COs will be your GOD for one day!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi I copy pasted this from the USCIS website. what is required is you two must have met at least once for the last 2 years.

* You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States.

* You and your fiancé(e) are both free to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.

* You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:

1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.

2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you."

Hope this will help.

That is the requirement in order to qualify to have a PETITION approved. In order to receive a VISA you have to prove to the consulate (NOT the USCIS) that you have a legitimate relations not for the purpose of evading immigration rules. One trip will not necessarily be enough, depends on the consulate.

I would suggest visitng as often as possible. I think when you say you "have limited vacation time" you may be referring to limited PAID vacation time. You are correct to assume you will need LOTS of time to support your family when they arrive, and will also have to feed them, clothe them buy school supplies, etc., etc. ad infinitum, so it is best to save your PAID vacation time for that (when you need the time AND the money)

I used several (many) days of unpaid vacation time to visit my fiance 5 times in the 6 month process from petition to her arrival. We had no questions asked at the interview.

Make it a priority and visit as much as you can.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hope this will help.

USCIS approves petitions but they do not approve visas. Getting a visa approved is an entirely different matter than getting a petition approved. Consular officers will evaluate whether the "relationship" is genuine, not simply that the couple met in person during the past two years. Lots of visas are approved when only one visit occurred. The key is interview preparation, not simply "evidence". Your fiancee needs to be prepared to confidently and accurately answer questions about you, your family, your life and your job as well as about your relationship.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Only 6 months chatting online and 'one' 10 day visit. Yes, that's enough to get the petition approved, but I'd say you'd want to visit a few more, times just for your own relationship to develope more than anything else. There's NO substitute for spending face-2-face time together.

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Only 6 months chatting online and 'one' 10 day visit. Yes, that's enough to get the petition approved, but I'd say you'd want to visit a few more, times just for your own relationship to develope more than anything else. There's NO substitute for spending face-2-face time together.

True story.

I would have thought you'd wana spend as much face 2 face time with the person your gona be spending the rest of life with as possible + she may not have asked but she might really appreciate you being there for support at the time of her interview if you're able to make the trip

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

:thumbs: take time now and get to know, you will see things the second time u didnt notice the first etc etc. If both lived in same city would u not spend more thant 10days total getting to know all the details

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline

This is a good thread...I guess it is all embassy specific? There is no doubt in my mind that embassies that have higher rates of fraud will be more likely to deny a visa when a couple has only met once in person....

At the same time, some embassies may be more likely to approve it...Myself I have only met my fiance once and did plan to go meet again, but it hasnt been able to happen, I just started a new job and cant take time off right away, Im trying to see if I can go for the interview though..it would be sad if our visa was denied for this reason because we have a genuine relationship :(

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Each relationship is different. Noone can say you must visit more than once; they do not know about your relationship.

As stated, you only need to meet once but have to prove your relationship is real at the consulate. This is two separate things and two separate proofs.

And different consulates treat the matter differently. You should go the Phils forum and ask this question specifically about the Embassy in Manila and what others' experiences were.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I see this all the time on this site. Just meeting the requirement. I mean, I think marriage is a pretty big deal - you're spending the rest of your days with this person. Your goal should be having a happy, life long marriage not just meeting the bare minimum requirements to you can get some paper work approved and pass the interview. If I were you I would visit as much as I can, not just to get a couple more trips under your belt, but to get some face time with "the love of your life"

Edited by dutchmatt

=================

K1 Section

=================

Sent I-129F - 03/25/2009

Visa in Hand -11/23/2009

US Entry - 11/26/2009

Wedding - 12/26/2009

=================

AOS Section

=================

AOS, EAD, AP Forms Sent - 01/06/2010

Biometrics - 02/11/2010

EAD/AP Approved - 02/23/2010

--------------------------------

Ceremonial Wedding - 06/17/2010

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I see this all the time on this site. Just meeting the requirement. I mean, I think marriage is a pretty big deal - you're spending the rest of your days with this person. Your goal should be having a happy, life long marriage not just meeting the bare minimum requirements to you can get some paper work approved and pass the interview. If I were you I would visit as much as I can, not just to get a couple more trips under your belt, but to get some face time with "the love of your life"

While I'm pretty sure most people including the OP would agree, this is a forum for immigration questions, not relationship advice. Many couples cannot arrange more than one visit due to practical concerns. They can still be successful in the immigration process and their relationships.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

"i do trust God that our k1petition will be approved. God is good all the time....Goodluck and don't worry just have faith.CIAO"

The COs will be your GOD for one day!

that is not something wise to say. Our CO was never and will never be our God.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.