Tarik

AR-11 change of adress ?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi.

I was reading a topic and the AR-11 change of address was mentioned. I entered the US with CR-1 and I changed my address 5 months ago but I've never heard about Ar-11 before today. Could somebody tell me if ppl with CR-1 are required to file that form ?

Thank you.

Timeline

Wow after doing some research I think I am required to file AR-11. I don't know what to do now.I'm getting ready to file I-751. Am I in trouble ??

Edited by Tarik

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Wow after doing some research I think I am required to file AR-11. I don't know what to do now.I'm getting ready to file I-751. Am I in trouble ??

You have to file AR-11 and I-865 and I just found that out. :bonk: .. my husband didn't file the I-865. I am almost about to file the I-751 and don't know what to do regarding his I-865.

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Until such time as you become a citizen or abandon your residency, you will always have the change of resident requirement.

When applicable, for the duration of the I-864, the sponsor also has the I-865 requirement as well.

If you have missed the filing requirement, file the needed forms ASAP

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

I-865 Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address, I don't think I need to file that because my wife is not my Sponsor.. My sponsor is my sister-in-law and she hasn't moved anywhere. am I right ???

You have to file AR-11 and I-865 and I just found that out. :bonk: .. my husband didn't file the I-865. I am almost about to file the I-751 and don't know what to do regarding his I-865.

Timeline

I will make sure he files asap. Thanks.

The I-865, as I have learned today, is the form for change of address from your sponsor. So if it is your sister in law and she hasn't moved, you don't need to file it.

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

12/2007 - AOS approved

12/2010 - Submitted N400

Timeline

My husband just mailed his I-865. I talked to a lawyer and he said it would be good to have everything in order before they receive my I-751.

He said a lot of people don't mail the I-865 and while it is required, there were very few cases that it became an issue (something related to received public fund benefits, etc).

Anyway, it was our fault we didn't see he also needed to file the I-865. But it is in the mail now... uff..

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

12/2007 - AOS approved

12/2010 - Submitted N400

I filed AR11 few days before filing I751, I got NOA w/ no issues. AFAIK, I-865 is not critical if your sponsor is a US citizen. I didn't file I-865.

There is a fine for not filing the I-865. Yes, it is unlikely that you will incur this fine, but why risk it?

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-865.pdf

If the sponsor fails to give notice of the change in his or her address, as required in 8 U.S.C. 1183 a(d) and 8 CFR 213a.3, the sponsor may be liable for the civil penalty established by 8 U.S.C. 1183 a(d).

http://law.onecle.com/uscode/8/1183a.html

(2) Penalty

Any person subject to the requirement of paragraph (1) who

fails to satisfy such requirement shall, after notice and

opportunity to be heard, be subject to a civil penalty of -

(A) not less than $250 or more than $2,000, or

(B ) if such failure occurs with knowledge that the sponsored

alien has received any means-tested public benefits (other than

benefits described in section 1611(b ), 1613©(2), or 1621(b )

of this title) not less than $2,000 or more than $5,000.

The Attorney General shall enforce this paragraph under

appropriate regulations.

Lots of people don't know about the I-865 and forget to file it. My husband was one of them. However, that doesn't negate the fact that you should still do it as soon as possible, if you are one of those who are finding out a little late.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

We filed the AR-11 and I-865 one year after we moved to the US. We used my husband's brother in law address for the I-130 and we were a little bit late filing the change of address. We just sent the I-751 and realized that I had not included the "old address" in Part 3 (point 9), but I never lived there... will they think it is weird if they look at the dates?

Kitten

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.